Sign in to follow this  
jd

Version 5 Status

Four years ago this month, my life changed, in ways I still find hard to put into words.  For most of the last 20 years my wife has suffered a debilitating disease which robbed me of the woman I married 30 years ago and the mother of our wonderful daughter. During those 2 decades, I spent the day taking care of my wife, and raising my daughter, and working at BellSouth. In the other hours, I teamed up with my partner Doug, and a handful of dedicated beta testers, and managed to create something special, Radar Contact. In many respects, I think RC kept me sane and focused on the things that were important.

During those years, through sheer determination and perseverance, helped by science, technology, pharmaceuticals, and a pair of wonderful doctors - my wife emerged from those decades of fog. Once again I saw glint her in her eye, I heard the laugh that I had longed to hear, and I was reunited with my wife, my partner, my soul mate.

At the same time, my daughter had taken a giant leap.  She was no longer the rambunctious little kid, but was now a mature young woman preparing to go off to college.

While these events were going on in my personal life, I turned my attention to Radar Contact on numerous occasions. Each time, I found myself seduced by the people, the emotions, the companionship, the adventures that I had missed for so long.

I know this will be a great disappointment to many of you, and I share your disappointment.  I’m blessed by the countless friendships that would have never been possible without Radar Contact.  I know many users that have gone on to become licensed pilots, some who have their commercial licenses. I think sometimes, in some small way, maybe RC helped them to achieve what I only dreamed of. I will never be able to express my gratitude and appreciation to all of you.

There is one thing I've learned over the last 20 years, never say never. My life is proof that things change when you least expect them, and it would be silly to say there will never be a version 5. But for the near term, I'm selfishly going to do the things that bring me joy, and make me laugh, and make me smile, and make me feel good all over. I'm going to live life to the fullest, with my wife, my daughter, my family.

So I hope in the end, you will not be disappointed, but you will be happy. Happy for me, my wife and my daughter. I hope you can agree, that putting Version 5 on the shelf for now, is the right decision at this time, and it’s for the right reasons. Remember, never say never.

If you are interested in photography like I am, you can see what's new at my gplus page.

JD

I’m where John is. The only difference being I got there more quickly.

JDTLLC was born in 1997 and went to work on RCv1. John, myself and our beta testers stayed full bore through RCv3. By the end of v3 I was feeling the unhealthy affects of the 14-18hr/day ATC life I was leading. Off we went into today’s RCv4.

By that end, everything around me and about me was suffering, including my mental state. And this is where my guilt begins… John and the beta testers began RCv5 development; I could not participate. I regret this deeply still, but that temporary sabbatical has changed my life for the better and forever. It was necessary for sanity. And that’s my sincere hope for John. I’m thrilled for him that his wife is back and his daughter has become a strong woman. Many prayers have been answered. For my dearest friend John and his family, this has been long overdue!

I’ve watched this brilliant man go through very tough times in his personal life. I’ll never forget John’s commitment to his family and dedication to JDTLLC, even in the worst of times. And John had some ‘worst of times’. I love John Dekker. He deserves the best and if his life has changed where he’s smiling and excited about his tomorrows… I support him in whatever he needs.

Never say never. JDTLLC is not going out of business.

Doug

And to answer some of the questions that I’m sure will come up:

1. We will continue to generate keys, preferably by the automated key generator and email, but we will continue to do them manually for those who forget how
  2. We will continue to support RC in the same way we have supported it from day 1, we will answer any and all questions, we will refer users to the download links, and updated versions of FSUIPC and makerwys.exe, and when necessary, analyze logs and other information to determine the issue that the user is having
  3. The only thing that has changed, is that version 5 is on the shelve. If and when work is ever started on it again, we will let you know.
  4. We are taking this step for all the right reasons, because our lives have changed in positive and loving ways. There is nothing negative that should be read into this.

jd

I'm selfishly going to do the things that bring me joy, and make me laugh, and make me smile, and make me feel good all over. I'm going to live life to the fullest, with my wife, my daughter, my family.

