Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

The TDS B787, So Far

Not really meant to be a mini-review, rather a line in the sand...

What a great looking model, and long-awaited as the Last Big Thing for FS9.

jqhs.jpg

Overall the model is beautifully made.

The nose is a tad too pointy, but the rest is so good one isn’t distracted too much.

First step was to install a new panel, and there’s a nice looking (ongoing) project by Wilhelm Luditz and others.

fs2004_tds_b787_panel_project.zip

75s2.jpg

There were issues with nosewheel contact points at one time but these were sorted by including [VC] sections in the panel for the XML coding.

The jet was a bit too eager to fly off, and a fix for the FDE has been posted at flightsim.com. I am using the [engines] part of that only, as there seemed to be other conflicts with the autopilot.

Next was a visit to TSS (payware) for a nice Trent 1000 soundset. It has a wonderful smooth sound, not very loud at all (unfortunately J )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8tISd_uSI&feature=youtu.be

Some nice repaints started flowing early on, and now there is a flood.

I settled for the original ANA and British Airways liveries for most of my flying.

With so many ground service vehicles to choose from in the model, I thought AES might be superfluous. But minor tweaking of the AES intelliscene file produces a good compliment of busy apron activity.

dtb7.jpg

As time goes on, I’m sure the painters will start to pay more attention to the ground service vehicles which look a little clinical, especially when in the company of AES.

I made some of mine a little dirtier: 

zono.jpg

It’s a great addition to the FS9 fleet, and hopefully the flightsim community will help produce tweaks and add-ins for this wonderful freeware offering.

• Upvote 1

I actually went ahead and painted the ground service vehicles, as I typically do. You'd be surprised how much detail I put into my planes, down to the passenger doorway, the cargo containers, and even the pilots.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Haha... how about doing a generic but detailed repaint for the service vehicles, so one could just plug 'em in to various liveries?

Haha... how about doing a generic but detailed repaint for the service vehicles, so one could just plug 'em in to various liveries?

On the 777s I did, I had LSG Sky Chefs along with Gate Gourmet. I pretty much just did the liveries based on the airline.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Sounds fine, there are 5 GSV texture sheets awaiting... :)

I didn't say I was going to do them for the 787. Seeing as I haven't painted the 787 in any real world liveries, there wouldn't be any purpose in doing so. Even then, one texture is exactly the same as the texture for the 777. The other is almost exactly the same, only difference being the 777 texture has a huge blank spot in one corner, whereas the 787 has the tug in that spot. So really, there would only be three textures to do in my case if I intended to do them.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

I don't see the "excitement" about this aircraft.  It flies horribly on my system (compared to other models) and appears to have been hastily released as there are several "problems".

I just don't enjoy it at all and it was removed from my hanger.

gwillmot

Do you have the new FDE or the original one that came with it. The FDE did receive an update around the end of July. What other problems did you have?

Heh heh... my first modern airliner download (hey, it's the hot plane in the news, so why not?), and it's amazing what all comes with it!

But, when I start the Sim with the 787, I get Error messages regarding Gauges like the TCAS, etc. Once I get past the messages it appears as if everything works!

I just got the new FDE...sounds like a little cut and paste is in order, right?

Maybe I'll spend Labor Day playing around with it a little; it's such a nice day though, and I want to take the 195 for a spin...

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Heh heh... my first modern airliner download (hey, it's the hot plane in the news, so why not?), and it's amazing what all comes with it!

But, when I start the Sim with the 787, I get Error messages regarding Gauges like the TCAS, etc. Once I get past the messages it appears as if everything works!

I just got the new FDE...sounds like a little cut and paste is in order, right?

Maybe I'll spend Labor Day playing around with it a little; it's such a nice day though, and I want to take the 195 for a spin...

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

TCAS? Did you happen to download it from Simviation? If so, that isn't supported since they have the tendency to edit things on their own, so when things don't work, the people over at TDS don't have a clue what the issue is since they don't know what modifications have been made. You're better off downloading it from FlightSim. Not sure if the files are on AVSIM. The TDS 787 as originally released uses the FS2004 default 777 panel, so if you're getting errors about TCAS, you definitely have something that's been edited to some extent.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Kevin,

I D/L'ed it from FlightSim. There was a Utility Panel Update and another one from Ray Long, which I also got.

I think I'm going to start from scratch and re- DL the whole kit and kaboodle, just to make sure. Any other advice or things to look out for?

Thanks!

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I'd say start with a fresh download of the aircraft along with the updated FDE first. Don't try the panel just yet. If there's any model updates, you'll want to get them as well.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Kevin,

Clean re-install it is.

Also have the Updated FDE, so I'll give it a go and see what happens this time!

Cheers!

Borg_zps5faa8d8e.png

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg