Sign in to follow this  
skipph

FSX Stops after 3 Seconds

Searched back about 23 pages and saw no mention of this one. For some reason FSX is not loading after running flawlessly for 2 months. Previous to this, I had the same problem and it ended with a total reinstall which I am trying to avoid agn if possible. The scenario is this; I double click FSX and get the opening screen and after 3 seconds the opening screen disappears and FSX stops loading. I can double click again and the same thing happens.

Ran a system restore and no help, ran the Flight 1 Reg Tool, no help. Deleted the Config file and when I restarted FSX, I had to go through the permissions menu for all addons, but after that was done,the program shut down again. So what happens after the loader finds the Cfg file and what is it not seeing that makes it shut down after that? Any ideas? Has someone faced this one before? I really do not want to do a repair because last time I did that the program would not even start, it said fatal error and reinstall.   Thanks for reading,  Skip  

What changed right before this started happening? Typically, something has had to have changed in order for you to have the results your getting.

Video card drivers, windows update, new piece of hardware, FSX add-on...

Are you noticing any other games or programs acting weird?

Previous to this, I had the same problem and it ended with a total reinstall

There's a trend here, what did you or windows do prior to FSX crashing? I've had the same FSX installation going for 2+ years on my laptop and 4+ years on my old desktop system.

Good luck.

FSX will not start up without Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 installed.  It is installed when you install FSX though so that should not be the problem but you might want to look in your Add/Remove programs and see if it is installed.  It probably won't be there is you moved FSX from one HDD after installing Windows.  The latest version of MSV 2005 can be found at the following link - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26347.  You need to have the 32 bit version installed as FSX is a 32 bit app.

You also need Microsoft.net 1.1 through the latest version installed.  This is also installed when you install FSX if it is not found on your system (Windows 7 will install the latest but not the old versions needed by FSX).  You can check to see if these are installed by going to Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework (x86)\then the various versions.  Microsoft.net is not backwards compatible.

When FSX does not start, are there any error messages?  Is there anything in the Event Viewer related to the shutdown?  Did you run AppCrashView to see if there are any crashes related to FSX?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

VAE_jonp, I applied the desk top heap fix in another thread for ooms. That was the one thing I did before noticing the problem. And no Jim, there is no message or error in the event viewer or Appcrash. The opening screen comes up and quickly goes right off again. In Appcrash, if I am fast enough, I can watch the FSX.exe start in the app section of Appcrash and then stops loading immediately and the subject line disappears. It is failing to load for some reason that is beyond my skill level. I have the C++ entries as well as the .net framework also.    Skip

You should try this: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Problem_Resolving_(FSX)#FSX_will_not_start

Scroll down to "FSX will not start" title, you have solution and link to utility/fix - it's probably corrupted logbook.

I would also check DLL.XML http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a92/dllxml-information-and-troubleshooting.aspx

In this thread you can find in my post steps for FSX troubleshooting, i would check all that things on your PC: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/410007-another-fatal-crash-topic-sorry/

Can you tell us about your system - CPU, MB, GPU, RAM?

I'm in the process of reinstalling FSX and all my Add-ons and ran in to the exact same issue last night.

When I start FSX I get the splash screen, I then hear the "Ultimate Traffic Initialized" wave-file play, and then the splash screen disapears and I return to the desktop. Nothing the the Event Viewer and no error messages to give any indication of what's going wrong.

It happened after I installed ORBX AU and ORBX YBUD, but the issue remains the same regardeless of the region setting in the ORBX Central so I assume it isn't the scenery but rather something else..

I do seem to recall having the same issue a few years back, and that time it was solved by reinstalling FSUIPC, but last night it was far to late to do any real troubleshooting. But I'm going to check the logbook and DLL.XML parts later on tonight and will report back if I can find a solution.

Does anyone know if the EXE.XML file can suffer from the same issues as the DLL.XML by the way??

EDIT: After a quick search in the ORBX-forum it turns out it might be due to my having SweetFX active while installing the ORBX-scenery.. Fingers crossed for a quick fix tonight...

Back home, and I can now confirm that disabling SweetFX before starting FSX mended my issue. Once it had ran once I could re-enable sweetFX and all is purring along nicely..

Not much help for the OP sadly though...

I found out what was happening to my system. I had installed the Lazy man's Sweet Fx, it is called Flight FX and when you set it up you have to link the program to the executable for the program you want to use it for. So I had setup the program the way I wanted but after that I did not start Flight FX before starting FSX, so FSX would show the splash screen and then shut down without starting. In my haste to get to the bottom of the problem,I uninstalled Flight FX, and one might have thought that the problem would have gone away but FSX still would not start. 

So whom ever wrote the program, did not bring things back to the way it was before the installation of Flight FX with the uninstaller. So I had to reinstall Flight FX and make sure that I had started the program before starting FSX to make the whole thing work. I will admit that I am no software whiz and maybe I missed a step or 2 with the install or uninstall and my apologies to all parties concerned. And it was pure luck that I finally decided to reinstall and then start the program before starting FSX or I would be doing a reinstall of FSX and all of what that entails.  Thanks for all the replies from everyone, this is really a great forum.  Skip