Sign in to follow this  
machine2035

Wind Data Downlink

Just watching Froogles "Fully Loaded" video and noticed it is possible to copy the wind block data from AS2012, chuck it in a notepad file, name it the same as the co-route (but put .wx instead), and the enroute winds will be downlinked into the FMC (well actually I am assuming so, I haven't actually watched the rest of the video yet only the first few minutes where he chucks it in a notepad file. I am just assuming what will be in the future of the video ^_^ ).

My question is does this support other weather clients aswell, mainly Opus? Opus uses GRIB data (and I believe this data is available from a notepad file somewhere) so I assume it would be possible to use...and as you know, GRIB data is what is used by airline's flight planning software and hence downlinked to the aircraft when the wind data is requested via ACARS.

...anyway super cool feature.. No longer will I develop RSI (nearly wrote RSR instead ha) from putting them in manually! :P :lol: B)

Do you think this is the "surprise" we've all been waiting for? I don't think this has ever been revealed before!

Fantastic! Just watching now and it's incredible.

Do you think this is the "surprise" we've all been waiting for? I don't think this has ever been revealed before!

Fantastic! Just watching now and it's incredible.

Well it surely is a suprise to me, but it isn't the main one that everyone has been talking about.

The big suprise is something outside the airplane (outside the cockpit I think?)

I will be dissapointed though if only AS2012 is supported, many users have now moved to superior weather programs in FSGRW and OPUS.

Well it surely is a suprise to me, but it isn't the main one that everyone has been talking about.

The big suprise is something outside the airplane (outside the cockpit I think?)

I will be dissapointed though if only AS2012 is supported, many users have now moved to superior weather programs in FSGRW and OPUS.

I forgot that it was an external surprise!

Wow, we are seriously in for a treat. There's probably many quirks for us.

I agree. FSGRW is my main weather program now.

It is not the surprise, but it also wasn't supposed to be shown.

My question is does this support other weather clients aswell, mainly Opus?

It supports whatever program lists the wind in the same format...

Kyle Rodgers

It supports whatever program lists the wind in the same format...

Which unfortunately is only AS2012.

The data is available, but not in the EXACT same format. For example, PFPX has the data (wind & temps @ FL's), but it isn't presented in the exact same format..

Guess I will have to write a script.

interesting...shame it only works with activesky it seems...FSGRW has the very same problem of a different format 

good thing about FSGRW is that you can save that weather output directly from the program..no annoying copy pasting plug in a name and save it...i suppose developers could adapt but i would also imagine its not gonna be THAT easy to convince them to do so

but then again activesky is not the top-dog anymore when it comes to WX engines so who knows

+1 for this feature on OPUS too :lol:

I posted question for this feature on Opus forums, lets see..

Mikael Leinonen

Guess I will have to write a script.

Looks like I'm going to be busy after this release...  B)

Ok - before anyone starts up with this "shame on PMDG" crap again this is getting closed with a statement:

It does not "support" Active Sky only. We picked the format they use because it's presented right there easily in their text output and it makes sense. (Tab-delimited direction/speed/temp from 6K to 49K - it's also the precise format seen on a lot of real world flight plans)

The format is fully documented in the 777 documentation and we describe precisely how developers (including HiFi/Active Sky) can fully support the feature in an automated way that doesn't require the manual copy+paste stuff. We have not been in touch with any developers about this as it was meant to be a surprise upon release that was unfortunately spoiled today.

Seriously, AS's output format was just what we picked to use because it made sense to us - we're not in cahoots with them and trying to shut out any other weather program. HiFi has no knowledge the feature even exists unless they've read this thread.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com