Sign in to follow this  
sjed

Orbx FTX Global Not DX10 compatible

Just a heads up for those DX10 users that want to get the new Orbx FTX global textures that just came out. It was reported earlier that it was DX10 compatible but that does not appear to be the case for using the complete FTX Global (textures and new night lighting. People who have DX10 and purchased found that they get black dots during daylight in the squares where the night lighting is supposed to be. Buyer beware.  You've been warned.

SJED

That explains it... : ( I was wondering what that was.

hope there will be a fix from Orbx since it was advertised as dx10 compatible. I'm going to head over to their forums to see what's up.

Alex M.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

The exact cause is a bug in FTX Global in how it handles the alpha channel (transparency) in DX10. What happens is that the background of the 3D lighting is black instead of transparent.

It shouldn't be too hard to patch. It probably didn't show up in testing, because of the variety of GPUs and video driver versions. Then add to that most FSX users don't use the DX10 preview mode. And P3d doesn't have that option at all, because LM was just too concerned with the the unfinished state which the DX10 preview mode was left when MS bailed on FSX.

Won't even consider buying until they fix this.  And I'm not so sure that it's an insignificant number who are using DX10.  Almost every simmer that I've had a conversation with and who I consider serious about the hobby has at least tried DX10.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I've tried the FSX DX10 mode and with the various "fixes". There are just too many conflicts with add-ons. Besides, I lose fps and the image quality gain seems miniscule. But that's just me. I'll wait until P3d has DX11 and hope for the best. My experience with FSX is that one is generally better off not tweaking it too much. Most of the online tweaks don't do anything positive except generate a placebo effect and those modifications that are helpful often create additional drawbacks.

My understanding is that Orbx has said that they hope to have the DX10/FTX Global issued fixed for the first service pack, whenever that will be.

SJED

Won't even consider buying until they fix this.  And I'm not so sure that it's an insignificant number who are using DX10.  Almost every simmer that I've had a conversation with and who I consider serious about the hobby has at least tried DX10.

+1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I was on the ORBX forum, and the same question was asked a while back (February) if DX10 will be compatible with FTX Global.

The CEO responded with the following response.

"Yes it will, as long as you apply some of the recent DX10 fixes discovered on various forums. It will present exactly the same DX10 compatibility as default FSX does."

I don't fly in the DX10 mode so I really can't say what happens, however, it looks fantastic in FSX as I'm using it now. Recommend going to the ORBX forum and read up the compatibilities to make sure you would be satisfied with the product. I am very satisfied. Of course, I'm just one out of a bazillion simmers..ha. What ever a bazillion is.

Happy Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

The FTX Global 3D lights do not use the .fx light like usual (because of fps hit) but instead use texture map to create the light. It is the DX10 bugs that do not show the alpha channel correctly. Let see if ORBX can fix it in future update or else wait Steve upcoming DX10 fixer.

There is a temporary fix (from a user) for the DX10 issue with FTXG posted in their forums.  It's a very hot topic and I think that they will try to fix it it if they can.  I bought it assuming it was DX10 compatible and had black boxes everywhere.  I applied the temporary fix and everything seems OK for now.  I would, however, have held off on the purchase if I knew this would happen.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Dylan, are you able to give us a general idea of these temporary fixes so we don't have to go thru the trouble of signing up over at Orbx? Does it involve turning off DX10 or UTX to get them to work?

SJED