Sign in to follow this  
nmaggie

C-47 Paratrooper & Cargo Animations- FSX

I am unable to get the troop ladder, paratrooper, troop seats, or other related animations to work.  The jump doors/cargo doors works OK (opens/closes with assigned door commands).

My "/" key is assigned (spoilers).

My "I" key is assigned (smoke)

My "T" key is assigned (tailhook)

They work on other models.

I'm using the correct versions (e.g. BBMF & "Warton" for paratrooper animations, etc.)

I've read the manuals/docs but I can't find anything that I'm missing?

Anything I should look for in the .cfg or something that might need correction?  (I found the missing altimeters in the other C-47 models & corrected those myself.)

Appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Part 2...

So I ran the 10th edition installer to a temporary folder & here's what I'm seeing:

-Effects files for cargo, paratroopers (UK and US)

-The EFFECTS section of the .cfg files for those versions of the aircraft do NOT reference those effects.  They reference an "oil drip" effect instead that is mapped to the smoke ("I") key.  Editing the .cfg to the correct fx filenames was unsuccessful.

-I can't see what's happening with the spoiler ("/") key and tailhook ("T") keys, but as noted previously the ladder does not extend/retract as "advertised."  It remains permanently fixed in the extended position to the left aft fuselage.

At this point I'm guessing that perhaps the entire "paratrooper/cargo airdrop" upgrade somehow was not included in the 10th edition installer or did not install? (wrong/missing files?)

Can anybody from MAAM please reply?

Thanks.

nmaggie, and all,

I can't see what's happening with the spoiler ("/") key and tailhook ("T") keys, but as noted previously the ladder does not extend/retract as "advertised." It remains permanently fixed in the extended position to the left aft fuselage.

For the record, I am also having this problem with the C-47 boarding ladder in FSX, I am currently attempting to install the various C-47 packs i.e. 'C-47 'ALL THEATERS' EXPANSION PACK WITH VIRTUAL COCKPIT UPGRADE FOR FS2004' and 'D-DAY C-47 'SKYTRAIN' and DAKOTA Mk III EXPANSION PACK FOR FS2002 and FS2004' just to see if the FSX "full" package that I purchased and downloaded really was "full."

Unfortunately these are having trouble installing since I don't have an FS9 copy of the MAAM-SIM DC-3; nevertheless I am attempting a work around and I will let you know how it goes!

Cheers.

Mike 

nmaggie, and all,

For the record, I am also having this problem with the C-47 boarding ladder in FSX, I am currently attempting to install the various C-47 packs i.e. 'C-47 'ALL THEATERS' EXPANSION PACK WITH VIRTUAL COCKPIT UPGRADE FOR FS2004' and 'D-DAY C-47 'SKYTRAIN' and DAKOTA Mk III EXPANSION PACK FOR FS2002 and FS2004' just to see if the FSX "full" package that I purchased and downloaded really was "full."

Unfortunately these are having trouble installing since I don't have an FS9 copy of the MAAM-SIM DC-3; nevertheless I am attempting a work around and I will let you know how it goes!

Cheers.

Hi mikejr:

Did you have any luck fixing the C-47 boarding ladder?  Where did you find the expansion pack files?  I searched MAAM-SIM and AVSIM but I couldn't find them (I just have the "megapack" or whatever they call it that I purchased from the MAAM-SIM store).  I had noticed that the EFFECTS sections of my .cfg were glaringly in error (missing paratrooper and cargo .fx files) so I suspect other files might be in error too (i.e. whatever file controls the ladder animation).

I heard from one of the former MAAM-SIM guys once over the summer but never heard from him again.

Otherwise, I'm going to feel inclined to post a "Buyer Beware" topic for this (air drop effects don't work as advertised with zero product support...)

Hi nmaggie,

My problem has now been resolved, details to follow...

I have to say, with the £20-30 price tag of the MAAM-SIM DC-3 I was a little disappointed it wasn't entirely compatible with FSX, however, because of that price tag, and its potential, I was convinced I was going to get it working properly. :mellow: Having owned MSFS's for over a decade, and often being a damned perfectionist I am fairly used to making tweaks here and there where I feel neccessary and the MAAM-SIM is no exception. 

First off... DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held responsible for any problems that arise through following the procedures below, it was based on a lot of trial and error and may well not have the same effects on your system.

Knowing the FS9 aircraft.cfg files were fully tested and complete, the first thing I did was download the packs above, plus the FS9 OY-BPB and XC-47 addons. They can be found here: http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/r4d_enhance.htm#ALL THEATERS EXPANSION PACK ,  http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/r4d_enhance.htm#D-DAY C-47 SKYTRAIN and DAKOTA Mk III EXPANSION PACK FOR FS2002 and FS2004 ,   http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/r4d_enhance.htm#C-47A OY-BPB FS2004  ,  http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/r4d_enhance.htm#XC-47C AMPHIBIOUS TRANSPORT ADD-ON FOR FS2004  .

I installed them into a fake FS9 folder (copy ALL the existing FSX MAAM-SIM DC-3 folders into a fake FS9 folder - which should include the FS9.exe - following the structure shown in the installer). 

