I want to buy a new GPU for games such as FSX, DCS, Arma III and Battlefield 4. I want to play on my 3 monitor setup, which is a 3x 1920x1080. Plus I might add a small VGA or DVI screen as an instrument panel.

The cards I'm thinking of buying are the the 7990, EVGA GTX 680 4GB, GTX 690 or the GTX Titan 6gb.

7990: I most likely wont go for the 7990, regardless of all the positive benchmarks and it being the most powerful GPU on the market. It has only 3gb of mem in total anyways and AMD wont work too well with FSX and DCS, and from what I've seen, Battlefield also prefers Nvidia. Nevertheless, I will keep my options open.

EVGA GTX 680 4GB: My friend recently got this, but I honestly don't think it has enough power for the high settings I want to use on three monitors. I'm sure it will be able to handle high textures, since it is 4GB, but I'm not really thinking this would be my final option.

GTX 690: I am going to be honest, I don't know much about the GTX 690. It seems to have very good performance, but it only has 2gb of memory per core, which would not be optimal for a multi monitor setup. Plus, many people told me to avoid dual GPU setups (SLI), especially when it comes down to Crossfire, even with their new drivers.

GTX Titan 6GB: I hear many people say that the Titan is overpriced, but I think this could be my final option. It is the most powerful single GPU, it has the highest amount of memory (6GB), which is great for higher resolutions, and it doesn't run too hot like the 690 and 7990. However, most benchmarks I have seen show that the 7990 and 690 still perform quite a bit better than the TItan even on higher resolutions, 

Eyefinity 2.0 vs Surround: Lastly, I want to talk about Eyefinity 2.0 vs Surround. I have had a 6870 and I really like the functions that Eyefinity 2.0 has. One of them being able to use the built in speakers on all monitors hooked up. Additionally, I like how the desktop can stay on the center monitor instead of shifting to the left screen. I would drop AMD immediately if Surround also had these functions, but I just don't know if they do. I couldn't find much information about Surround.

I guess these are two questions in one. Out of the top 4 GPU's mentioned above, what is the best for multi monitor gaming and does Surround have the same functionalities as Eyefinity 2.0?

Thanks in advance!

780 SLI is the fastest and most cost effective option that will deliver the performance you desire at multiple monitor resolutions. $1300 ($300 more than Titan, 7990, 690) buys significantly more performance than any of the other single card options. 680 4GB won't be fast enough in single card configuration, dual cards wouldn't be a bad option but I would recommend dual 4GB 770s instead as they would be cheaper and faster.

780 SLI is the fastest and most cost effective option that will deliver the performance you desire at multiple monitor resolutions. $1300 ($300 more than Titan, 7990, 690) buys significantly more performance than any of the other single card options. 680 4GB won't be fast enough in single card configuration, dual cards wouldn't be a bad option but I would recommend dual 4GB 770s instead as they would be cheaper and faster.

Thank you, but I don't have room in my motherboard for SLI or Crossfire. So it is one of the options I gave earlier I guess. I am thinking the Titan because it has 6GB. Could you also tell me about Eyefinity 2.0 vs Surround what I mentioned above as well please? Thank you!

SLI or Crossfire doesn't play nice with FSX. I speak from experience and found a drop in frame rates.

I did a lot of research into this when I went to triple monitor. FSX does not use the GPU much so you don't need to go for anything too powerful. You are better spending more money on a new CPU then a super powerful GPU. FSX also plays better with Nvidia rather then AMD.

I went for a GTX 670 4GB which has enough power to run with my Intel i5 which is overclocked. This gives me smooth running on FSX and good frame rates on games like Crysis 3.

Don't expect to play all your games on triple screen because not all games are set for triple monitor. Also be aware that FSX on triple screen can look stretched on the outside screens. Some people have mentioned it can make them feel sick though I never had that problem, it does look quite strange when the fuel tanker looks bigger then a 747

im running nVidia surround - triple monitor - on a GTX680 4Gb. does the job brilliantly! the 680 is a great card!

as for your second question, you can configure it as you like. the task bar will be on the middle screen by default. after that u can place all ur windows icons in the centre screen too. 

