Sign in to follow this  
Guest ecg

More attacks against OrbX by NickN over at Flight1

I am not sufficiently knowledgeable enough about the inner workings to dispute what he is saying - but lets assume for a moment what he is saying is correct - how would you then see it?

If what he says is rubbish then yes, it is an attack, but if what he says has some merit then I will would want to see a response from Orbx on this subject.

well I found "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup" which has lclookup and I also ran a search of my Orbx folder and found no less than 6 terrain.cfg files that looked like various backups...

maybe Nick cant find his way around  :rolleyes:

Oh wow.

I used to have so much respect for Nick... when I built my FSX machine I made extensive use of his guides and used GEX for areas outside of the ORBX regions I had.  Sadly, he doesn't seem to be taking having a competing product on the market very well at all.  His last few posts - his "Bible" and these anti-FTXG posts, as well as his past comments on P3D border on some sort of religious fervour that I find extremely unappealing, and detract from all the really good work he did in the past.  I really hope he comes to his senses soon, before he alienates the community further  :(

Well playing devils advocate is it true what he says about FTX global overwriting core FSX files without making a proper backup of the said files?

So when you restore the original files you end up with corrupt or "unofficial" files.

I do agree that calling FTXG "malware" is going a bit far and I think ORBX should have thought more clearly (if the above is true) about the uninstall issues that could occur.

I always keep a backup of a clean FSX install if needed to restore back to original so I might start over if needed.

Sean Green

In a nut shell a new GEX product is or was going to be made so I guess you can see why He has taken a defensive posture.

Rich Sennett

Guest ecg

I am not sufficiently knowledgeable enough about the inner workings to dispute what he is saying - but lets assume for a moment what he is saying is correct - how would you then see it?

If what he says is rubbish then yes, it is an attack, but if what he says has some merit then I will would want to see a response from Orbx on this subject.

Some of what he says might be true. OrbX has posted on their site exactly what they do and why they do it.

But he is making some serious accusations in his post.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

People change. When I married my wife the way I saw her then to the way I see her now is poles apart

Guest ecg

In a nut shell a new GEX product is or was going to be made so I guess you can see why He has taken a defensive posture.

Defensive - no he is on the Offensive with both barrels blasting away. I am not a legal expert, but some of his statements seem libelous.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

'Offensive" 

Yah I guess that's a true statement 

Rich Sennett

I found his post informative. Its valuable to know whats happening. I am not sure if Orbx did this intentionally or were not fully competent enough to do a clean uninstall.

You cannot hijack FSX without the consent of the users.. not acceptable. 

But a clean uninstall is mandatory and not an option.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Two sides to every story, and Obrx is no saint when it comes to the way the software is setup its known fact. 

Hahahaha, I had a good old laugh reading that. So, in writing all that tripe all he has essentially said is if you want to restore back to how FSX was before you installed FTX Global, you need to have backed the files up and he's also quite blatantly being melodramatic about the lack of uninstaller (although, I do think FTX Global is not finished unless it comes with an uninstaller and I think it's pretty silly it has been released without one).

I particularly enjoyed the fact he points out the guide isn't just for GEX users, he wants everyone to uninstall it, not just his customers :lol:

Also enjoyed the use of "clandestine" and "malware", as if Orbx is on some secret mission to takeover their customers' computers (no Nick, they're just after your customers dear)