•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

FS9 with Windows 8

no floating aircraft

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abeille

abeille

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

My brother , got himself a new computer with Windows 8 ( of course). After FS9 installation, , He no longer gets the floating aircraft at opening.  (default A/C or add-on makes no difference). I have seen something like that with an Add-on AC. Any clues ???  Opa is no longer with us to point out.

Bob

Rlbance@aol.com

PS- After FLY NOW.. everything is oK

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 Dillon

Dillon

Member - 5,000+

• Donor
  • 7,004 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:52 AM

All I can say is good luck with Windows 8...

PREPAR3D v2

#3 abeille

abeille

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks, There were times where many responses will show. I still wait. By going to the UIRES folder and visualize "aircraft_viewer_bkground.bmp" that is missing. The next logic is the fonction of aircraft selection (manufacture/model.variation). How to verify that ? Must be some .DLL doing the job. Why is this failing in Windows 8.?  All we have is a black background where the floating selected plane should be. The next step "fly now" opens normally and aircraft ( default or addon) is in place at airport. The problem must reside with Windows8, as FS9 has worked with other Win OS .

I hope this is is the ONLY problem with FS9 and win 8.

#4 HughesMDflyer4

HughesMDflyer4

Helicopter Forum Moderator

• 1,288 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

It sounds like something is wrong with the installation since you say that the aircraft preview box background is missing.

I had to install FS2004 on Windows 8 a while back to test a friend's program on it, and there were no issues running it. FS2004 even runs on 8.1. Also, I am unsure if it would even start without it installed, (but this is FS2004 we're talking about) but is DirectX 9 installed?

brandon_forum_sig_a2a172_090213.png

Brandon Filer

#5 Dillon

Dillon

Member - 5,000+

• Donor
  • 7,004 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

It sounds like something is wrong with the installation since you say that the aircraft preview box background is missing.

I had to install FS2004 on Windows 8 a while back to test a friend's program on it, and there were no issues running it. FS2004 even runs on 8.1. Also, I am unsure if it would even start without it installed, (but this is FS2004 we're talking about) but is DirectX 9 installed?

Since you've gotten FS9 to work in Windows 8 can you post a 'How To' for everyone using that OS? There's always those little things we take for granted that others might not do that cause them to run into problems.

PREPAR3D v2

#6 ironbird

ironbird

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

what happens if you run it in compatibility mode, lets say for Win XP? 

#7 HughesMDflyer4

HughesMDflyer4

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Since you've gotten FS9 to work in Windows 8 can you post a 'How To' for everyone using that OS? There's always those little things we take for granted that others might not do that cause them to run into problems.

All I did was install something called DirectSound (that name may or may not be entirely accurate) that may want to be installed upon first launch of FS2004. As long as this is installed, it works perfectly fine without anything special.

Brandon Filer

#8 abeille

abeille

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies :   Yes Direct x is installed ( first requirement from original installation). Like I said, FS9 works  past the "fly now". The aircraft selection of an aircraft. does not seem to activate this window, calling the 'aircraft_viewer_bkground" from the UIRES, and of course the chosen aircraft 'floating around'. This does not seem to be a critical impediment. My estimation : While the selection functions is ok, it fails to call ,the video portion. My guess : some .DLL is not responding. The question is :Which one ?.

From Win8, How do you turn On this compatibilty mode to XP?

Bob.*

#9 HughesMDflyer4

HughesMDflyer4

• 1,288 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Click the "Compatibility" tab in the properties window for the FS9.exe file.

Brandon Filer

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!