Sign in to follow this  
Noel

For a new clean install, is it a good idea to install BOTH GEX & UTX?

My prior installation is over 5.5y old now and I'm starting out fresh on a new machine.  I already own both apps, and I've already installed GEX NA, but have held off of UTX for the same region as I"m not sure if it really adds enough to warrant the installation.  Also, not sure if GEX & ORBX US areas again, are best left w/o what UTX adds or takes away.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Install them all.

Thank you Jim I guess I'm asking because it's been awhile since I opened the interface on the old installation.  I think maybe I was supposed to install UTX first, since I see GEX has textures or somethat work well w/ GEX maybe?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Congrats on the new rig. LIke you I my prior install was 5 years old as well and I am going thru the process of setting up my new rig and installing everything. Actually I have just about everything installed, but still need to do the defrag process (went with 2 1TB VelociRaptors over the smaller SSD's since i need lots of space) and then will start the overclock.

If I were you I would go ahead and install UTX and make sure its patched up all the way to the newest version. When I reinstalled it last week I think I was about 3 patches behind. The good thing about installing it is that you can always turn off features you dont need to want or completely disable it if you feel the need. I have not yet installed all the ORBX stuff I had installed on the old rig. Frankly I never flew much in AU or the PNW and that stuff takes a lot of space up. Plus I am using a modified terrain.cfg and LCLookup file on the new rig and think that ORBX modifies that stuff, so I dont want to take a chance messing something up.

Good luck with the new rig. If your like me, going from my old C2D 32bit system to newer tech is a hugh jump.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Rather than GEX consider Orbx global. It does the same things, replaces the awful default landscape textures, It looks amazing and works along with UTX. It should be released this month.

I find that on a re-install it pays to be super selective and not install the things that gave you problems before, like ENB and UTX. Make a cleaner, leaner install that works well with less problems.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Just the right thread.

I'm also building up fsx again and started to wonder if UTX fixes the default desert problem? I have Utx Usa and Europe and it actually looked tolerable in the default areas. I tried Aime Leqrecs ground textures, but I got texture cells that did not fit the scenery so I reversed back to Utx & default textures. Got to try Adam Mill's textures still...if I remember right those I used in my former Fsx installation.

To install or not to install is all up to you. If you like the add-on, install it, if you don't like the addon, don't. Simple as that.

As far as GEX and UTX are concerned: these are totally different addons that complement each other. So if you liked what they offered you in the past, install them again. If you don't like what UTX added, then don't install it. (BTW The fact that you don't know if UTX adds something to GEX or not makes me wonder if you know what you actually bought in the first place...?)

GEX and Orbx scenery is another story. GEX is nowadays mostly used to cover areas Orbx doesn't cover yet. With FTX Global coming up, I think GEX will be a thing of the past soon for a lot of simmers: FTX Global offers the same as GEX but with a much higher quality and it's a LOT cheaper too.

I also always keep my install as clean as possible. I installed FSX a week ago and I only installed the addons I actually use and that actually improve the experience. I didn't install UTX because I am waiting for FTX Global to arrive. After that I will see if the upcoming Orbx LC addon will be any good. Depending on that I may or may not install UTX Europe anyway. But I won't do it now because I can live without it and it only takes up precious SSD space and I don't really like the impact it can have on performance.

I'm reformatting my computer and reinstalling Windows next week. I need to know this as well. What's the order for installations?

There is no specific order in which addons HAVE to be installed in order to work. People usually don't buy add ons in a specific order so it would be VERY odd if they had to be installed in a specific order... ^_^ Having said that: if you do own GEX and UTX already, it's more convenient to first install UTX and then GEX because GEX has some options that make them both work together better. It's not mandatory, because if you buy UTX after buying and installing GEX you STILL will have the option to make the necessary changes, but it simply is more convenient if you already own both. But other then that, you can install every addon in any order, just as you can buy them in any order. ^_^

There is no specific order in which addons HAVE to be installed in order to work. People usually don't buy add ons in a specific order so it would be VERY odd if they had to be installed in a specific order... ^_^ Having said that: if you do own GEX and UTX already, it's more convenient to first install UTX and then GEX because GEX has some options that make them both work together better. It's not mandatory, because if you buy UTX after buying and installing GEX you STILL will have the option to make the necessary changes, but it simply is more convenient if you already own both. But other then that, you can install every addon in any order, just as you can buy them in any order. ^_^

Thanks Jeroen. I'm waiting for my new graphics card to arrive before I reformat. I actually don't think I will install GEX if FTX Global comes out and recieves good reviews... I want my FSX installation/folders to be as clean as possible (no crap left from old add ons).

Oh I see I had it completeley different in my mind. So I have UTX and GEX installed. I am planning to buy FTX Global. Do you think I should uninstall only GEX or also UTX? Will UTX be in conflict with FTX Global or will the work together and will UTX even enchance FTX Global?

Lukas Dalton

Just uninstall GEX, FTX Global is mostly just texture addon with also some landclass improvements (more coming later if I understood right). It doesn't have all the road, coastline etc data that UTX has. 

UTX and FTX Global should work just fine together. 

If FTX Global has as many problems as the other FTX products did on release, it will be  long time before it's primetime ready, CTD's were common, and those were only small areas

Jay

Just uninstall GEX, FTX Global is mostly just texture addon with also some landclass improvements (more coming later if I understood right). It doesn't have all the road, coastline etc data that UTX has. 

UTX and FTX Global should work just fine together. 

Ah, I get it now. Thanks.

If FTX Global has as many problems as the other FTX products did on release, it will be  long time before it's primetime ready, CTD's were common, and those were only small areas

I doubt FTX Global will cause any CTD's as it's mainly a texture replacement program, different from regional FTX products.