256GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

$0.00

318-1428

Alienware Aurora X79

$0.00

421-5702

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, w/Media

$0.00

I've over clocked to 4.3ghz...and installed Nvidia inspector, I've tweaked the fsx.cfg file using venetubo.com.

I've gone thru multiple guides and have my settings set to what everybody recommends.

I do have the original FSX with SP1 and SP2 installed as well as the latest NVIDIA driver installed.

I'm running NGX and REX OD as well as traffic 360 set right now at 34%

My problem is with my systems I'm only getting around 12-16 fps sitting at the gate at KATL or KSFO, I realize these are busy places but I'm running the default scenery and figured with this system I'd be able to get 25-30 fps and figured with this system I could upgrade to some more detailed 3rd party airports and cities.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I read forums on all these people running way more stuff in FSX with systems not as powerful as this one and they're getting 25-30

I don't have an alien ware system and my computer is about 2 years old with an i2500k,i noticed at least for the cpu, I had to overlook it to at least 4.8ghz to get the performance I wanted, not saying you should try that but for me that was what was holding me back, of course I fly without ai traffic and all other settings are maxed out I get around locked 30 at default airports and between 18 and 25 at high detailed pay ware airport with the next without very heavy weather.

Another Intel user reporting perf issues. o_O

I've tweaked the fsx.cfg file using venetubo.com.

My advice - don't bother. Delete the fsx.cxg file and let it build another. Add this line:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

Get rid of:

* AI traffic (all of it)

* AutoGen (all of it)

See how that goes for a start.

Best regards,

Robin.

Don't worry I was in the same shoes with my Alienware as well.

What I did was disable all traffic including aircraft, cars ferries etc.

Goodluck!

Anthony

Hey guys I just got a new alienware desktop aurora r4

Alienware Aurora-R4

317-8670

Intel Core i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1Ghz

$0.00

317-8672

16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

$0.00

330-6074

Alienware MM Keyboard, US

320-9910

2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

$0.00

342-3695

$0.00

318-1428

Alienware Aurora X79

$0.00

421-5702

$0.00

I've over clocked to 4.3ghz...and installed Nvidia inspector, I've tweaked the fsx.cfg file using venetubo.com.

I've gone thru multiple guides and have my settings set to what everybody recommends.

I do have the original FSX with SP1 and SP2 installed as well as the latest NVIDIA driver installed.

My problem is with my systems I'm only getting around 12-16 fps sitting at the gate at KATL or KSFO, I realize these are busy places but I'm running the default scenery and figured with this system I'd be able to get 25-30 fps and figured with this system I could upgrade to some more detailed 3rd party airports and cities.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I read forums on all these people running way more stuff in FSX with systems not as powerful as this one and they're getting 25-30

I think this is a dupliate thread, but I'll say it again. Try Word Not Allowed's guide rather than soliciting tweaks by onesies and twosies.

What I did was disable all traffic including aircraft, cars ferries etc.

Anthony

Well that's no way to fly!

To the OP: You should absolutely NOT have to disable AI to get great performance with your setup. You've paid the money, now go squeeze the juice out of that thing! [in other words, see Word Not Allowed's guide.]

You should absolutely NOT have to disable AI to get great performance with your setup.

Tell that to Microsoft and ACES. Oh, wait...

Best regards,

Robin.

Tell that to Microsoft and ACES. Oh, wait...

Best regards,

Robin.

I run 60% traffic with Ultimate traffic 2 and 20% vehicles and still get 30fps locked - what exactly are we supposed to be telling ACES? 

Why do you think they got fired?! FSX as a piece of software, is absolute junk. It suffers numerous sources of memory leaks that lead to CTDs. Many aspects of the simulator are absolute resource hogs or so poorly coded they drag any computer to its knees.

Looking at your system specs, you overclocked your processor to 5.0 GHz to get a stable 30 FPS (stock speed of 3.3 GHz according to Intel spec sheets - a 50% overclock). That says it all. I'll bet at stock speeds it's much lower than 30 FPS otherwise you would not need to overclock.

On my system at stock speeds, I get ~21 FPS (locked at 30 FPS) with the NGX at UK2000 Gatwick. If I performed a 50% overclock of my CPU (from 3.5 GHz to 5.25 GHz) then chances are I'd also get a stable 30 FPS (but I'd also be killing my processor).

I don't run any AI or AutoGen. I even have to disable ground scenery shadows because they hit performance (compare with FS9 where things like that have no effect on performance, yet look no different to FSX).

Best regards,

Robin.

Why do you think they got fired?! FSX as a piece of software, is absolute junk. It suffers numerous sources of memory leaks that lead to CTDs. Many aspects of the simulator are absolute resource hogs or so poorly coded they drag any computer to its knees.

