Sign in to follow this  
abeille

FS9 with Windows 8

My brother , got himself a new computer with Windows 8 ( of course). After FS9 installation, , He no longer gets the floating aircraft at opening.  (default A/C or add-on makes no difference). I have seen something like that with an Add-on AC. Any clues ???  Opa is no longer with us to point out.

Bob

Rlbance@aol.com

PS- After FLY NOW.. everything is oK

All I can say is good luck with Windows 8...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Thanks, There were times where many responses will show. I still wait. By going to the UIRES folder and visualize "aircraft_viewer_bkground.bmp" that is missing. The next logic is the fonction of aircraft selection (manufacture/model.variation). How to verify that ? Must be some .DLL doing the job. Why is this failing in Windows 8.?  All we have is a black background where the floating selected plane should be. The next step "fly now" opens normally and aircraft ( default or addon) is in place at airport. The problem must reside with Windows8, as FS9 has worked with other Win OS .

I hope this is is the ONLY problem with FS9 and win 8.

It sounds like something is wrong with the installation since you say that the aircraft preview box background is missing.

I had to install FS2004 on Windows 8 a while back to test a friend's program on it, and there were no issues running it. FS2004 even runs on 8.1. Also, I am unsure if it would even start without it installed, (but this is FS2004 we're talking about) but is DirectX 9 installed?

Brandon Filer

It sounds like something is wrong with the installation since you say that the aircraft preview box background is missing.

I had to install FS2004 on Windows 8 a while back to test a friend's program on it, and there were no issues running it. FS2004 even runs on 8.1. Also, I am unsure if it would even start without it installed, (but this is FS2004 we're talking about) but is DirectX 9 installed?

Since you've gotten FS9 to work in Windows 8 can you post a 'How To' for everyone using that OS? There's always those little things we take for granted that others might not do that cause them to run into problems.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

what happens if you run it in compatibility mode, lets say for Win XP? 

Since you've gotten FS9 to work in Windows 8 can you post a 'How To' for everyone using that OS? There's always those little things we take for granted that others might not do that cause them to run into problems.

All I did was install something called DirectSound (that name may or may not be entirely accurate) that may want to be installed upon first launch of FS2004. As long as this is installed, it works perfectly fine without anything special.

Brandon Filer

Thanks for all the replies :   Yes Direct x is installed ( first requirement from original installation). Like I said, FS9 works  past the "fly now". The aircraft selection of an aircraft. does not seem to activate this window, calling the 'aircraft_viewer_bkground" from the UIRES, and of course the chosen aircraft 'floating around'. This does not seem to be a critical impediment. My estimation : While the selection functions is ok, it fails to call ,the video portion. My guess : some .DLL is not responding. The question is :Which one ?.

From Win8, How do you turn On this compatibilty mode to XP?

Bob.*