Sign in to follow this  
flightskyc

Toronto to Zurich

A few shots here of my most recent flight from Toronto to Zurich.

Refuelling Complete:
777-300_v10_3_zps353d4708.png

Climbing out of 23
777-300_v10_31_zpsfdca78f7.png

Nice looking city:
777-300_v10_45_zps717b4acb.png

777-300_v10_57_zpsc7e531c6.png

Cruising over the Atlantic:
777-300_v10_78_zps9f136234.png

Descending into Zurich:
777-300_v10_144_zps7945fc26.png

777-300_v10_157_zps176054f8.png

Getting closer to Zurich:
777-300_v10_166_zpse74bf2ec.png

777-300_v10_182_zpsb7e84fee.png

777-300_v10_187_zps51b63b13.png

Turning to intercept ILS 14:
777-300_v10_204_zpsc594be98.png

Gear down!
777-300_v10_219_zps9a69a87d.png

Final Approach:
777-300_v10_243_zps77fe9c04.png

777-300_v10_232_zps2d7b33ab.png

***Stunning***

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Scenery is mostly freeware - except for Zurich (Aerosoft).

Switzerland Z17 photo scenery, + eur autogen + eur OSM + eur HD mesh = http://simheaven.com/?page_id=238

CYYZ = http://isdg.com.au/

Cheers

Just out of curiosity, and also since I know nothing about XPX, is it possible for the quality of the scenery we see in your shots (autogen/buildings+ground textures) to be on a global scale? Because I must say that it looks much much MUCH better than anything I've ever seen in FSX, FTXG included. If something like this can be covered globally, I'd be quite interested in seeing what I can do with XPX...

Aamir Thacker

If something like this can be covered globally, I'd be quite interested in seeing what I can do with XPX...

it can be globally but you will need a big big hard drive just for xp10 and the scenery.

Just out of curiosity, and also since I know nothing about XPX, is it possible for the quality of the scenery we see in your shots (autogen/buildings+ground textures) to be on a global scale? Because I must say that it looks much much MUCH better than anything I've ever seen in FSX, FTXG included. If something like this can be covered globally, I'd be quite interested in seeing what I can do with XPX...

In theory yes, in practice not yet. :wink:

First: the photo-realistic ground textures... It's possible to get the whole world with tools like G2XPL, but would your hard-drive be able to store this ? One single tile (1°*1°) in my area (resolution: zoom 16) needs about 2Gb. How many terabytes do you have ? So, for the area where you live and where you fly and where you want to enjoy VFR, you can use photo-realistic textures. For the rest of the planet, just keep using autogen textures using landclass data.

Second point: 3D buildings with real-world footprints. Yes that's also global in theory, and it's possible to store everything on today's hard-drives. But it depends on the data in OpenStreetMap. Just visit OpenStreetMap ! Can you see your street ? Can you see your house ? If not, you have to contribute to the project.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/411153-openstreetmap-21-million-miles-of-roads/

Happy flying. B)

Basically what other people said above. For example, the Z17 photo scenery from http://simheaven.com for Zurich is about 6GB alone. Sim Heaven covers most of Europe, I believe they are working on a global mesh as far as a I'm aware.

The autogen you see here is EU autogen provided with one of the mesh's from Sim Heaven. Global autogen is different, but still pretty good. I'll take a screenshot in the future of default stuff.

First: the photo-realistic ground textures... It's possible to get the whole world with tools like G2XPL, but would your hard-drive be able to store this ? One single tile (1°*1°) in my area (resolution: zoom 16) needs about 2Gb. How many terabytes do you have ? So, for the area where you live and where you fly and where you want to enjoy VFR, you can use photo-realistic textures. For the rest of the planet, just keep using autogen textures using landclass data.

Oh wow, okay, I never really thought it would be that space consuming!

Second point: 3D buildings with real-world footprints. Yes that's also global in theory, and it's possible to store everything on today's hard-drives. But it depends on the data in OpenStreetMap. Just visit OpenStreetMap ! Can you see your street ? Can you see your house ? If not, you have to contribute to the project.

Yeah, I can see buildings for place I would be flying, so, yay!

Aamir Thacker