Sign in to follow this  
red259

Searching for weather engine

Wow, nice shoots. What is real and what is from the sim? I find them hard to distinguish...

That's exactly why I use FSGRW too, it is dang good ;)

23.png

Yeah maybe FSGRW does not get the attention it deserves. I've searched avsim but it does not have his own topic. If you look at opus it got lots of atention and was praised in every topic.

Kimo

No one tried out REX+OD with SP2? I made a brief flight yesterday and seems better than before.

I would agree.  I'm using REX Essentials Plus (SP2) and Opus and I've gone back and forth several times using each as my main wx engine, but since SP2 I've been on REX pretty steadily.  Popping and other issues seem to have been significantly reduced, speeds on initial load are now quite short (and updates virtually instant) and the overall impression is good.  One of the key reasons I lean towards REX over Opus is server-based archival weather beyond 24 hours.  For a variety of reasons, its a feature I use quite a bit.

A couple of questions for those of you using FSGRW... Does it offer archival wx?  And do I understand what it's doing correctly - I've gotten the idea that it fills in beyond METARs on the server side as opposed to interpolating overall wx based soley from METARs (and winds aloft data, of course) and then injects that - is that basically correct?  When configured correctly, both REX and Opus do a very good job when compared at airports where there is a local METAR to work from.  It's enroute where some of the popping and blank areas can come into play in each of these.  If FSGRW handles this better then my interest is peaked a bit.  The local wx stuff is interesting, but I don't think it's available in enough areas yet to be super compelling at this stage.

I expect part of the reason for the lack of "buzz" on FSGRW is that many of us are pretty cautious about investing in yet another wx engine having gotten on board with 2 or 3 already.

Scott

I gave the demo of FSGRW another chance today, and I'm sure glad I did.  Made a flight through the Alps using FTX Global. The cloud effects were magnificent and very smooth.  The only transitions I had this time were very subtle--just more and more cloud layers until, after about 1 hour, I landed in a driving rain at Baden. One of the best flights I've had in a long time. I'll definitely be purchasing.

It may not have its own forum because honestly, it is pretty straight foward and does an excellent job, so not sure what there would be to post, or talk about? The reason I like it is because of its simplicity, and I hope they keep it that way! Updates are automatic when you boot the program if you want.

I live in San Diego, and we always in the early evening get a marine layer that moves over Point Loma and FSGRW does a great job depicting this, and this is such a local event that I'm amaze how well it does it B)

Cheers

Martin

I am an opus user and i have been satisfied with it. But, after reading this thread i decided to download the FSGRW demo and flew one flight. I was suprised how the weather was better than opus. Clouds cover and turbulence. I flew into an overcast layer and it turned white like how it would in real world. Everything was great until final approach. I was 1000ft agl when the winds turned 180 degrees and activated alfa floor on the a320. I eventually recovered and landed.

Is this normal? Do i have to register fsuipc for it to function properly?

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

You need to check the Metar, I have experienced layered and changing weather on descent with fsgrw, just like you do in real life. For example, last week here we had the birds in the real world doing 320kts ground speed on descent, struggle to slow down, then turning final speed up by another 20 knots tail wind before getting winds as per atis when 700ft agl.

I tried it with fsgrw and ended up going around as the aircraft got away from me!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, very cool how FSGRW has the ability to give you this kind of realistic effects in FSX and cool also to see all people starting to discover how great this wx engine actually is!

Like someone else said I think this wx engine hasn't got as much attention (maybe until now) that it deserves and if I were the developer behind FSGRW I would feel very proud of what I achieved with this software !!

Richard Åsberg

Guest Mik75

Yeah, very cool how FSGRW has the ability to give you this kind of realistic effects in FSX and cool also to see all people starting to discover how great this wx engine actually is!

Like someone else said I think this wx engine hasn't got as much attention (maybe until now) that it deserves and if I were the developer behind FSGRW I would feel very proud of what I achieved with this software !!

+1

This is a real milestone in FS history. It is simply the best weather engine and the only sad thing about it is, that only relatively few people seem to have realised that so far!

I will try the demo tonight. You can only use the demo a few times before it expires right?

Good excuse to plan a proper flight tonight  :cool:

Kimo

Opus was excellent but after about 50 updates, it's starting to get a in bland for reason. Hard to nail down what it is.

Will definitely give FSGWR a try, never heard of it.

-Iain Watson-

I will try the demo tonight. You can only use the demo a few times before it expires right?

Good excuse to plan a proper flight tonight  :cool:

The evaluation copy will provide you with 8 'evaluation' points.

Every time you download weather and therefore refresh/transfer the weather into your sim, 1 point will be consumed.

I have to been very impressed by FSGRW... It has real potential. Opus and FSGRW are just way superior to the likes of AS2012/ASE these days.

Yes, unfortunately the current demo/trial version of FSGRW doesn't allow you to run FSGRW using it's full potential using the dynamic weather update mode etc and I think that's a shame.

Let's hope the developer will come up with a better way limiting the trial/demo version allowing more people to find out how great this wx is.

Richard Åsberg

Any comments on REX Essential since the SP2 update a few weeks ago?

Supposedly was a big update to the weather engine.

Yes, unfortunately the current demo/trial version of FSGRW doesn't allow you to run FSGRW using it's full potential using the dynamic weather update mode etc and I think that's a shame.

Let's hope the developer will come up with a better way limiting the trial/demo version allowing more people to find out how great this wx is.

I'm sure it's great but I'm having trouble justifying almost $55 US, much more then any other weather program, and all it is the weather engine.

Opus gives you a camera and effects system plus networking ability. REX and AS2012 give you a vast array of textures and flight planning.

FSGRW is probably suffering sales because of perceived lack of value. They need to lower the price or spice up the package.

Interesting thread!  I too use ASE2012 currently but am considering getting FSGW.  As good as ASE2012 now there are still cloud popping which is totally ruin the experience when it does.  Beside FSGW also promises XPX support too.  XPX is where I fly my GA and bush planes these days.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020