Sign in to follow this  
bob34

FSX -> Warning before you install Win 8.1 Preview

Never put a beta OS on your main box. I learned this years ago... Create a VM to play with or have a junk machine around to testing things on. Rebuilding everything sucks. It would be funny if FS9 ran without issue.

It would be funny if FS9 ran in W8.1 without issue. Just sayen how life can be funny like that sometimes. Heck, I don't believe FS9 ran in W8 let alone W8.1. Oh, we'll hope this one get's fixed.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Well I just tried it out on a fresh install of Windows 8.1, and no luck here either :unsure: Not sure what the new OS doesn't like, but hopefully it does not extend to the rest of my gaming folder <_<

The new driver for Nvidia 326.01 is now downloadable. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/548843/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-r326-01-whql-windows-8-1-preview-driver-feedback-thread/

""NVIDIA is releasing new WHQL-certified GeForce drivers for Windows 8.1 through our website NVIDIA.com to coincide with the availability of the Windows 8.1 Release Preview from Microsoft earlier this week. You can install the new GeForce driver version 326.01 for Windows 8.1 from Windows Update after you install the Release Preview. If you prefer installing the drivers manually or are not seeing this update appear through Microsoft's Windows Update, we are providing links below for each of the drivers. If you have already installed driver R326.01 driver through Microsoft Windows Update, you do not need to reinstall this driver again."

Direct links:

Geforce Desktop GPUs

Windows 8.1 Preview 32-bit:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-preview-32bit-326.01-whql-driver.html

Windows 8.1 Preview 64-bit:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-preview-64bit-326.01-whql-driver.html

Geforce Notebook GPUs:

Windows 8.1 Preview 32-bit:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-preview-326.01-whql-driver.html

Windows 8.1 Preview 64-bit:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-preview-64bit-326.01-whql-driver.html

New drivers didn't work.

But getting rid of Windows 8.1 worked like a charm. :D

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

It would be funny if FS9 ran in W8.1 without issue. Just sayen how life can be funny like that sometimes. Heck, I don't believe FS9 ran in W8 let alone W8.1. Oh, we'll hope this one get's fixed.

FS9 runs on Win8 very well widouth a single controller disconnects.

FS9 runs on Win8 very well widouth a single controller disconnects.

Well that's awesome to hear (8, 8.1 or both). Is there any trick to it or does install and work without issue? Someone reported problems getting it to display aircraft in the menu section.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Just a plain install like you do on win7 and others, no special tweaking needed. Aircraft preview in selection screen is indeed blank but thats about it and it doesnt really bother me.

Havent tried it on w8.1 but it works well on w8.0.

Had the same issue. Never got around to installing on my win 8 setup and when i finally do had already installed 8.1. Sure glad i dual boot win 7 and still have everything over there!

I'll ask back before updating to 8.1 final. For ex. logout in 8 is a pain in the &amp;@(&#036;*.

That is extremely ironic, considering the whole point of DirectX is to make it so the software doesn't care about the OS or hardware.

Do any DX9 titles run on Win8? They *should* be unaffected. It would seem MS broke more than just the OS. Idiots.

Best regards,

Robin.

• Upvote 1

Windows 8.1 RTM seemes to work with FSX, but Microsoft is holding it back.

I installed Windows 8.1 RTM and all I can say is I am going back to Windows 8.  As soon as I click FLY NOW, FSX will CTD with no explanation and this is on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and FSX with latest drivers.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Alan Clarke

I installed Windows 8.1 RTM and all I can say is I am going back to Windows 8.  As soon as I click FLY NOW, FSX will CTD with no explanation and this is on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and FSX with latest drivers.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes. For me this is the fallout of running with DirectX 9 which, by reports, is no longer compatible with FSX. I am running OK with DirectX 10 (and the DX10 Fixer utility). Some have said the DX9 incompatibility was only a problem with Windows 8.1 Preview, but I can report that it is very much a problem in the RTM bits.

So, does 8.1 work fine with FSX DX10 (other than the joystick issue)?

So, does 8.1 work fine with FSX DX10 (other than the joystick issue)?

It does for me, yes.