Once I installed all the appropriate packages and had a full collection of FS9 files, I took the FSX aircraft.cfgs and the FS9 equivalent for each model (i.e. in each 'MAAM-SIM...' folder) and simply compared them side by side, using this website: http://www.diffchecker.com/ which does the job well enough. 

The golden nugget for the boarding ladder I believe is the entry: 'spoiler_limit=0.0.' Change the 0.0 to 1.0 (as it is in the FS9 file) and the boarding ladder should be interactive like in the FS9 version. 

There are a whole bunch of other entries (under titles like [EFFECTS], [sMOKESYSTEM], [LIGHTS], [airplane_geometry] etc. that will need changing or indeed adding to get the FSX models working as well as they should. But once they do, it is very satisfying. 

Bear in mind also that some of the effects files themselves work incorrectly because the files were unchanged from FS9 to FSX and the effect coordinate systems between the two versions differ. 

In general, the modifications are minor, and fairly intuitive, though I would recommend the 'reload aircraft' function keyboard shortcut in FSX to be enabled (off by default) which means you can reload the aircraft real time in a flight after making many of the changes above.

In the light of said changes being fairly easy, I am further intrigued to know why MAAM-SIM offered an "FSX" product without spending a little bit of extra time making it as compatible as possible and actually making it worthy of being called an FSX addon...  :huh:

However, it being a donation-ware product with a central aim (though not sure if this is being fulfilled any more) to keep a classic piece of aviation history in the air, I am not too likely to lodge any complaints soon... besides, though I bit off more than I could chew, and it has taken me over a month to get to nearly where I want to be, I have taken some of my modifications further and now have a fully updated and modernised cockpit (as far as the model will allow) for the MAAM-SIM DC-3 that really helps to bring the product up to scratch!  :biggrin:

Hope that helps! Unfortunately it's pretty much a DIY project and since I have spent many, many more hours modifying it than flying it so far, I can see this might put people off and probably does deserve a caution for some sceptical buyers, but let me know if you need any more tips.

Cheers. 

Mike 

Thanks mikejr!  Sorry for the delay, I've been busy & haven't been back to AVSIM for a while.

First, thank you so much for your hard work!  I owe you a beer (Or 2.  Or 3.  Or n...? :-))  Unfortunately I'm still unable to download the FS9 files or I would try to be of more help.  I followed your links to the MAAMSIM site, but unfortunately I still keep getting "404 not found" errors when I try to download.

But yes, your spoiler limits fix certainly did the trick & my boarding ladders now work!  THANK YOU!  I'm happy with just this much in the event that I'm inclined to take screenshots.  When I have some spare time I will tinker some more to get the paratrooper effects to work to some extent.  I tweaked the .cfg for the cargo effects before & it appeared to work.  Once I test it a little more I'll be happy to share it here.

I also agree that though I was quite pleased with MAAMSIM's B-25 FSX conversion, I am only marginally satisfied with the C-47.  Just Flight offers a package which includes both towed and flyable combat gliders.  In fact, the air drop features were a primary draw for the MAAMSIM package, as I certainly did not NEED another C-47/DC-3, but my expectations were based on the B-25 package so I was confident that it would be worth the $30.  I concur that it seems as if somebody said "Oh.  It should work in FSX too," so they just went ahead and inserted FSX into the product description with little or no additional work/testing.  Additionally, I've had a coupke of PM/e-mails with one person who was supposedly part of the MAAMSIM team, and the only help they offered was to go ask the forum & essentially "you're on your own."  (Not a direct quote, but the jist of it).  I sent a couple follow-up e-mails but haven't heard a word from them since.  Understood that they were essentially (or actually) volunteers and that the team has since retired, but I think MAAMSIM owes some better "truth in advertising" for a $30 package & if they're going to continue to sell an unsupported product with known issues in FSX then they should say so up front.  Or quit selling it if they don't want to be bothered with it anymore.  I do enjoy many other aspects of the package, so I'm not ready to rant, but I am still inclined to post a BUYER BEWARE message & reference this thread so that others will know that it is no longer supported, they can make an informed decision to buy or not, & if so they can find your excellent work & helpful hints here if they want it badly enough to be willing to tinker it up to speed.

Thanks again!

Hi nmaggie, no worries.

Sounds good... so long as it's not a watery American beer!  :biggrin:  You can try visiting the appropriate pages on the MAAM website by starting here: http://www.maam.org/maam_sim.html and then going to 'FREE STUFF' at the bottom of the page. I can't see why it shouldn't work, but if not, then refer to my reply in your pm.

With regard to MAAM-SIM customer support, it is a little bit of a shame, yes, since they should take responsibility for products they sell, but then it is 'donation-ware' and helps to keep Aviation heritage alive, without which we wouldn't have FSX (and presumably a passion for aviation in the real world) in the first place. Just a question of priorities really, and as I say, it only takes a little persistence and spending time to get very satisfying results. 

Anyways, I'll keep you posted via pm.

Mike