Sign in to follow this  

NickN seems to be totally mistaken... ;)

Just thought you all might like to know that everything NickN is saying in his now famous post about how Orbx ruins your FSX install because Orbx edits and alters files and doesn't back them up... is wrong. Or 'false', to use his own words.

Correct: the backup option you get when you install FTXG only makes a backup of the texture folder. But... I just found out that Orbx has had the habit of backing up all core files with every FTX install for years already.

Let's the take terrain.cfg NickN is going on about, which has been lost forever without a possibility to restore it. Well, go to your FSX folder and then to ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/InstallBackup and what do you see...? A backup of your terrain.cfg. Together will all kinds of other core files. Amongst others.

Now tell me WHO is mistaken here... I think NickN made a big fool of himself now.

Conclusion: don't wait for NickN's guide on how to restore everything (including a terrain.cfg without your manual edits) but simply wait for Orbx's uninstaller who will do the job perfectly fine.

Let's the take terrain.cfg NickN is going on about, which has been lost forever without a possibility to restore it. Well, go to your FSX folder and then to ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/InstallBackup and what do you see...? A backup of your terrain.cfg. Together will all kinds of other core files. Amongst others

Does Orbx document that?

Does Orbx document that?

The FTXG manual only mentions that at a certain moment "FTX Central runs its initial file management routines". Other than that I can't find any information about it. Maybe they should have added this to prevent confusion and fear... ^_^ but anyway, it is clear that Orbx does not just simply make a mesh of FSX as NickN said.

Jeroen 

Is it necessary to carry on this subject?

Mo45

Addon Wars...could be a reality show.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Jeroen 

egcc

Well, yes, it is, to make sure no one gets fooled by NickN. ^_^ And because I am having a ball here. B)  But seriously, it would be a bit odd to let NickN rave on and scare people when there is no reason for it.

Jeroen 

Probably not, but I think Jeroen has been perfectly reasonable in laying out the story as it 'is' and not as Nick N sees it!

I think Nick N should be man enough and offer a public apology...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I think Nick N should be man enough and offer a public apology...

Well, I at least hope NickN won't post his guide on how to install FTXG now because his method has you restoring a terrain.cfg without your manual edits... which would be a waste of time when the your original cfg is right there on your PC. So his guide will probably make a bigger mess of FSX than the upcoming Orbx uninstaller does. ^_^

Mind you, it would have been best if Orbx had released FTXG with an uninstaller 'out of the box'... B) let there be no mistake about that either.

The FTXG manual only mentions that at a certain moment "FTX Central runs its initial file management routines". Other than that I can't find any information about it.

So it isn't documented.

This is getting ridiculous, it is only a game!  Some of you are just going to far, bashing developers, regardless whether wrong or right.  If there is a problem with Nick why can't they send a private email to him and discuss between each other?  If you are happy with your product why don't you just go and enjoy it?  This just creates a bad atmosphere for everybody.  This FSX community is not the same as it used to be. 

Mo45

This is getting ridiculous, it is only a game! Some of you are just going to far, bashing developers, regardless whether wrong or right. If there is a problem with Nick why can't they send a private email to him and discuss between each other? If you are happy with your product why don't you just go and enjoy it? This just creates a bad atmosphere for everybody. This FSX community is not the same as it used to be.

Ironic considering Nicks responses.

At the end of the day, to both Nick Needham and John Venema, FSX is not a game but a business.

isn't NickN the one who should be doing some emailing? I haven't seen any unkind words toward NickN from the other end of things...

Well, we all know JV is a real gentleman. -_-

Seriously, I do think Orbx did well to not react to this at all and to remove posts about it from their forum.