Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

777 first beta impressions

Guys,

Here is the TAC in action. I deliberately failed the right engine at V1 and continued in to the air

Please note I am applying absolutely zero rudder pressure and the autopilot is NOT engaged. However, I am still happily following the flight director, letting all the fancy fly by wire stuff and the TAC automatically trim out the yaw. It works so well, if you are not looking at the instruments, you would hardly notice you had just lost that huge engine! You can just continue to fly like nothing had happened, although I do recommend returning to base :)

The moral of the story is that the TAC virtually makes the engine failure invisible to the pilot, no stomping on the rudder to correct on the runway or in the air, its all done for you!

v1cut2_zpseb817f76.jpg

- Jane Whittaker

Guys,

Here is the TAC in action. I deliberately failed the right engine at V1 and continued in to the air

Please note I am applying absolutely zero rudder pressure and the autopilot is NOT engaged. However, I am still happily following the flight director, letting all the fancy fly by wire stuff and the TAC automatically trim out the yaw. It works so well, if you are not looking at the instruments, you would hardly notice you had just lost that huge engine! You can just continue to fly like nothing had happened, although I do recommend returning to base :)

The moral of the story is that the TAC virtually makes the engine failure invisible to the pilot, no stomping on the rudder to correct on the runway or in the air, its all done for you!

v1cut2_zpseb817f76.jpg

TAC is impressive. One thing I've wondered about though - if you get an engine failure prior to V1 do you not notice any deviation from the runway centreline at all? I'd have thought TAC isn't so quick it literally instantaneously compensates.

Guys,

Another really impressive feature on the T7. This aircraft is one smart bird...

TAC is impressive. One thing I've wondered about though - if you get an engine failure prior to V1 do you not notice any deviation from the runway centreline at all? I'd have thought TAC isn't so quick it literally instantaneously compensates.

From what I understand, TAC doesn't completely negate any yawing moment in order to give the pilot flying a "stick-and-rudder" feel for which engine has failed. 

This is going to spoil some many of us!

Alexis Mefano

Guys,

Thanks a lot for this one as well, Jane.

The last time i saw this impressive feature was during a demonstration in a Level-D simulator.

(I'm still hoping the PMDG release will be a bit more ... inexpensive ...)   B) 

Thrust Asymmetry Compensation

#google  :wink:

Man, I woulda killed somebody for that on my multi ride two weeks ago. The things you don't even know you're missing when you fly a Piper Seminole....

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

As a relative newcomer to tubeliners (despite several decades of simming), I'd initially decided to give the 777 a pass.  Too much complexity to manage, and not enough time in the day for long-haul flying.  But thanks to this thread, I'm beginning to reconsider.  Clearly the intelligent time compression feature is going to help me with long-haul.  More to the point - I get the impression that the degree of automation in the 777 might make it much easier to manage than other available heavy iron, and that it might actually make it a pretty good introductory choice for someone coming relatively new to modern airliners.  Can someone among the beta testers confirm or deny?

From what I understand, TAC doesn't completely negate any yawing moment in order to give the pilot flying a "stick-and-rudder" feel for which engine has failed.

Correct, it only provides partial compensation, you still need to add rudder yourself to keep it straight. I am wondering if they have managed to get around the FSX asymmetric bug, if you fail an engine on the 737NGX it also behaves as if it has TAC installed.

Would be good to hear from a tester that has disabled TAC and seen a realistic yaw after a V1 cut. For the life of me can't understand why some basic features available in FS9 where not carried over to FSX, rain effects in VC being another one.

Rob Prest

if you fail an engine on the 737NGX it also behaves as if it has TAC installed.

That's odd Rob, the last time I had an engine failure on the takeoff roll (Pre V1) My NGX's nose was in the terminal passing TSA

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Correct, it only provides partial compensation, you still need to add rudder yourself to keep it straight. I am wondering if they have managed to get around the FSX asymmetric bug, if you fail an engine on the 737NGX it also behaves as if it has TAC installed.

Would be good to hear from a tester that has disabled TAC and seen a realistic yaw after a V1 cut. For the life of me can't understand why some basic features available in FS9 where not carried over to FSX, rain effects in VC being another one.

I thought it was just me or my system, or FSUIPC, but now it seems it is normal that FSX engine failures are unrealistic!

I have not tried on the 737 NGX yet, but on most other aircraft the rudder input required to compensate for an engine failure is not realistic (I hardly need any rudder).

Anyway, I hope TAC Off is simulayed reaslistically on the 777!

Meaning that TAC assists, but does not supply ALL the rudder required to center the slip indicator.

This helps the pilot ability to identify the inop engine (death foot = death engine).

Rob Robson

That wasn't the case with me when I simulated an engine failure in the air. The NGX yaws a considerable amount and, cannot be easily flown manually without some rudder trimming. On the ground it was even worse.

Not to be smart, but you do know that the pilot doesn't go in the back of the plane and say "hey, I need you - yeah, you in 4A - back in 18B" in aircraft of this size, right?  A SAAB or a Dash, maybe.

Cargo, sure, but again, the pilot really only says "hey, I need 1000 pounds moved from bin 2 to bin 1."

...both of which are accurate in the current system.

No, you're right, but somebody does, and in flight simulation, we have to act as the dispatcher and load manager, as well as the pilot and FO (unless you have FS2Crew available).  That is unless the aircraft config manager automatically loads the aircraft with the correct CG.

This was brought up in a topic over on the NGX forum, I decided to test it myself on departure out of VHHH, I failed the #2 engine whilst the left engine was at TOGA, the yaw was minimal, most claimed this a bug with all FSX aircraft.

I should add, I have FSX installed and built only for preparation for the 777, for the past couple of years I have only flown it to test scenerys & and get it correctly tweaked. It may well be a case that I have some sort of auto rudder setting engaged? pretty much thought I knew FSX inside & out but I am happy to be corrected.

I found the topic - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/405403-engine-out-and-yaw-bank-effects/?hl=%2Btac#entry2650869

Cheers

Rob Prest

Guys,

Please note I am applying absolutely zero rudder pressure and the autopilot is NOT engaged. However, I am still happily following the flight director, letting all the fancy fly by wire stuff and the TAC automatically trim out the yaw. It works so well, if you are not looking at the instruments, you would hardly notice you had just lost that huge engine! You can just continue to fly like nothing had happened, although I do recommend returning to base]

Do you need to turn TAC on (via overhead, CDU,...) or is it automatically activated with FBW? Are most features of the 777 automatically enabled? Regardless, thank you so much for your frequent updates - they're really giving us a glimpse into just how great this A/C will be!