Looking at your system specs, you overclocked your processor to 5.0 GHz to get a stable 30 FPS (stock speed of 3.3 GHz according to Intel spec sheets - a 50% overclock). That says it all. I'll bet at stock speeds it's much lower than 30 FPS otherwise you would not need to overclock.

On my system at stock speeds, I get ~21 FPS (locked at 30 FPS) with the NGX at UK2000 Gatwick. If I performed a 50% overclock of my CPU (from 3.5 GHz to 5.25 GHz) then chances are I'd also get a stable 30 FPS (but I'd also be killing my processor).

I don't run any AI or AutoGen. I even have to disable ground scenery shadows because they hit performance (compare with FS9 where things like that have no effect on performance, yet look no different to FSX).

Best regards,

Robin.

You're  mistaken. They were not fired because Fsx was junk. Look around you, fsx is the largest desktop sim.... 7 years on! If it was junk there wouldn't be addons like REX or ORBX or PMDG! Speaking of which, you're on the forum of the best fsx aicraft developers on this green earth. The code for fsx lives on today as P3D, but thats another story

Going back to the original point, the team got canned because Microsoft was trying to restructure itsel and mostly increase profitability! Their aim is to be a software and Devices company (a little like apple with phones, tablets and computers being the majority of their product portfolio) but that may change with steve ballmer leaving soon.

What was really a flop was Microsoft Flight which tried to appeal to a mass market rather than the nice segment of the virtual aviation market. Due to may of us simmers being dissapointed, a bad economy and poor sales; FLIGHT was short-lived

Needless to say, if you don't like Fsx but still love the platform theres P3D for you which is like fsx with fixes (especially when V2 releases) but its shame about the EULA

There is also Xplane

Thats the short version of the last 5 or so years in microsoft and desktop simming

Hey guys I just got a new alienware desktop aurora r4

Alienware Aurora-R4

317-8670

Intel Core i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1Ghz

$0.00

317-8672

16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

$0.00

330-6074

Alienware MM Keyboard, US

320-9910

2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

$0.00

342-3695

$0.00

318-1428

Alienware Aurora X79

$0.00

421-5702

$0.00

Something is definitely wrong with ur setup/tweaks. I know a guy with 3.4 ghz and fairly decent GPU that runs 40 fps on addon airports with the NGX

try this:

• HIGHMEMFIX=1

• [bUFFERPOOLS]

Usepools=0

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If I had to disable all of that i wouldn't be using FSX at all. I run everything at full, except autogen at dense depending on where I am, locked at 35, but then again I never use tubeliners, but I do like AI.as well as road traffic. My rule of thumb, I have my FSX environment where it works, so i am careful not to add any addon that will take away from that, scenery or aircraft. They should adhere to my settings, not the other way around.

Best, Michael

KDFW

If I had to disable all of that i wouldn't be using FSX at all. I run everything at full, except autogen at dense depending on where I am, locked at 35, but then again I never use tubeliners, but I do like AI.as well as road traffic. My rule of thumb, I have my FSX environment where it works, so i am careful not to add any addon that will take away from that, scenery or aircraft. They should adhere to my settings, not the other way around.

Correct!

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I discovered that when you run FSX in a windowed mode and then reduce its size by about 20%, I gained about 15 solid frames giving me a total of 37fps in the NGX at OMDB. 

Going back to the original point, the team got canned because Microsoft was trying to restructure itsel and mostly increase profitability!

LOL - yeah.... and Concorde was scrapped because it wasn't profitable. Whatever...

Do you remember the period where ACES team members were posting publicly (before they got fired)? They were publicly defending the state of FSX and why it performed so poorly?? Many of the posts were made here at AVSIM and are still accessible. They were allowed to do that because it was such a screw-up! Microsoft are the masters at marketing, and they spend BILLIONS on it every year. They do NOT let their employees talk directly about their products as they are PUBLICLY LISTED COMPANY, and anything they say could directly affect the share price. So, it was highly suspicious even back then that MS were letting them speak directly.

To find out they were to be fired was no surprise. The official reason stated was to protect the share price, nothing else. If they said they fired over 5000 people because their work was not up to standard, the share price would plummet because investors would think the quality of the software was poor and people will lose confidence in it, and not buy it.

Look what happened when Ballmer announced his resignation - share price jumped 10%!!!!!

It's all about share price and investor confidence. The Windows Product Manager's resignation a week after the Windows 8 release says a lot, too. He "resigned" to do other things (or at least that is what they say - again - protection of reputation and share price). The lackluster sales tell a different story. Look at the backlash at no Start button!!!!

Best regards,

Robin.