Sign in to follow this  
antonmorse

Taxi to gate

Whilst I do understand that the ATC control is minimal when I arrive at my destination airport, can someone please advise me, what is the point, if any, of entering an arrival gate number in the controller info page? Am I missing something here? I just get directed to 'taxi to the ramp' every time, and never to my chosen gate.

Also, I have searched the forum but only found bits and pieces so, what do other users do to fill the gap between landing and parking? I'd be interested to hear some alternatives, as I have seen some mention of switching default ATC back on somehow at this point. I currently have DBS Airport GPS, and/or GSX ground services, and/or a freeware 'follow me' vehicle, so I can choose a gate and use any of these to get there, but obviously this does not give any form of comms with ATC.

Thanks

Keith

I just accept it as is: that I am cleared to taxi. You will have noticed that there is no control on crossing other runways either. Then I use GSX to choose a gate and follow the car. That seems to be the most realistic, having a path drawn for you (as in FSX) doesn't appeal to me.

RC doesn't link to parking as far as I am aware.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

You can enhance line flying procedures (under RadarContact ATC control) by using FS Captain, for example. The "ops" in FS Captain assign arrival gates to your flight, so your FSC ACARS might fill the gap - if you own FSC already. It'll be a bit expensive if you buy it 'just' for gate assignments!

Thanks to both of you, it confirms I wasn't missing something with the arrival gate selection. I also do not like the progressive taxi. I already have GSX and FS Captain, so I will use them to fill the gap.

Cheers :)

Whilst I do understand that the ATC control is minimal when I arrive at my destination airport, can someone please advise me, what is the point, if any, of entering an arrival gate number in the controller info page? Am I missing something here? I just get directed to 'taxi to the ramp' every time, and never to my chosen gate.

Also, I have searched the forum but only found bits and pieces so, what do other users do to fill the gap between landing and parking? I'd be interested to hear some alternatives, as I have seen some mention of switching default ATC back on somehow at this point. I currently have DBS Airport GPS, and/or GSX ground services, and/or a freeware 'follow me' vehicle, so I can choose a gate and use any of these to get there, but obviously this does not give any form of comms with ATC.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

If you're entering the gate number before starting RC but not being directed to it that would be unusual since it works for me. You cannot enter a gate after starting RC but I haven't checked if it's possible to enter one after landing. Perhaps you could confirm when you enter it.

As for what else to do. Listen to Ground instructing other aircraft. Use the Follow Me car. The only thing that isn't modelled is permission to cross an active runway. Maybe a future v5 could add that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Permission to cross an active runway is something that I would have liked to see in the default FSX ATC. The actual phrase used in FSX is "continue taxi", but that just doesn't sound right to me. Since I used Flight Unlimited 3 before FSX (a revolutionary piece of software that was seriously underrated IMO), I was used to being told to "hold short (active runway)" as part of the taxi instructions. I was then "cleared to cross (active runway)" when I arrived at the crossing point itself (assuming that it was clear to do so). That method seemed a lot more convincing to me than "continue taxi".

Does anyone know if EditVoicePack includes an option for something like this?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Keith,

If you're entering the gate number before starting RC but not being directed to it that would be unusual since it works for me. You cannot enter a gate after starting RC but I haven't checked if it's possible to enter one after landing. Perhaps you could confirm when you enter it.

As for what else to do. Listen to Ground instructing other aircraft. Use the Follow Me car. The only thing that isn't modelled is permission to cross an active runway. Maybe a future v5 could add that.

Ray,

I create my FSX flight plan (default, so no arrival gate chosen there), and I am sitting at my departure gate, then I open RC4, load in the same flight plan, and add the arrival gate number in controller info and hit 'start RC4' .  When I arrive in KSFO, RC4 just says 'leave at the next high speed exit', to which I acknowledge. When I exit the runway, RC4 tells me to 'taxi to the ramp'. After that, my options are to end RC4 or receive critique.

In case I'm wrong (or (maybe accidently typed a non-existent gate number) I'll pay closer attention when I enter the gate number, but that is how I am getting underway each time .

Also, you make a good point thanks, I should be listening to ground during my taxi, and that will also fill in the gap nicely, along with the follow-me.

[i'm really enjoying this combination of MCE, RC4, & FSCaptain, it creates a good level of realism & even some tension/stress, which I can imagine is often there in the real World].

Keith,

As far as I know RC doesn't check the validity of the gate number you enter. It just enunciates it. This is the first I've heard of this issue. You could pause FS as you leave the active runway and bring up the RC interface. Check what is showing for the gate number then.

As soon as RC4 is started that field is disabled and I did suggest to JD he enable it as it's illogical only to be able to enter something in it before you even start your flight. But for whatever reason the change was never made.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Be sure the gate number on the controller page is just upper case alphabet and numbers with no spaces.

Just to confirm , the arrival gate number worked correctly tonight at Reno, so I assume I typed a wrong gate number or something,

cheers

Keith

Do you mean RC, superglide?

I was having problems, but as I said I have now landed at Reno and it worked - with B5 typed into the arrival box in the controller info tab. Capital letter, and no spaces worked. I have not tried it anywhere else yet, but ronzie confirms this is the correct format.

What's the format for the arrival gate number in AC, please?

Not that complicated... 

The syntax I used when entering gate numbers in RC4 is XYY - where 'X' is a letter and 'YY' is (1 or 2) numbers.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I have GSX but do not have the option of follow me to a gate when I land. Only message after landing is you have to be at the gate to you use GSX