Sign in to follow this  
futurnet

How you manage an emergency landing with your FMC?

This is the scenario:

I have a failure engine, I declare an emergency and the controller give me the nearest airport and ranway for the   new landing.

So now I need to set in my FMC the new airport and runway with relative star, excluding the original flightplan.

I didn't figure out how  set my FMC for that.

Thanks in advance for any help

Francesco cattaneo

I have a failure engine, I declare an emergency and the controller give me the nearest airport and ranway for the   new landing.
So now I need to set in my FMC the new airport and runway with relative star, excluding the original flightplan.
I didn't figure out how  set my FMC for that.

This is an example of overdependence on automation.

You manage an emergency by ignoring the FMC completely if it is not helping you complete your task.

In and emergency situation, the absolute last thing you want to do is lose your situational awareness and start poking around at the FMC.  If ATC advises you of an airport, push the ARPT button above the nav display and turn towards it when you see it displayed.

You don't need a STAR (if a controller insists, he or she needs to go back to controller school), and you do not need an arrival runway (though, if you're going to try to fly the ILS, all you need is the runway).

If you're going to try the ILS, hit DEP/ARR.  Type the new airport.  Click line select key 6R (the sixth button down on the right), and select the approach ATC advises.  After you've used the info on that page to set your CRS and FREQ, set your REF speed by hitting INIT REF.

After that point: ignore the FMC,

Always remember to fly the plane first.

Kyle Rodgers

This is an example of overdependence on automation.

You manage an emergency by ignoring the FMC completely if it is not helping you complete your task.

In and emergency situation, the absolute last thing you want to do is lose your situational awareness and start poking around at the FMC.  If ATC advises you of an airport, push the ARPT button above the nav display and turn towards it when you see it displayed.

You don't need a STAR (if a controller insists, he or she needs to go back to controller school), and you do not need an arrival runway (though, if you're going to try to fly the ILS, all you need is the runway).

If you're going to try the ILS, hit DEP/ARR.  Type the new airport.  Click line select key 6R (the sixth button down on the right), and select the approach ATC advises.  After you've used the info on that page to set your CRS and FREQ, set your REF speed by hitting INIT REF.

After that point: ignore the FMC,

Always remember to fly the plane first.

Scandinavian13 thank so much to your advises, i try your procedure for get runway ils information in alternate destination but when I am reminded to the approach list of that airport, when I select one nothing happen, I not get the freq information of the ils. what I wrong in this procedure?

Francesco cattaneo

Scandinavian13 thank so much to your advises, i try your procedure for get runway ils information in alternate destination but when I am reminded to the approach list of that airport, when I select one nothing happen, I not get the freq information of the ils. what I wrong in this procedure?

Francesco,

After selecting the corresponding runway and approach in the DEP/ARR page, proceed to the INIT REF (APPROACH) page. You will be able to see the ILS information including Frequency, Identifier and Inbound Course.

However, it is important to remember, and as Kyle touched on, the FMC/CDU is far from your last resort and focussing solely on it will just make your SA (Situational Awareness) fly straight out the window besides you. If you are having trouble with your FMC not displaying information, always remember theres a paper chart not too farway with just as much useful information on it as the FMC will spit out at you :clapping:

Scandinavian13 thank so much to your advises

You're welcome!  And I'd answer your questions, but James (@machine2035) took care of it nicely in the post above.

Kyle Rodgers

Just ignore the Flight Management Comuter if it will distract you. If you are unable to fly a STAR to your airport, simply request radar vectors to the final approach to the airport. But first locate the airport by pressing the airport button on your EFIS in order to display the airports around you on the Navigation Display (ND).

....and never blame your autopilot for taking you off course/descending/doing something that you know your not supposed to be doing. That is my pet-peeve of most virtual pilots flying on a network like VATSIM. If I had a $ for everytime someone has called up saying his autopilot has gone haywire and thats why his heading back to his origin, I just sit here :t0148:

If your the PIC, take Command of your plane, and don't let Captain Otto (aka CMD A/B) take you where he wants to.

