Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

206H causing slide show.

Here's the story. Flying online with the nice new 206, after about an hour FSX started to slow down. I put this down to heavy cloud cover and struggled on. Eventually my PC was brought to it's knees! The next evening I tried it again. All was nice and smooth for about an hour, then the slide show started, barely noticeable at first then built up to a complete stop!

I put the 206 away for a few days and flew other planes.

This evening I flew the 206 again (the online flooding was fixed and I thought maybe that was the problem) All was well again(heavy clouds again)for about an hour an the dreaded slow down started again. This time I left the server and changed to a C337. Smoothness reigns once again. I can only conclude the new 206 has a problem. Any clues anyone? It was suggested to me that it could be a memory leak. :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about this. Where were you flying when this happened? Maybe I can try to replicate this. You said this was an online flight? How many others were flying with you and what type of aircraft did they fly? Any other info you can offer about the flight will help. It might take a few days for me to test this but I'll get back to you about it when I do.

cheers,

Scott

Scott

In short, PNW, Opus weather, two other flyers flying different aircraft each time(but single engined GA stuff. BirdDog, Scout, that kinda stuff.) Server showed no excess packets and as I say, trouble starts about an hour-hour and a quarter into the flight.

I nipped it in the bud this evening, I just suffered 10 minutes before changing to a C337.

I'd try to fly it offline for that length of time but boredom sets in! Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I have that problem too, exactly as you said, after 1 hour of flight, FSX gets like "overloaded" and just slow down impressively...but I don't know the cause...I usually don't fly online or stuff like that, I have a very very powerful machine, that shouldn't happen...

Another problem I noticed, is that those times that FSX get that slow, if you press the "Q" key (mute sound), FPS go up again!, and now it's fast! :O so, I guess there's something wrong with the sounds, I had this problem too with other Carenado aircrafts...but just some of them (just from Carenado), my other aircrafts doesn't have that problem...

I hope they can see this, to see what's happening...

Q key eh? Good clue. Another thing that may be relevant is that I'm in the process of doing a paint for this plane and after two or three reloads to check work, I get an OOM. I saw that the textures for the 206 are 24bit, unlike every other Carenado, so I changed them to 32bit and the OOMs stopped!

Yeah! Q key!, I discovered that issue, some time ago...my phone was ringing and I was flying, so I muted the sound to answer the call and voila! fps boost! ha!, but is not fun to have even more than 40 fps and not hear anything... :( I hope this problem can be fixed sometime...

Really?, wow, that's another clue!! texture bits!

The texture thing might be a false trail. Whilst painting this thing the next aircraft in the selection screen is the BirdDog. When I select that, in order to get a reload, then FSX freezes! When I choose say, the C337, no worries at all! On reflection, there was a BirdDog online with me on the occasions I froze. :unsure:  Make of that what you will.

Nothing to do with BirdDogs, texture sizes or anything other than, I think, a memory leak. Faulty aircraft. Does ANYONE fly this 206H for more than an hour? Does anyone fly this plane at all?

:huh:

Don't feel so bad as I got the 206 yesterday and with the new glass cockpit as well.

I'm have the same problems as yourself starting out at about 25FPS then down 1.5. My flying was done offline with Opus, track IR, Saitek panels SPAD drivers. This is the only plane im having the problems with as well. 

Darryl

Nothing to do with BirdDogs, texture sizes or anything other than, I think, a memory leak. Faulty aircraft. Does ANYONE fly this 206H for more than an hour? Does anyone fly this plane at all?

:huh:

Hi Ron,

For the heck of it, I took it for a flight out of Sitka, with Orbx SAK scenery and headed south towards Vancouver at 8,000 feet.

Flew for well over an hour - fps solid at 30..

Faulty aircraft - maybe not.. :unsure:

Bert

Of the 13hrs so far, 7 of the flights are over 1hr (most 1.1 to 1.8) with only one fps "bleed" on the 5th flight.

Longer flights after that one flight made me think that the anomaly might have been an odd convergence of memory refreshes of weather (ASE 2012), AI traffic area changes (UT2 + misc. traffic files), combined with a taxed graphics card (GTX260), and who knows what else might have been going on behind the scenes. I don't run much else for add-ons.

Ron, hope you can discover your problem. I'd be looking at your combination of add-ons though for conflicts.

Larry

Ron I don't know if this is a fix but I seen a sound file was missing xrpm3. I was having a lot of problems with my CT206H just the same as you have been and I looked at the sound folder from my old 206 and the new one and seen the missing file. I just copied that in to the CT206H and every flight I done that was over 1 hour each was ok. No drops in FPS and I done about 3 flights using steam and glass cockpit. You can just make a copy of a sound file and rename it to see if its going to fix your problem for now. I was flying over orbx aust 135kis @3000 trying to load up my system as much as I could.

Give it a try and see if it will work as a temp fix.

It is always interesting to see what fixes appear to work..

If you open the Sound.cfg file, you will see that there is no reference to xrpm3...

so it is hardly "missing"... just "untidy" programming ^_^

But adding an xrpm3 file will not hurt anything either.. so try it, by all means :P

Bert

I've stopped worrying about it for the moment. I'm in the throes of doing a paint for it. It's one fiddly lil bugger! Sound file eh? Well, you just never can tell, it's FSX after all! :lol: