Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

777 Tutorial with PFPX?

Don't mean to get ahead of myself, but with the release of the groundbreaking, and hyper-realistic PFPX, is there any chance the forthcoming 777 Advanced Tutorial could incorporate PFPX in the flight planning/fuel planning section?   I know the FMS is really the most accurate fuel planner, and was used in the NGX Tutorial #2, and it is what I used in fuel planning in the NGX.  I was so impressed with the depth of explanation Ryan provided for the fuel planning section in the tutorial, I even created my own spreadsheet based on his rationale as explained in that document to compute the fuel I load into the NGX.

But I feel that I would like to use PFPX as the fuel planner from this point forward, as it appears to be same kind of software real world dispatchers use.   I know it may be a while before the Topcat program incorporates 777 profiles, but I figure I can use PFPX for everything else, and use the PMDG FMS for takeoff performance.    PFPX is a complex utility, at least now, and would be great to have Ryan do a writeup on using the software to plan flights, much like Angle of Attack uses a beta PFPX in it's NGX instruction product.

I was going to write up a guide on understanding the OFP on a T7 flight once it came out. Was going to include understanding the numerous parts of the OFP including fuel analysis, what to fill in on the navlog and when, ETOPS/ETP section etc. etc.

If PMDG do a similar thing in their tutorial I probably won't bother.

My question is: What do you do for the folks who will not be getting PFPX but WILL have the 777?

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Yes, I don't want to say that PMDG should force PFPX on those who don't own it, but maybe a separate section by PMDG, or a PFPX/777 tutorial from an outside source would be very beneficial to the flightsim community.  It's still early, but the program has all the makings of becoming the "real as it gets" flight planner that flight simmers so desperately needed for years.   I can't imagine any die hard tube liner lover not owning or wanting to own PFPX.

My question is: What do you do for the folks who will not be getting PFPX but WILL have the 777?

Tell them, "now's the time."

Yes, I don't want to say that PMDG should force PFPX on those who don't own it, but maybe a separate section by PMDG, or a PFPX/777 tutorial from an outside source would be very beneficial to the flightsim community. It's still early, but the program has all the makings of becoming the "real as it gets" flight planner that flight simmers so desperately needed for years. I can't imagine any die hard tube liner lover not owning or wanting to own PFPX.

+1

And, even if people aren't using PFPX, I don't see the discussion of the OFP being an issue for them. Hey, Angle of Attack incorporated PFPX into their very first NGX Flightwork flight some months ago, LOOOONG before anyone had access to it. It was a mistake, in my opinion (clearly AoA had no idea how unreliable FlightSimSoft were with their development schedule). Nonetheless, the lessons were very informative and useful. I'll probably go back and use those lessons to familiarize myself with PFPX, but I don't see the harm in having seen the tutorial without PFPX in hand.

But I feel that I would like to use PFPX as the fuel planner from this point forward, as it appears to be same kind of software real world dispatchers use.   I know it may be a while before the Topcat program incorporates 777 profiles, but I figure I can use PFPX for everything else, and use the PMDG FMS for takeoff performance.    PFPX is a complex utility, at least now, and would be great to have Ryan do a writeup on using the software to plan flights, much like Angle of Attack uses a beta PFPX in it's NGX instruction product.

Angle of Attack  http://www.flyaoamedia.com/ will be using PFPX in their PMDG 777 training course.

Don't mean to get ahead of myself, but with the release of the groundbreaking, and hyper-realistic PFPX, is there any chance the forthcoming 777 Advanced Tutorial could incorporate PFPX in the flight planning/fuel planning section?

I don't think PMDG would ever set something up where you'd be required to purchase additional software in order to use their product.

How to use PFPX is better suited to its own course.  Plus, I still question whether or not people have actually figured out what it does (because it honestly doesn't seem like people here truly do, despite it having its own website and information sources).

I'll probably do a video on it at some point...

Kyle Rodgers

I've been planning to use it in the advanced tutorial for months actually. (Christian was kind enough to put me in the beta to learn with) It won't be required though. (you'll be able to just use the output basically without going through creating it)

The first tutorial uses it briefly actually to generate ETOPS 120 circles and Exit/Entry/ETP.

The 777 should be supported out of the box with it too - we gave Christian all the info to create a profile specifically for it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Gotta say...its actually pretty easy to use. Did a rough plan for the KMEM-OMDB flight. its pretty simple to use. I adjusted a few values to make it reflect a 777F since there's no profile for one but seems worth the money.

I don't think PMDG would ever set something up where you'd be required to purchase additional software in order to use their product.

How to use PFPX is better suited to its own course.  Plus, I still question whether or not people have actually figured out what it does (because it honestly doesn't seem like people here truly do, despite it having its own website and information sources).

Please do :)

Gotta say...its actually pretty easy to use. Did a rough plan for the KMEM-OMDB flight. its pretty simple to use. I adjusted a few values to make it reflect a 777F since there's no profile for one but seems worth the money.

Please do :)

Indeed, getting the job done with it is actually much easier than I first thought given its pretty busy interface.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Thanks Kyle, It would be great if you could.

Your videos of the 777 in beta have been good well sorry I should say excellent!

Greg

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

I noticed a Frooglesim vid that demonstrates cutting and pasting winds aloft data from another flight planner into a file in the PMDG WX folder.

Can you just do the same thing with the WA info generated by PFPX when you create a flight?

Can you just do the same thing with the WA info generated by PFPX when you create a flight?

If it's in the same format, yes.

Kyle Rodgers

I noticed a Frooglesim vid that demonstrates cutting and pasting winds aloft data from another flight planner into a file in the PMDG WX folder.

Pretty sure the developers at PFPX are currently working to put one of their wind block formats to match that of PMDG's requirements - I am sure it will be out rather soon.

Most of the other weather client developers are already on board, both AS and Opus are now supported, with FSGRW currently developing theirs (and I anticipate that the build would be released also relatively soon).