Sign in to follow this  
sidh

FSX has no cure..About to give up

Hello everyone,

It has been almost an year I am using FSX with all new setup that I tried... All the money I invested in my card and cpu

My rig is i7 @ 4.2 Ghz , GTX 680 8 GB RAM DDR-III . And What not I have tried to make FSX run smooth(Kostas Tweaks,FSX Guide,DX10 patches) BUT it still suffers at airports like UK2000 EGLL , ORBX YMML . For me FPS is very important in flying and if you go below 25 it will ruin it totally. If I remember FS9 days it was smooth as hell with good visuals except ground texture resolution.

I want to know how you guys still manage to enjoy FSX within major airports (using NGX,REX,Traffic,Complex airport-ORBX YMML,UK2000)?

1y329d.jpg

+1

Having repeated fsx.exe hang ups and no answer to it except a possible reinstall. I feel like packing it in to and going back to car racing.

There should be a cure for this fsx error but I can't find it and becoming more frustrated 99% tweaking this and that and maybe 1% flying - if that.

Why do we have to turn down things when the rigs we have should be capable of handling FSX decently. Bought my rig to turn things up and enjoy the scenery etc and to try and make it run smoother - it seems to me that the more money you spend on FSX the worse it is.

Have spent - like a lot of simmers have- thousands on trying to " make " IT work have nearly reached a crossroad.

Denis B

I fly the sim not the fps counter, thats makes it fun for me.

One of the things you can do to help your fps in those big payware airports is to turn off wideview and edit the cameras.cfg and change the default zoom level to 0.4 as it looks the same as using wideview but with a nice fps boost :)

I dont fly to big airports like EGLL, i try to stick to the regional payware airports as the fps tends to be a lot better

-Paul-

Thanks for reply gandy - we now have another tweak and spend another day " trying" it - instead of flying the sim.

Sorry to be so forlorn but fed up with FSX these days.

Denis B

YMML is especially hard on fps, with any configuration.

UK2000 should run much better.

Another idea is to define profiles for graphics settings, so you can change the profile according to the scenery you're flying in. Profiles can also be changed in flight, so for example, after leaving YMML, you can go back to a higher-quality profile.

Alternatively build a cockpit so you don't have to use the virtual cockpit which sucks up half the fps.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

+1.

Best tweak ever: turn off the FPS counter.

You can have frames at below 25% and still get a smooth experience, particularly if you're limiting FPS (I use the limiter in the nVidia setup tool), but when the FPS counter is on, there seems to be a tendency to obsess over it.

Whats  a  fp  counter :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Don't make FPS your priority. Make it smoothness. 

Yes, "smoothness" is obviously desired as a priority. A stuttering sim is horrible. But once he has that, higher frame rate is next up on the list of priorities. 

10 frames per second is still a pain in the neck, whether it's smooth or not, as you can still make out each and every frame. You can still perceive each frame when panning around the cockpit or in terms of scenery movement. If you are a person with low sensitivity to this fair enough. If you aren't, it's unacceptable.

Personally, I don't go in for ultra detailed payware airports, thus I always have high frame rate. I also have virtually no stutters.

The priority is...

1. High frame rate and no stutters. [smooth]

2. No stutters [smooth] but lower frame rate.

3. Low frame rate and stutters. [Not smooth]

If the OP has 2. He most definitely would benefit from "1", and is right to try to achieve that.

To achieve that '1', compromises and tweaks have to be made. OP says he's followed the tweaks. Can you tell us where your sliders are? 

Also, it may be useful to have different saved configs for different scenarios. You wouldn't need to see leisure boats at EGLL. 

You need to turn off all AI stuff, especially car traffic, and leave Airline AI to some low level, just to see some traffic. This is the real fps killer in FSX, not scenery complexity. In many cases you can get better fps with higher settings. Use Word Not Allowed's guide carefuly, there is a section about this. 

In traffic display, i have only Leisure boats on 15%, all other traffic is off. I fly on VATSIM and there is no fps impact(using networked FSInn). On YMML and EGLL everything is smooth this way, but without too much traffic.

BTW, building a cockpit is a good idea, like OmniAtlas suggested

YMML is a known framekiller, so i wouldn't use that airport as a benchmark. It is a good spot to test tweaks because of that, but you probably will never be satisfied with the eyecandy-FPS balance there. So why bother? There are so many airports. I avoid this one and the Aerosoft Mega Airports.