Sign in to follow this  
SAS443

777 EFIS question (Picture inside)

Hi.

Couple of years ago I watched a pilos eye DVD...it was DVD back then :wacko:.

This featured the Austrian 777 from Vienna to Tokyo. During approach into Narita Intl. the following was shown:

Now these look like FIX rings, but they are white and cyan, not green.

Also if I recalled correctly they seemed to be dynamic in size, like if their size was a dependant on airspeed/altitude maybe?...just guessing.

I had his screenshot laying around for more than 4 years, so hopefully some 777 nut (there are quite a few of you here!) will know what this is.

Best regards

Nick F

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

According to the manual they are called Energy Management Circles 

Indicates clean (Blue and

speedbrake (White) energy
management circles as
defined on the CDU
OFFPATH DES page.

Sort of like what the MD11 has

Hi Nick,

they are called energy management circles and indicate the point at which you are able to meet a altitude constraint in clean or drag (speedbrake) configuration.

Cheers Berni

Aah...totally makes sense now.

Thanks for the replies, both of you.

By the way, anyone from PMDG care to chime in if this is modelled in the 777X?
Just curious. :)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Well, I have just been told that that feature is greyed out on the CDU and, to be sincere, this disappoints me quite a lot, the Energy Management circles are a feature of the 747-400 and 777 and can't be missing in a complete simulation. 

James Goggi

... And I have just read that the "other" 777 simulator has this feature...

James Goggi

The other 777 has a WX radar too.... Don't take their "features" too seriously.

Well, I have just been told that that feature is greyed out on the CDU and, to be sincere, this disappoints me quite a lot, the Energy Management circles are a feature of the 747-400 and 777 and can't be missing in a complete simulation. 

Who told you this?

Someone asked about offpath descents, yes it is fully functional.

Okay- someone was absolutely complaining about this not being in the 777.... Please note, yes, we're giving screenshots - but time is not on all of our sides and keeping up with the forum is becoming harder and harder. Just be patient and we'll try answer you - not going to give out false information because it's NEEDED ASAP. 

time is not on all of our sides

Are you saying you are pressed to finish up to meet a release date? hahahahahahahahaaaaaa  :ph34r:

Keep up the good work man.  I honestly don't have energy to nitpick over features.  It's PMDG.  You will get features, and there is always time for a service pack.  

Are you saying you are pressed to finish up to meet a release date? hahahahahahahahaaaaaa  :ph34r:

Keep up the good work man.  I honestly don't have energy to nitpick over features.  It's PMDG.  You will get features, and there is always time for a service pack.

Thanks. No- what I mean by that, is a lot of the guys have jobs/family to attend to at the same time of this process.

Thanks. No- what I mean by that, is a lot of the guys have jobs/family to attend to at the same time of this process.

I totally get it.  I was making a joke.  It wasn't funny.  Now I will crawl back in to my hole from which I came.  

Okay- someone was absolutely complaining about this not being in the 777.... ]

I'm curious, what is the purpose of this feature?

Alaister Kay

If you're off the VNAV-calculated decent path (e.g. due to ATC commands), it will show how many NMs until you are able to meet a speed or altitude constraint. Blue is the clean-speed and white is using speedbrakes.

That should be correct but it's 0230 and I'm a little zoned :P  Sorry if it's wrong

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

To inform pilot how to descend efficiently using aircraft potential energy and meet all the altitude constraints. Used for offpath descend when VNAV can't help you.