Sign in to follow this  
N1G

It's so quiet here.......

No please, not FL300 !!! The visibility. Remember?  :ph34r:

my main issue with xp10....the visibility bug :angry:  :(  :unsure:    everything else is slowly coming into place:  new moving clouds coming soon, seasons, new 3rd Party weather addon, 757, IXEG 737, etc. etc. :Love:

I just got my XPX running smoothly and consistently without crashing (I was using photo-scenery that was too large), So I think it's great if we take a pause and enjoy the sim as is before the next round of upgrades results in the usual perturbations.

Something strange is going on here ...  There are other computer games/flight simulators/normal computer programs/... where you don't hear anything for months or even years and no one complains, but is living his daily life. Here we have already almost unbearable five weeks with no news, and people do think that the world has stopped turning? :lol:

As already said in an other thread, no news is usually good news in the X-Plane universe. A bigger step forward is to be expected. So ... be patient. Instead of hunting for new kicks, writing in forums, etc. on an (alomst) daily basis, enjoy what we already have - go flying. That's what a flight simulator was made for, isn't it? :rolleyes:

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Something strange is going on here ...  There are other computer games/flight simulators/normal computer programs/... where you don't hear anything for months or even years and no one complains, but is living his daily life. Here we have already almost unbearable five weeks with no news, and people do think that the world has stopped turning? :lol:

As already said in an other thread, no news is usually good news in the X-Plane universe. A bigger step forward is to be expected. So ... be patient. Instead of hunting for new kicks, writing in forums, etc. on an (alomst) daily basis, enjoy what we already have - go flying. That's what a flight simulator was made for, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Forum Simulator 2013 is more fun :lol:

I don't think the world stopped turning LOL, I just think that someone from laminar could send a 2 second email to the people who have helped give them a job. Not a lot to ask IMO. Of course it is a free country so you can for the most part do what you want to do, but that does not make it right or responsible IMO. Their choice, but I don't understand. I would expect this from Chase Bank or many other heartless corporations that hide behind the walls, but not from a small company like this. My opinion only of course. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Bob

I don't think the world stopped turning LOL, I just think that someone from laminar could send a 2 second email to the people who have helped give them a job. Not a lot to ask IMO. Of course it is a free country so you can for the most part do what you want to do, but that does not make it right or responsible IMO. Their choice, but I don't understand. I would expect this from Chase Bank or many other heartless corporations that hide behind the walls, but not from a small company like this. My opinion only of course. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Bob

I agree, it only takes a few seconds to update a blog with a smartphone or other portable device.  Forget family and vacation, WE WANT UPDATES!  :lol:  on our $100 Sim :angry:

There have just been an update on the developer blog :-)

X-Plane is very much still alive :-)

cool thanks for the HU, here is the news:

Rumors of My Death…

…are greatly exaggerated.  I was out of the office last week on vacation (for the first time in 2.5 years) and didn’t bother to post first.  Austin and Chris were also out on vacation for at least a week each.

We are not dead, we are not out of business, and we are definitely not stopping development of X-Plane 10!  Austin has been working on X-Plane since approximately 1637 (well, the 90s at least) and he is not going to stop now.

Stuff We’re Working On

I am still working with Alpilotx and others on DSF recuts.  This work is moving forward, but my side at least is going slowly because I am also working on other features that are pre-release and have not been announced.

I also had some time to do some OpenGL modernization over the last two weeks before vacation.  This code does not directly improve X-Plane, but it sets us up to improve performance: once we have more modern code we can get access to newer GPU features.

Upcoming Releases

At this point I am looking at two releases:

• Some kind of short-beta release to roll out new terrain textures, some of the userr-submitted lego-brick airports, and possibly a few small bug fixes.
  • Then a long-beta release, where we could put a major feature or two, and also ship code that needs more serious testing (e.g. the OpenGL modernization).

Over the last few years that I have been working on X-Plane, the time between major patches has been steadily increasing.  Back in X-Plane 7 or 8, we might have a major patch every three months; with X-Plane 10 that interval is more like six months.  I think this longer time between major betas is good for X-Plane 10:

• It lets us run longer 8-week betas without being in beta perpetually.  This gives third party developers more time test.
  • Fewer larger patches means less work for third parties, since a major patch means retesting add-ons.
  • X-Plane 10 is a much bigger product than X-Plane 6 – it needs a longer development cycle.
Still On Fire?

The other factor making it seem quiet around here (besides slower major betas and the occasional time off is that we are finally moving out of fire-fighting bug-fix mode into doing structured development.  When we were fixing bugs in X-Plane 10.0 as fast as possible, a bug fix was followed by a beta and announcements as quickly as possible.

Now that we have a stable 64-bit build out, we’re writing code that looks to build the future of X-Plane, rather than just fixing its past.  So the quiet you hear now should hopefully turn into good features in the future.

Are you bored ? :wink: And you don't want to fly ?

Then just start improving OpenStreetMap:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/415991-please-update-your-area-on-osm/

Warning, this can become more addictive than forums !!! :P

And then, each time you'll read about a Laminar Research / Alpilotx scenery recut, you'll think: "No, please wait, I still have so much to add in OpenStreetMap for my area." :lol:

In OpenStreetMap, is your area ready for this scenery recut, or for the next one ?

A response. very nice. I guess if the troops get restless they finally decided to feed them. good news.!

bob

Good news, but I hope they're not completely done fixing stuff!

why don't they put the visibility bug as priority, it ruins the fun :angry:  :(   How does Ben fly XP10 with this annoying bug :Thinking:

my main issue with xp10....the visibility bug

I have not gone up high with XPX, using only excellent GA planes at the moment.  What is this visibility bug you talked about?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I have not gone up high with XPX, using only excellent GA planes at the moment.  What is this visibility bug you talked about?

Is it a bug or a feature? :lol: It depends on the view you have on it.

1. If you want to see it as a bug ...: the landscape of X-Plane is divided in 1°x1° tiles. Usually there are (I think)  6 of them loaded which are hi res, the ones farther away are low res, so more blurry. But you see it only when up higher in the air. Place yourself via the local map at say FL 300 and see yourself.
  2. If you want to see it as a feature: it prevents the sim from falling back to fps below 10, as only 6 tiles are loaded at the same time in hi res, thus saving resources.

Now as we have 64 bit, probably LR is working on that - but remember, double the visibilty and you will need four times the resources for viewing farther (probably no only an issue with the VRAM, but also you might have more calculations on the GPU to be done, what will lower the fps). Everything in life comes with a cost ...

Edit:

Actually it isn't a bug, but a feature to save resources. A bug usually is something unintended, this one is intended to save resources with the cost of blurry textures farther away.

I'd say, it is like a car with, say 100 HP, which saves fuel, at the cost that you can't drive 250 km/h (compared to a car with 250 HP, which needs more fuel).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Is it a bug or a feature? :lol: It depends on the view you have on it.

1. If you want to see it as a bug ...: the landscape of X-Plane is divided in 1°x1° tiles. Usually there are (I think)  6 of them loaded which are hi res, the ones farther away are low res, so more blurry. But you see it only when up higher in the air. Place yourself via the local map at say FL 300 and see yourself.
  2. If you want to see it as a feature: it prevents the sim from falling back to fps below 10, as only 6 tiles are loaded at the same time in hi res, thus saving resources.

Now as we have 64 bit, probably LR is working on that - but remember, double the visibilty and you will need four times the resources for viewing farther (probably no only an issue with the VRAM, but also you might have more calculations on the GPU to be done, what will lower the fps). Everything in life comes with a cost ...

Edit:

Actually it isn't a bug, but a feature to save resources. A bug usually is something unintended, this one is intended to save resources with the cost of blurry textures farther away.

I'd say, it is like a car with, say 100 HP, which saves fuel, at the cost that you can't drive 250 km/h (compared to a car with 250 HP, which needs more fuel).

maybe LR can add an option to disable it for people with fast PC's and Video Cards :good:  :drinks: