Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

777 first beta impressions

TAC can be disabled via a button on the overhead, It should just be left on.

Rob Prest

How about the virtual copilot callouts.  Are there more?

Ed, I haven't forgotten this, I just need to find some time between flight cycles to grab the pages to screenshots for you

As a relative newcomer to tubeliners (despite several decades of simming), I'd initially decided to give the 777 a pass.  Too much complexity to manage, and not enough time in the day for long-haul flying.  But thanks to this thread, I'm beginning to reconsider.  Clearly the intelligent time compression feature is going to help me with long-haul.  More to the point - I get the impression that the degree of automation in the 777 might make it much easier to manage than other available heavy iron, and that it might actually make it a pretty good introductory choice for someone coming relatively new to modern airliners.  Can someone among the beta testers confirm or deny?

Alan, I think that is a really good point. It is that paradox again of complexity making things simple. I won't be glib and say you can fly without some study as that is not true (especially with programming the FMC) but your workload will certainly be less than many other airliners.

This was brought up in a topic over on the NGX forum, I decided to test it myself on departure out of VHHH, I failed the #2 engine whilst the left engine was at TOGA, the yaw was minimal, most claimed this a bug with all FSX aircraft.

I should add, I have FSX installed and built only for preparation for the 777, for the past couple of years I have only flown it to test scenerys & and get it correctly tweaked. It may well be a case that I have some sort of auto rudder setting engaged? pretty much thought I knew FSX inside & out but I am happy to be corrected.

I found the topic - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/405403-engine-out-and-yaw-bank-effects/?hl=%2Btac#entry2650869

Cheers

I can tell you that engine out both in the air and on the ground offers the precise performance of the real aircraft. The guys spent a long time with engineers getting this perfect.

- Jane Whittaker

From what I understand, TAC doesn't completely negate any yawing moment in order to give the pilot flying a "stick-and-rudder" feel for which engine has failed.

I thought so too. Remember a story from one of my ATPL theory teachers that this feature was already on the A310 (we used to have one at school). At first this system completely took away all the rudder input needed to compensate but as this resulted in situations where pilots didn't even realised they had an engine failure. Therefore they changed it so that it doesn't compensate all of the yawing motion, pretty neat!

Incredible that one engine can generate so much thrust.

spacer.png

Hey Jane, is there any damage modelling?

Example:  an engine coming off or visible fire damage?

spacer.png

Hi,

Can you tell me if the flight control animations are smooth? I know some people like me experience "choppy" animations on the NGX.

Thanks.

On  the order of Frames  per second, how does she compare to the NGX?

Answered previously, consensus from beta testers seems tobe as good or better than the NGX.

spacer.png

Correct, it only provides partial compensation, you still need to add rudder yourself to keep it straight. I am wondering if they have managed to get around the FSX asymmetric bug, if you fail an engine on the 737NGX it also behaves as if it has TAC installed.

Would be good to hear from a tester that has disabled TAC and seen a realistic yaw after a V1 cut. For the life of me can't understand why some basic features available in FS9 where not carried over to FSX, rain effects in VC being another one.

Not sure, but in order to get all that ( http://www.flight.org/blog/2011/05/10/thrust-asymmetry-compensation/ ) into the T7 and to have it all show up correctly in FSX, you probably have to build a new FSX first?!?   :(

The way TAC works is it activates at a certain speed, probably near or at V1 I'm not sure, if you have an engine failure at or after the TAC Activation speed during takeoff then it applies rudder to eliminate MOST of the yawing leaving a little bit of yawing for the pilot to recognize there's an engine out, if the engine failure occurs at or after LIFTOFF, the TAC eliminate ALL yaw.

Not sure, but in order to get all that ( http://www.flight.org/blog/2011/05/10/thrust-asymmetry-compensation/ ) into the T7 and to have it all show up correctly in FSX, you probably have to build a new FSX first?!? :(

Sorry mate I don't quite understand your post? No reason why PMDG couldn't accurately simulate TAC

@Bryan, do you have a FCOM ref regarding TAC after lift off? I will have a read now but if you could point me to the exact page it would be great.

Cheers

Rob Prest