Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

which Ai Traffic package?

Hello

After flying around the Uk and Europe with the default traffic I have decided that I would like to purchase a traffic add on for added realism, I don't expect to run with the slider set to 100 percent aircraft but would just like to see the right airlines operating at the right airport. I have done some reading online and two are mentioned regularly, these being Ultimate Traffic 2 and My Traffic Pro 5.4b.

I would be very interested to hear people opinions on these 2 packages, in particular to how they compare when it comes to  frame rates and is it possible to watch an AI plane take off from say Gatwick UK and watch it fly all the way to its destination, say New York?

Many thanks

Darran

system specs

E5500 Dual core processor 2.8ghz

ATi Radeon 4870Hd 512mb

Windows Vista 32bit

4gb Ram

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Have bought and used MyTraffic, TrafficX and Ultimate Traffic 2.  The last one, UT2, seems the best for lots of traffic with good FPS and ease of use.

spacer.png

Using the search function once in a while can help.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409236-best-ai-traffic-solution/

I use MyTraffic 5.4 (i think it's currently the 5.4b release, not sure, though), and I like it. While of course the models are not really beautiful it gives me crowded airports and skies, which is all I want. I don't really care if the registration number of every airplane is unique (i think the only addon capable of doing that is Ultimate Traffic 2) and if it the absolutely same type operates on a certain route, as long as the general immersion is there (which certainly is, unless you feel the need for setting your sliders to more than about 40% - some weird flights above that value, in order to get large airports even more crowded), and as longas performance is OK.

Having had a bad experience (erformace-wise) with UT2, I use MTX exclusively on my computer, but be aware that this differs from system to system. As far as I know UT2 is sold by Flight1 via their wrapper system which gives you the oppportunuty to return it within 30 days with no questions asked, so that's a great plus for UT2, and I think that JustFlight's policy is quite similar (not so sure about that, though). Also keep in mind that there's no such thing as an "ultimate Ai traffic solution", you'll get as many opinions as there are users! And I agree with Suanru, there's loads of these topics already - more or less on a weekly basis -, so just go back a few pages or search the forums for "AI traffic". I usually try to provide a few links to recent similar, so I do now:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/410969-traffic-addon/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/394764-ut2-traffic-360-or-mytraffic-2013/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/390566-which-ai-traffic-software/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398880-ultimate-traffic-2-my-traffic-x-trafficx-whats-your-favorite/

I know it may not be an easy choice, but we can only share our own experiences with you - but it is no guaranteed that you will eel tha same way!

Regards,

Flo

One of those traffic topics should be pinned, or at least a list of links to "Which traffic addon to get?" threads. They really seem to pop out as soon as the older one is only on page 11.

I'd recommend to read through all the threads Sunaru provided.

One of those traffic topics should be pinned, or at least a list of links to "Which traffic addon to get?" threads. They really seem to pop out as soon as the older one is only on page 11.

Agree :lol: Sometimes they even pop 2 threads  above the last one on page 1...

I tried to like MytrafficX 5.4 again yesterday but ended up reinstalling UT2.

Some claim they get better performance with MTX but at comparable traffic levels (100% in UT2, 25% with MTX 5.4) UT2 clearly performs better and clearly looks better on my computer. And it's really not that close (3-4 FPS difference).

I wanted to like MTX better because it has military AI and isn't missing repaints (honestly, most are so obscure I'd never notice it though) but I just couldn't do it.

I'll tell the OPer what I always tell people. Go buy UT2 and if you don't like it, then return it. From there go buy MTX as it doesn't have a return policy. You've got nothing to lose.

Thank you for taking time out to offer advice, I did see quite a lot of topics on this but one thing I have not been able to find out is about being able to follow the Ai traffic all the way to its destination. I did read somewhere about traffic in UT2 disappearing when over water and wondered if all traffic software does this?

My youtube channel

Thank you for taking time out to offer advice, I did see quite a lot of topics on this but one thing I have not been able to find out is about being able to follow the Ai traffic all the way to its destination. I did read somewhere about traffic in UT2 disappearing when over water and wondered if all traffic software does this?

Never heard nor experienced such.

If you like following AI, UT2 is good because they all follow real routes/airways. So you'll be passing AI all the way to your destination.

I did read somewhere about traffic in UT2 disappearing when over water and wondered if all traffic software does this?

To my knowledge, its just UT2 that does such a thing.

I currently use UT2, and do quite a lot of overwater operations. I am currently flying ESSA to CYVR I'm over Greenland and don't see a single aircraft. It happens all the time, and is the only thing I don't particularly like about UT2, its not great being the only one in the mid-atlantic where in the RW it is full of aircraft.

Other than that small issue in which I hope they fix some time soon, I would totally recommend UT2.

one thing I have not been able to find out is about being able to follow the Ai traffic all the way to its destination

MTX includes a dll that once installed will show up in the fsx menu (you must have fsx sdk installed). This will allow you to view traffic around you and, I believe, follow selected aircraft to its destination.

Dell S2417DG QHD G-SYNC 165Mhz | Gainward Phoenix GS GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | Intel i7 8086K @ 5.2Ghz | Asus Maximus XI Formula  | Corsair  500D RGB  |  Corsair AX860i | Corsair Dominator Vengeance RGB DDR4 32GB 3200Mhz | Corsair H115i Platinum RGB  | Samsung Evo SSD 2 x 1000GB  | WD Black 2 TB | SoundBlaster Z | Track IR 5 | Harmon Kardon HK695  |

I like the ease of adding new airlines, aircraft types, and routes to UT2 with the free Power Pack. For example, I just added United's 787 routes. The 787 is not in UT2 so I created the aircraft type and routes. United currently flies the 787 from Houston to Denver, Chicago, and LA. Also Denver to Tokyo and Houston to London. I got the real flight numbers and departure and arrival times off flightaware. UT2 generates the flightplans automatically. Import the database into UT2, assign aircraft and repaints, adjust traffic levels, and good to go. When they add more routes next month, I'll add those too. If anyone wants I can upload this file to avsim. I'm working on the other 787 airlines as well.

No manual needed either. It's pretty easy to figure out once you spend some time in UT2 and the Power Pack.

Edited by dcgator29

I did read somewhere about traffic in UT2 disappearing when over water and wondered if all traffic software does this?
Yeah UT2 does that, though then on the other hand as an advantage its makes all the AI aircraft fly more real world like routes with waypoints instead of the direct shortest route from airport A to airport B like other AI programs do...

Anyway the AI traffic that disappears over water reappears when it comes near land again, so you really won't notice the disappearance so much especially if you don't fly much near popular transatlantic routes. 

Actually until recently nobody even noticed missing traffic over large areas of water although UT2 has been out for years, so it's not significant issue for most simmers. 

In the end I could not decide between my traffic 5.4b and Ultimate Traffic 2 so I bought them both, am using UT2 at the moment which looks good, I have noticed that the AI sounds don't seem to change though.

My youtube channel