Sign in to follow this  
kenwantz

MAAM B-25j Out of Memory Causes Shutdown

I try flying the FSX "Briefing Time" in Windows 7 and always have the same problem with my computer running out of memory, then FSX abruptly shutting down as a result. Usually it takes 1-2 hours of flying with the airplane before the shutdown occurs. I can't seem to determine what is causing this to happen, but figure it must be a program associated with the B-25j perhaps running in the background. Several minutes before the out of memory msg/shutdown occurs, I hear the Windows "Exclamation" beep sound warning that something eventful is about to take place.This only happens with the B-25j.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this and could offer a fix. I absolutely love the B-25j and would like to actually complete a mission in it. Aprreciate any suggestions.

System specs: i7-950, Windows 7-64 Bits, FSX SP1/SP2, 12GB DDR, Radeon HD 7950,

Hi Ken,

Never heard of that one before!   There are no special programs running to support the B-25, outside of FS itself.  Have you looked at Task Manager while flying to see what process is using up memory?

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi, Bill

Yes, I have looked at Task Manager, but can't tell which process among several that are running might be causing FSX to run out of memory. I'm not particulary adept at that sort of thing.

I haven't had it crash on me during a flight, but it seems every time I end a flight with it, FSX crashes to desktop.

Running FSX + Acceleration on Windows 7 64-bit.  A gazillion add-ons including REX, FScene4, etc. FWIW...

Any further insight into BT crashing FSX... especially when trying to end a flight. I have this problem also. Flight time does not get logged etc. I can almost always fly it for an hour or so with little/no problem.

i'm the same. CTD out of memory after i finish the flight and try to log the hours??

It has been a while since I used the MAAM B-25J, but I do have a fair number of hours with it in both FS9 and FSX.  A few things may be at work here.  First, FSX is really poor at memory management.  FSX is a 32 bit program, so it can only use a maximum of 4 GB of memory (virtual address space or VAS).  Just loading FSX can consume over 1 GB.  Then FSX loads scenery into its VAS,  The more scenery that is loaded and the more detailed that scenery is (Ultimate Terrain, textures, addon airports) the faster the VAS is filled.  So the longer your flight, the more distance you cover, the more filled the VAS becomes.  FSX does not do a good job of freeing up VAS filled with the areas you have flown past and pretty soon you can be at 3.8 GB of filled VAS, then the OOM crash begins. Also, when FSX does try to free up some of its VAS it does not defragment it.  FSX likes to write to its VAS in contiguous blocks, so you might have only 3.5 GB of VAS used, but FSX needs to write 70 MB to VAS, but it is fragmented and the largest available block is only 50 MB, then it will OOM crash.

Keeping the number of addon airports to a minimum helps.  If you can install only your departure and arrival airports you will fill the VAS at a slower rate.  Reducing autogen greatly helps.  A lower LOD radius will help.  Also, it is recommended to minimize flight time.  Flights lasting beyond 1 hour will increase your odds of experiencing an OOM crash.

Also, the logbook that is a part of FS9 and FSX has a long history of causing problems with crashes.  I do not even attempt to use these logs, I log my hours on a spreadsheet.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Great info, thanks Stans,

i use the spread sheet as well.. but i have to get the info from the log, then i delete it...

I do have alot of addons, But this only started happening since i added the B-25, flies well.. but soon as i shut down the flight . ie. when i'm parked after the taxi, then it OOM's... 

So just today again, i used the B-25 and everything is great until i finish the flight , taxi to the gates, park.. exit FSX to splash page.. and when i try to get into log book (to write down my hours then delete it) it gives me the error of out of memory, and i have to restart ....   what i will try tomorrow is to fly it in windowed mode instead of  full screen, and see what happens,  i do have a multimonitor set up, and my specs are 2x680 gtx's, rampage MB, 16 g ram, 1250 watt ps, I7 3930 chipset and a tonne of addons..  and again this only started happening after i installed the b-25... 

You might want to consider writing your flight plan on paper, use a clock or timer to track your flight time and not even bother with the FSX logbook.

I do know that the B-25 tends to use a lot of computer resources.  The MAAM-Sim B-25 started out as a FS2002 model, updated to FS9, then updated again to FSX.  FSX aircraft that started out as FS9 or earlier aircraft tend to use more computer resources than FSX native aircraft.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I definitely think the VAS memory filling up is a culprit. Unchecking scenery that will not be used on your flight especially mse scenery will probably help as it fills up VAS quickly according to other forums and topics on this forum. I now routinely uncheck all add-on scenery and airports that will not be used. Doing so has reduce FE to almost nil, and on some aircraft like my a2a C-182 GREATLY improved frame rates.

I use Logbook Pro for my logging. It is payware but great, versatile, and has lots of bells and whistles including another payware addon that plots flights on a map or google map and keeps track of total miles. Only use the FSX log to get my flight data from.

Good Flying!