Sign in to follow this  
nam1394

Autothrottle on Manual Landing

Hello evreyone,

While we are all waiting for the T7, I thought about this question for the beta testers. I have seen some cockpit videos pilots manual landing the plane with the autothrottle on. Is this common like the airbus? And is it simulated in the PMDG?

Thanks in advance

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Boeing recommends AT on during all normal stages of flight. Even in an engine failure, still have the running engine's acceptable AT on (there's two controllers in the 777). I use it every landing and probably does a better job than me LOL. But it's not completely ruled out going manual - do what you're comfortable with  ^_^

• Upvote 4

Also unlike the 737, the AT paddles stay on even if you control the actual levers by hand - so I understand.

Is this true? But i have to disconnect the AT during a manual landing with the Boeing 747 etc. Is it true that we have to leave the AT on during a manual landing with the T7? 

You dont have to do anything.

You can do as you please.

But it is recommended by Boeing to use the AT even for manual landings.

It is called maximum use of equipment and after a 10hr flight through the night it is realy a nice feature to have AT assitance during a circle to land maneuver in mountainous area in rainy and windy conditions!

If you are fit and the wx is beautifull, then by all means turn it off and practice your scanning.

And finally, since we are simmers, we can do as we please whatever the risk :-)

I for one will certainly be disconnecting that AT during manual flight.

Rob Robson

Boeing recommends AT on during all normal stages of flight. Even in an engine failure, still have the running engine's acceptable AT on (there's two controllers in the 777). I use it every landing and probably does a better job than me LOL. But it's not completely ruled out going manual - do what you're comfortable with  ^_^

Thats totally right, I have few friends in some airlines in the middle east area, they assured that the use of A/T is recommended at all stages of flight even if its manually being flown, and it is  MUST during take off or landing in weather conditions and its not allowed to be turned off though, auto pilot is a must in bad weather conditions too. 

I think initial reports regarding Asiana 777 incident stated that A/T was off? 

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Okay, that´s very interesting! But why is it revommended for the T7 and not for 747-400, for example? And the aircraft will set the throttles to idle position automatic? 

I remember the MD-11 wich did the same on landing (was fabulous) , but I had to put the throttle to idle before touchdown. How will be done in the 777?

Best.

Miquel Egea.

Okay, that´s very interesting! But why is it revommended for the T7 and not for 747-400, for example? And the aircraft will set the throttles to idle position automatic? 

Use of autothrottle while handflying is not recommended on the 747-400 because of thrust-pitch coupling, which does not happen on the B777 due to FBW control laws.

Yes, the AT will automatically retard the throttles when flaring.

Would be interesting to know if the 747-8 has the same

Policy as the T7 regarding A/T

On the 744 use of A/T depends on company SOP, it's true that with the middle east

Carriers you 'must' use the A/T on the 777, I have a feeling part of the logic is to do with

The FBW and trimming on these newer aircraft when hand flying.

On the A3xx auto thrust use is also down to company SOP, it flys beautifully with manual thrust.

As far as flightsimming goes, I want to hand fly with manual thrust as much as possible, we don't have airline execs breathing down are necks :)

• Upvote 1

Rob Prest

I have a feeling part of the logic is to do with

The FBW and trimming on these newer aircraft when hand flying.

Your feeling is correct Mr Prest.

Check my reply above.