Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Altn Destination Feature

This is a great feature. I have always entered airports in the fix page just to get a visual of important airports. As I type this I am doing a flight KDFW-KLAX and I have KLAS, KABQ, KPHX all entered in, so this feature will really get me going. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hey Luke, can you please do me a favor? How does the split autothrottle switch work? Does a right click move each individually and a left click move them together? Can you take a screenshot with one disengaged and show the PFD? thanks!

The A/T Arm switches are never moved out of the up/on position in normal operation, even at shutdown. The tech team pilots actually asked us to default them to on because of this - unless you're doing failure stuff you'll never touch them. For that reason, they're single click operation on each one - the most common scenario you'd touch one for is an engine failure probably.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The A/T Arm switches are never moved out of the up/on position in normal operation, even at shutdown. The tech team pilots actually asked us to default them to on because of this - unless you're doing failure stuff you'll never touch them. For that reason, they're single click operation on each one - the most common scenario you'd touch one for is an engine failure probably.

So is there a click spot to engage toga like on the 737 or is this a whole different ballgame?

So is there a click spot to engage toga like on the 737 or is this a whole different ballgame?

Its still there Alex, using the PMDG trademark technique of the bottom left screw on the MCP :) You can right click that same spot for dis-engaging the autopilot or click with the mouse centre button to disengage the A/T

- Jane Whittaker

I'm a controller at vZKC. If you want to divert to MCI, I can get online. And no need to thank me....it's my pleasure.

If you want the traffic, I can take it on an IAD-MCI route (that I'll be flying RW in a few weeks, though in a Reset Jet).  I'll write it off as freight hauling for whatever reason.

Kyle Rodgers

Me being a bit of a techy, this feature really excites me for various ungodly reasons  :rolleyes:

If you go to the Atln page, you'll see the FMC automatically picks Alternate airports - these are also viewable on the ND with AIRPORTS selected and have an 'A' around the airport donut. However, you can add your own alternates and get very precise fuel and time calculations. But that isn't what gets me ticking - it's the fact if you're heading within a 180 (thereabouts) degree radius of x-airport, they'll appear with arrows to airport with the ICAO and Nautical Miles. 

attachicon.gifPMDG_777_Beta_Altn_Demo.png

:wub:

I find it can be really useful to put your ND in to full compass rose mode on ETOPS flights when checking alternates, then you get an arrow for the alternate in front of you and an arrow and distance for the airport behind you. This way you can always monitor when you are beyond the halfway point between both alternates should you need to divert. In the normal NAV arc mode, it lists alternates ahead of the aircraft as demonstrated so well here by Luke, in full compass rose mode you get forward and back.

- Jane Whittaker

Great shots and info from the Beta testers....Thanks guys!

Chris Howard

I find it can be really useful to put your ND in to full compass rose mode on ETOPS flights when checking alternates, then you get an arrow for the alternate in front of you and an arrow and distance for the airport behind you. This way you can always monitor when you are beyond the halfway point between both alternates should you need to divert. In the normal NAV arc mode, it lists alternates ahead of the aircraft as demonstrated so well here by Luke, in full compass rose mode you get forward and back.

You know what? I was laying in bed and the thought of viewing it via the compass rose must allow you to see destinations 360 degrees around! Thanks for adding that (-:

May I ask a stupid question?

I had seen a couple shots now of the "green dotted arc" on the displays, and I would like to know what that is. Thanks! Figure you are the person to ask.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

May I ask a stupid question?I had seen a couple shots now of the "green dotted arc" on the displays, and I would like to know what that is. Thanks! Figure you are the person to ask. Sent from my Apple communications device.

435nm rings I use replicates an hours flying time to an airport (generally- things can change it to not add up to an hour). To get the airports - I normally look at my route map and see what cities are around 500-800 split up on or near my route. I'll then gather all the ICAO's for each suitable airport I find and enter them in the FIX page as I go along. Just for situational awareness and knowing where my best alternates are.

These are mainly used in ETOPS operations to know when you're not ETOPS and when you are. (Example) For a mid NAT crossing I'd normally use CYYT/EINN - once I'm out of the CYYT 435nm I'm ETOPS - until my ETP I'm going back there if I get any problems. However past ETP I'm going to EINN and once I'm in the 435nm range arc of EINN I call ETOPS over. If the tracks are more North I'll use a third altn being BIKF - if south then somewhere in Santa Maria.

You know what? I was laying in bed and the thought of viewing it via the compass rose must allow you to see destinations 360 degrees around! Thanks for adding that (-:

You know what? When your laying in bed thinking of aircraft.......says to me your Air plane mad :lol:

Good on you Luke and congrats on getting on the Beta mate, if anyone deserves it, you do pal!

Chris Howard

great thanks :)

I suck... Completely forgot your screenshots of the PFD today- sorry! Shall put one out in the next couple days at least..

You know what? When your laying in bed thinking of aircraft.......says to me your Air plane mad :lol:

Good on you Luke and congrats on getting on the Beta mate, if anyone deserves it, you do pal!

Haha yeah that's definitely me. After every flight both in FSX and real world I always judge my overall performance and see what I could have done better etc.

Thank you bud!

I suck... Completely forgot your screenshots of the PFD today- sorry! Shall put one out in the next couple days at least..

Haha yeah that's definitely me. After every flight both in FSX and real world I always judge my overall performance and see what I could have done better etc.

Thank you bud!

I envy the fact you get to lie in bed thinking about aircraft :lol:

I do the same but with mathematical functions/theorems/proofs - it isn't as entertaining.