If you're going to try the ILS, hit DEP/ARR. Type the new airport. Click line select key 6R (the sixth button down on the right), and select the approach ATC advises. After you've used the info on that page to set your CRS and FREQ, set your REF speed by hitting INIT REF.

It would've been nice if you could indeed select an alternate destination airport and new approach in one go like that, but unfortunately Mr. Boeing has decided against it:

Arrival (ARR) – OTHER

Displays the arrival page for the airport entered into this line through the scratchpad.

ARR prompt for OTHER allows display of arrival information about airports that are not an origin or destination. The displayed information can be viewed but cannot be selected, because the airport is not on the route.

In other words, the DEP/ARR "OTHER" function is for reference purposes only. Changing the destination airport still requires a quick visit to the RTE/Route Page.

yes I cleary understand that the primary objective is to control  my aircraft  and point direct to the alternate airprort ignoring the use of the FMC and using the vectoring of ATC. And yes, I know that the approach charts are the primary resource of a pilot, but is not possible to have all charts of all airports near the hands so the help of fmc to get the ils frequenzy of the rwy in the alternate airport can be usefull.

So I want understand anyway the procedure in the  FMC for getting the  new ils approach.

Supposed I have the old flightlane loaded if I go in DEP/ARR page in the upper side I have the 2 airports of my original flightplan in the lower part I have "other" so i type my icao and push 6R (other arrive), I am moved in a new page where I have all approch rwy and relative star, but if I chose one of them nothing happen (is not selected) and if I go in INIT REF  i don't find any freq opposit of what  happen normally when I select the precedure in the normal FP.

Is this a bug of my FMC? I have the latest SP1c installed.

EDIT:

Thanks Lek767 I read later of my post your replay, so you gave me the answer. What suggest scandinavian13 is not possible.

So no way to know ils information in alternate arrival.

Francesco cattaneo

how suggest lek767 this is the procedure if you want a new approach for an emergency:

1) go in ARC RTE (pag1) and overwrite the old arrival with the new one

2) go in DEP/ARR page and now you will find the new airport in the arrival side, so you can proceed as usual pushing 2R and selecting the approach you got from ATC.

3) now if you go in INIT REF you will find the freq of ils and all info you need.

Thanks again lek 767.

Francesco cattaneo

Sorry, I had assumed you already changed your RTE1 arrival field, and hence where selecting the arrival for that airport in DEP/ARR page.

Enjoy your failures! (Or probably not enjoy them :))

I find it very, very unlikely that after an emergency you would be cleared via a star to your airport. ATC would propably give you a couple of alternate alternatives, then the direct heading to the airport you choose. Depending on the emergency of course, I doubt the pilot even think about the FMC other than entering the approach.

23.png

This is not a sanctioned procedure and should never be attempted in real life. More so because I'm not a pilot.

That said, this is how I did it when sh. hit the fan on one of my flights.

1) stabilize the plane on a heading ATC gives you. Make sure not to use LNAV/VNAV. Use heading and altitude hold.

2) Go to DEP/ARR page and select DEP airport. Chose whatever you want. This will delete the entire route.

3) Select the new airport as the ARR. Chose appropriate STAR, approach and runway. Execute.

4) Go to the legs page, find the waypoint closest to your current position and move it tot the top. You will now have a direct route to it from your current position. Keep in mind altitude, as you don't want this to be a 1900 faf when you're at 15000.

5) Engage LNAV/VNAV

--- or ---

Just fly the darn plane. You have NAV radios and GPS on-board. You can navigate without the FMC. If unsure how to do that, 100 or so jours in a C172 will do wonders for you.

I find it very, very unlikely that after an emergency you would be cleared via a star to your airport. ATC would propably give you a couple of alternate alternatives, then the direct heading to the airport you choose. Depending on the emergency of course, I doubt the pilot even think about the FMC other than entering the approach.

what I want grab in an emergency is not a star cause the ATC will vector me to the rwy, but the freq ILS and configure the INIT REF  so i  can set a safe approach, and if you don't have the specific charts, I think the FMC the only quickly resource. (of course if the failure permit me to operate on the FMC)..

Francesco cattaneo