Sign in to follow this  
DarrenLiewWY

Weather radar and On board taxi camera

Hi all. Was just wondering how come PMDG is selective on what they want to model as "realistic" and what they do not want. Back to the much talked about weather radar. Saw many postings by potential PMDG B777 buyers asking about this and the answer is always "not possible to model that accurately in flight sim". I recall that they had a so called PAYWARE B747-800 extension to the B747 queen of the sky using the B747-400 cockpit. How accurate was that? Also no official response from PMDG on the taxi camera for the B777-300s. Heck not even if there is ever going to be a B777-200ER or B777-200 or B777-300. "Work still goes on huh?".Next thing we are going to hear from PMDG may be something like "not possible to accurately model the taxi camera due to the constraints of flight sim".......

Regards,

Darren Liew

It is their company to run. They can do so how they wish. Obviously they felt there was a demand for the 748 so they did a visual model. This may have been around the time they decided they would do a V2 of 747 - so they may have thought it was best to save the full update till then - makes sense to me.

A fake WXR is completely useless and will use up those all important frames. What the heck is the point of having something that does not work?! Pointless. At least the 748 model was a realistic representation of the real model with full disclaimers about the flight deck.

They have officially said the taxi camera is something they will look into, but again, if it is not feasable then they should not waste resources trying to do it. It would be a cool feature but again will eat up frames and be so little used compared to the amazing stuff like the ECL they are implementing.

You must remember that FSX is a very old piece of software. Heck, what they are doing with the 777 is outstanding. 2 years ago this would have all been considered impossible. If and when we see new software then I think we can start asking for more from PMDG. But at the moment they are killing it for everyone out there.

People need to stop asking for pointless features that just will not work in FSX. Its a waste of bandwidth and time.

Apparently not everyone knows how to search a forum, this has been discussed to death many times. 

Back to the much talked about weather radar. Saw many postings by potential PMDG B777 buyers asking about this and the answer is always "not possible to model that accurately in flight sim".

This is the truth.  If you'd like to go into more detail about why, you are welcome to browse the forums as the others have suggested.  This topic has been discussed at length, more than a few times, rather passionately.  Beyond that, the attempts to justify your stance (visual models are not fully realistic and they've made those, so a radar of compromised realism should also be okay) have also been discussed, at length, in those threads.

If you'd like to see the future of your thread here, you should go look at the others.

I recall that they had a so called PAYWARE B747-800 extension to the B747 queen of the sky using the B747-400 cockpit. How accurate was that?

Firstly, it's the 747-8 (no zeroes).

Secondly, it was very clearly stated that it would be a visual model update only.  The ability to create a known aircraft model from known data is much easier than trying to create a weather radar from data that doesn't exist.  They felt like adding an extra model and sound set for the people who wanted it because they apparently had the resources to do so.  Their goal really wasn't realism in that case.  If you'd like an unrealistic radar, there are already several products out there that have standalone weather radar applications.

Also no official response from PMDG on the taxi camera for the B777-300s. Heck not even if there is ever going to be a B777-200ER or B777-200 or B777-300. "Work still goes on huh?".Next thing we are going to hear from PMDG may be something like "not possible to accurately model the taxi camera due to the constraints of flight sim".......

Really?  You honestly believe that they just have a whole bunch of "Not Possible to Implement" cards in their pockets for use and time they feel like it?

I can't really recall many times where they've used it as an excuse.  Heck, even the radar issue isn't so much an excuse, as much as it's the reality.

Can't wait to read the response from Kyle on this one!!!!

haha - I almost didn't respond because I figured it was just a question about whether or not radar would be in the sim.  I then read the initial post and figured I'd jump in (yet attempt to be tame).

Kyle Rodgers

Darren,

I believe that the PMDG staff are dedicated to providing us with the utmost achievable real-world features that they can.

I strongly object to your implications that PMDG only provide those features that they can be bothered with. This is no way to treat PMDG when it is obvious from the many postings in which others make it clear that they believe PMDG to be an honest and up-front group of enthusiasts.

I am sure that we all feel let down by such unnecessary implications.

Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Pls dont handfeed the troll.

How many hours ago did we have this kind of discussion its always the same thing i suggest leave these threads alone it will be deleted anyways.

Kind regards

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

I am disappointed by the way some members treat people who ask legitimate questions.  Many people are new to FSX or PMDG.  They may not follow this forum like we do.  They may not know the history of weather radar and PMDG.  There is no reason to be so rude.  I assure you, if you asked me a question about one of the many areas I have knowledge, I would not treat you like you are stupid.

There is no reason to be so rude.  I assure you, if you asked me a question about one of the many areas I have knowledge, I would not treat you like you are stupid.

Based on your response here, I don't think you read the initial post.  It's not very neutral.  Rather, it's mostly just vinegar.

Kyle Rodgers

A fake WXR is completely useless and will use up those all important frames. What the heck is the point of having something that does not work?! Pointless. At least the 748 model was a realistic representation of the real model with full disclaimers about the flight deck.

I really don't want to re-open the debate yet again, but I felt this comment had to be answered. I fully agree that a realistic WXR is not possible in FSX, but that doesn't mean a "fake" WXR is not worth having.  A "fake" WXR is not completely useless, as long as it's reasonably representative.  Here's why:

1. Fake WXR paints realistic looking storm cells in CuNim clouds displayed by FSX.

2. Sim pilot sees storm cells on WXR and diverts around them in a realistic manner.

Note it does not matter at all that the weather diverted around is not really there in FSX.  The sim pilot reacted to what the WXR displays were telling him and got a rewarding immersive experience as a result.

Of course if you want to save frames switch the WXR off and never experience an en-route weather divert like this in the sim.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I am disappointed by the way some members treat people who ask legitimate questions.  Many people are new to FSX or PMDG.  They may not follow this forum like we do.  They may not know the history of weather radar and PMDG.  There is no reason to be so rude.  I assure you, if you asked me a question about one of the many areas I have knowledge, I would not treat you like you are stupid.

I would suggest by the wording the OP is fully aware of the amount of times that weather radar is discussed, yet seems to be ignoring all the truthful answers.

In addition to this, he even suggests that PMDG are not up to the task of making a taxi camera, and that they would instead blame the limitations of the sim. This is absolute nonsense. PMDG are providing ridiculously detailed aircraft and pushing a 8+ year old platform further than most, yet he thinks they won't be able to make a taxi camera?

Nothing but a half-arsed troll topic.

Based on your response here, I don't think you read the initial post.  It's not very neutral.  Rather, it's mostly just vinegar.

I agree with that Kyle, it seems an unnecessary and provocative OP. But then that's often what happens after a controversial thread gets deleted.

ki9cAAb.jpg