Seems like a great logical choice to me and i wouldn't have said "selfishly" if i were you... even though "the me" i actually am was hoping & waiting for v5.

Best wishes to you & your family.

Dear JD,

I can only say this: I am very happy that you are happy, that is all that matters. I used RC almost from day one, and actually still do. I am sorry that v5 is now frozen, but that matters very little when compared to human lives. Your happiness and that of your family come first. Be happy and thank you for all you have done. Stay well!

Giorgio

Real Life and family must always come first.

I still use RC4.3 and it still does a fabulous job compared to whats out there.

All the best.

spacer.png

Very moving.

Best wishes to you and your families, JD and Doug. Your legacy will live on in 4.3, regardless of whether this is a permanent decision or not.

With warmest regards,

Walter Meier

As I type this, I'm probably hearing your voice talk with ATC.  I have been with RC from the beginning and will continue with the current version until something better comes along.  

I congratulate you on your decision.  Best wishes to you both and your families.  

Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Dear John,

to be very honest I was badly looking forward to version 5 and I was very anxious that the long silence could mean the end of version 5.

But now, after reading this, I have to say I am very happy. Who cares about a new version of a software when after such a long time of suffering things for you and your family finally turn good again ?

I am sure this is the right move and there is nothing selfish about it !

All the best and many happy years for you and your family !

Completely and totally understand, JD.  You are doing the RIGHT thing.  You are enjoying the things that REALLY matter in life!  As I'm sure you know, you can never get the time back.  RC5 can be written any time.  But, that time with your wife and daughter can never be gotten back!!!!  Thank you for the countless hours of enjoyment with RC4 and best wishes to you and your family going forward.  May God bless you with many, many more happy years together!!!!!!!!  ALL THE BEST!!!!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

John, you are very lucky to have your wife back and able to spend time with your daughter. I lost my family a while back. I wish I had the opportunity you have right now. The choice you made shows the character you have. Always family first.

This may sound stupid but I use FS and RC to take my mind away from the loss of my family. It helps you escape reality and puts you in a different world for a while, takes your mind away from reality.

I admire and envy your choice. I appreciate the status and hopefully someday we will see a new version.

Thank you for giving us RC. You have helped many of people in many ways.

Enjoy your family :)

Hi Guys,

To both of you,I am glad that your prayers have had a positive outcome after all the days of darkness which you endured.

I think that the current version whilst not up to date will suffice for a lot of users many of whom fly in the past! The time will come when RC5 may again see the light of day,and when that happens I will purchase it,along with many others.

JD,John  enjoy your changed life to the fullest.

You made the correct decision without any doubt.  Enjoy the living part of life and we simmers will survive in the cyberverse with RC4.3.

John

:rolleyes:

...So I hope in the end, you will not be disappointed, but you will be happy. Happy for me, my wife and my daughter...

JD,

I'm thrilled for you!  I hope your future is bright...

DJ

Hi JD,

I know that you have made the right choice and that someday the work on RC5 will resume, but that will be in His time not ours.

It has been a pleasure working with you and the team.

Take care.

Neil Bradley

That is the right decision JD and I'm so pleased that a dark cloud over your life has passed and that you are happy once more. Family must always come first, as many others have said.

I will continue to use RCv4.3 as flying without it is not flying!

Best wishes to you and yours.

Iain Smith

So I hope in the end, you will not be disappointed, but you will be happy. Happy for me, my wife and my daughter. I hope you can agree, that putting Version 5 on the shelf for now, is the right decision at this time, and it’s for the right reasons. Remember, never say never.

I wish I would have never enjoyed my hundreds of hours using RC if that could have prevented your stolen happiness (and with your I mean all your family) all these past years. I wish you all the best.

Ramón Cutanda

http://ramoncutanda.com