Plus, with nvidia cards u can use nvidia inspector to optimize the cards performance in fsx. Go for Nvidia and dont look back mate.

im running nVidia surround - triple monitor - on a GTX680 4Gb. does the job brilliantly! the 680 is a great card!

as for your second question, you can configure it as you like. the task bar will be on the middle screen by default. after that u can place all ur windows icons in the centre screen too. 

Plus, with nvidia cards u can use nvidia inspector to optimize the cards performance in fsx. Go for Nvidia and dont look back mate.

Thank you. Because I want to go multi monitor on more than just FSX, but also BF4, Arma III and DCS, I think I will go for the Titan.

I still have a question for Surround however. I am happy to hear you can put the taskbar and icons in the center screen, but how about the built in speakers for the monitors. Will all three of them work? And do you know if I can use a normal 3mm jack for audio instead of HDMI, because ill probably have my two side screens on DVI. Lastly, can you tell me if it is possible to hook up one extra screen of a different brand and size? For instrument panel? Thanks!

Windows 7 can only set up one default output for sound, but in FSX you can have your engines through one set of speakers and the FSX ATC through another, although this wont really give you any benefits. It is mainly designed so you can have the ATC through headphones. As to other games, I don't know any that would use more than one sound output. You cant have all three screens running the same sounds at the same time as far as I know. Why would you want to use a jack plug if your monitors are HDMI and have speakers? Most cards have at least 1 HDMI output so connect this to your centre monitor and use those speakers, connect the outside ones to DVI.

If you want another forth monitor then you either need another card or an onboard graphics chip. Nvidia surround only supports 3 monitors. Just remember that FSX is CPU intensive so the more you add the slower it will run. Your GPU may be up to it but if the CPU is not then you wont notice much difference.

Don't think that you have to have a Titan to play games like BF4, Arma II and DCS. As far as I know all these games play fine at good frame rates on the lower cards. Games are designed to be played on the lower end otherwise these game giants would be out of business. My GTX670 doesn't even work up a sweat and the fan never runs at full speed so the games are not pushing anywhere near the cards full power.

Just an update to this thread for other people. I upgraded my PC with a GTX TITAN and a i7-3770K. I am able to run FSX smoothly at around 40fps on 3 monitors using add ons such as PMDG, REX and FTX global. Sometimes FPS drops to 30 fps, but still stays extremely smooth. Very impressed and pleased! (my i7-3770K is not overclocked!)

Just an update to this thread for other people. I upgraded my PC with a GTX TITAN and a i7-3770K. I am able to run FSX smoothly at around 40fps on 3 monitors using add ons such as PMDG, REX and FTX global. Sometimes FPS drops to 30 fps, but still stays extremely smooth. Very impressed and pleased! (my i7-3770K is not overclocked!)

Sounds impressive for a non-overclocked setup.

How do you find Surround V Eyefinity in general desktop use?

Do you have any trouble getting the taskbar to stay where you put it using Surround?

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Sounds impressive for a non-overclocked setup.

How do you find Surround V Eyefinity in general desktop use?

Do you have any trouble getting the taskbar to stay where you put it using Surround?

Thanks,

gb.

Surround is better than my eyefinity, but I didn't have eyefinity 2.0. I heard a while ago that eyefinity is better than surround. Surround is quite good for desktop use, but I prefer switching to extended desktops which takes about 5 seconds

You can use a 4th monitor on that Titan. In full screen it will work as well. I usually put the FMC on that (or a GPS if I'm flying props) If I need to look at flight plans or teamspeak I just run in window mode and use the 4th screen for viewing other apps/websites etc.

The trick to this is to center it below your surround setup, then drag the windows taskbar down to this screen. Works a treat...

You can use a 4th monitor on that Titan. In full screen it will work as well. I usually put the FMC on that (or a GPS if I'm flying props) If I need to look at flight plans or teamspeak I just run in window mode and use the 4th screen for viewing other apps/websites etc.

The trick to this is to center it below your surround setup, then drag the windows taskbar down to this screen. Works a treat...

You can use a 4th monitor with every card that supports nvidia surround