Sign in to follow this  
bensam

PMDG 777 windows 8 x 64

Has anyone got the PMDG 777 running on windows 8 x 64 yet ???

The PMDG product details on their website says it might work but won't support it if doesn't. !!

FSX works great on windows 8 for (me including the NGX ) but I am not keen on buying something that might not work with no support and no refund for a downloaded product.

Any feedback would be appreciated. ...thanks.

This is the whole point of my 'Bitter Sweet' post concerning the 777. Windows 8.1 is around the corner and here we have a shinny new 777 only compatible with a seven year old product and an OS one version behind the current one...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I am going to answer my own question with this update. ...I took the chance and bought it...only two glitches so far but not related to windows 8. One.. Had the op center livery manager problem like lots of others. This was quickly fixed by pmdg by a software update. Two ..have got the trim wheel problem that others have reported..have got the full saitek Cessna pro set up and none of the control boxes work with pmdg products with the exception of the gear and flap levers. . I find windows 8 runs FSX great and is extremely stable with FSX load time of about 12 seconds without an SSD but on a dedicated hard drive.

Just set up a Dual Boot system. It works great and problem solved.

Want to play PMDG 777....boot Windows 7

Want to play something else......boot Windows 8

Matthew Kane

Haven't got the option I'm afraid.. my rig is a Chillblast ( UK manufacturer ) system purpose built and tuned by them for FSX that came with Windows 8 pro x 64 bit installed. In fact the only FSX addon that will not work on W8 and FSX is the Flight 1 PC12.. which is a shame as that's the plane I'm going to buy when I win the lottery !!!

Installed 777 on my Windows 8/64 PC and it runs with no problem. 

Completed the tutorial flight yestarday evening and I did not encounter any bug or problem.

Trim wheel setting ok (I manage all my USB peripherals for FSX inside FSUIPC, I just assigned two joystick buttons (Warthog throttle) to Elevator Trim Up and Elevator Trim Down functions in FSUIPC.

Chris

Thanks Chris.. I think my problem is a Saitek / Pmdg bug with my trim wheel. All my Saitek controllers work with everything else I have, such as the Majestic Q400 , Airbus X, lots of Carenados and the Aerosoft Twin Otter extended. I have the same fault with my 737 NGX which was also present when I had Vista installed. I think I will check for the latest Saitek drivers and then raise a support ticket if that does not fix it.

I am running the PMDG 777 on Windows 8 64, I have no problems with it whatsoever. I haven't yet tried to download any liveries given the issues reported by other members, and I am about to do my first long haul flight with it. I tested the plane around Hong Kong last night given that the scenery I have for Hong Kong is one of the most detailed that I have. I am pleased to report that both software and hardware performed without any problems. I left the plane idling at Stansted overnight to see if it runs into any memory problems over time, but nothing materialized. Now I am going to run it on an 8 hour flight to see how it performs when the plane's functions are actually being used. Any issues I will post here.

I just updated the PMDG Operations Centre, and have successfully downloaded several liveries. It also shows both the PMDG 737 and JS 4100, so no issues there on Windows 8.

This is the whole point of my 'Bitter Sweet' post concerning the 777. Windows 8.1 is around the corner and here we have a shinny new 777 only compatible with a seven year old product and an OS one version behind the current one...

Dillon, although I understand what you are saying, you must just look carefully at what PMDG have said, they didn't say it WON'T run, they just say that due to the fact that Win 8 is not so widely accepted, they didn't TEST it.

As you can see here, mostly no issues! :Peace:

Kind regards

Hi all.

Just wanted to say thank you for having shared your experience with the PMDG 777 + Windows 8. I also use that OS and was wondering the same thing. Now I bought it and am also enjoying that bird.

[]s

My sense is that over time - like DOS 2.0....WinXP.... WinNT.....Vista...... Win7...... The OS will be increasingly backwards compatible and devs will be able to support Win8 more regularly.

Win8 is still raw and will be for a few updates yet. Just like it's always been.

I am running PMDG 777 on Win8 64 bit with absolutely no issues. I can download and install liveries without problems.

I also experience quite nice fps, better than ngx.

I have it running with no issues at all. Depending on some of the addons you install, fsx will crash on startup, but once I re-install fuipc it fixes everything. Just did my first flight from KCLT to KMIA this morning.

I create a restore point after I install a few addons when I verify that everything is working fine, just incase something breaks. It has saved me a few head aces the past couple days because I have alot of addons lol

Well, I just completed my first trip from FAJS to OMDB on the 777, and as far as the 777 is concerned, there are no problems whatsoever. The scenery files for Dubai are a different matter though, they're all gone :huh: . Though I am pretty sure that's not as a result of the 777.