Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

Impact of PMDG's B777 on X-Plane-community?

Hi to all

What do you think? Will PMDG now, since the released their newest B777, have more time to build aircrafts for X-Plane, as they announced a long time ago?

Cheers

François

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

What do you think? Will PMDG now, since the released their newest B777, have more time to build aircrafts for X-Plane, as they announced a long time ago?

If PMDG has the same approach as other developers who publish for both platforms, I guess they have a dedicated team for X-Plane and I don't think that the FSX team(s?) will do much support there.

But who knows, this is pure speculation. In fact, PMDG ARE building aircraft since quite a while. It just takes time (and this is good).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I think it's a good possibility that now that their 777 is released, they will give more attention to their XPX project. Of course their work is not done with the 777, they will be frantically doing updates, patches and technical support over the next few months until the 777 is stable. I however was thinking the same thing that it may finally be X-Planes turn.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Yeah, I really hope that we will soon have a nice surprise, i mean that it won't be too long anymore...let's see ;-)

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

As Mario said they will surely have other people doing XP stuff as I imagine the skillset is not the same for most of the creation process.

Was the 777 their last project for FSX or will they continue to develop new add-ons for MSFS ?

They still have 747v2 to develop. I guess we need to wait longer for a PMDG product for X-plane.

I can't see them doing anything soon with X-plane despite what they have said earlier. I'm sure the sales of the T7 even at its historic price will only strengthen their resolve in not diverting too much time/R&D into XPlane. Have to give them and A2A credit they have really ignited the FSX userbase again. I swore I wouldn't purchase another FSX GA, but A2A changed my stand. I haven't purchased the T7.....yet, as I was hoping one of the next-gen XPX tubeliners would be out by now, but looks like PMDG is about to ###### my dedicated funds. 

They still have 747v2 to develop. I guess we need to wait longer for a PMDG product for X-plane.

And the DC-6. Plus RSR was talking about a DC-3 or DC-4 getting developed after that.

I don't think PMDG will stop developing for FSX anytime soon.

Have to give them and A2A credit...

Don't forget the Orbx FTX Global impact too. Add up the three you're looking at almost $250, but each of them are absolutely excellent standing on their own individual merits. The AVSIM forum servers are no slouch, and over the past day or two they've been hammered with traffic regarding the PMDG 777 - that speaks volumes for the buzz in the flightsim community surrounding this release. 

What impact with the PMDG 777 have on the X-Plane community? I don't think it will change anything, really. Dedicated X-Plane users are not likely to move towards MSFS just for this addon, and dual-sim users who like airliners will likely invest and use it, but probably not "leave" X-Plane entirely for it.

PMDG (and others) would be smart to put at least some work into X-Plane development (*as they state they are), if only to be prepared with practical experience should the marketplace ever shift substantially... but in the near-term, the anticipated success of the Boeing 777 will probably send a clear message to them and others that the "reports of MSFS's demise have been greatly exaggerated".

Ultimately though, I think the fact that the 777 doesn't change anything is a core issue in-and-of itself. X-Plane needs MSFS users and developers to change (or at least expand) their platform of choice, but the continued production of exceptional addons like the 777, the A2A C172, and even Orbx FTX Global serve to keep the MSFS platform not only relevant, but active and vibrant. This keeps the positive feedback loop going. Addons beget users, who beget addons, which beget users... ...it's a hump which X-Plane struggles to overcome.

The PDMG 777 might keep people on FSX and give new life to it, but that's at the expense of the MSFS "platform" which is now carried by Prepar3d.

The PDMG 777 actually auto-quits the entire program if it detects that it's installed into P3D. So users now must have an FSX installation separate from P3D if they didn't already, and lose out on any P3D fixes and improvements while flying the 777. Already there's grumbling as people didn't clearly understand the requirements and they bought a $90 non-refundable add-on they can't use.

I don't see any particular impact on XP in the near future, but it seems a line has been drawn in the MSFS world, that as consumers they can't "cheat" the P3D EULA and enjoy its fixes/improvements for much longer, if they want the goodies still being released for FSX.

but it seems a line has been drawn in the MSFS world, that as consumers they can't "cheat" the P3D EULA and enjoy its fixes/improvements for much longer, if they want the goodies still being released for FSX.

I think many users are hoping that either the P3D EULA will get more friendly to non-professional / non-academic users, or that PMDG will change their mind and publish their products for P3D.

By the way, the A2A C172 made me actually think of leaving X-Plane, but the invested time and money, and the learned X-Plane related skills, keep me there, and hope that one day, even if it's two or three years in the future, we have something similar for X-Plane. The Saab 340 may be a good start in the field of regional aircraft.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

The AVSIM forum servers are no slouch

Slightly off topic focus but that's one thing I would have to respectfully disagree with. Although it's a great community and (for the most part) very smoothly run, Avsim is the only site I visit that is regularly slow / unresponsive / 503ing.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yep apart from the Saab it seems very quiet on the complex aircraft front in XP. For modern airliners the only quality offerings that stand out to me are the CRJ and the FF T7. I am very much looking forward to the FF 757 but that seems to be on hold for now, all the other stuff that has come out uses simplified avionics with the default FMS. The ATR was a wasted opportunity - fantastic model married to Fisher Price avionics; imagine how that would have been had Philipp & co done the FMS and systems. Let's not forget the JAR A320 which admittedly does get better with every release but is effectively unfinished and in public beta (à la Blackbox). Peter's 'buses are fantastic but most are lacking 3d 'pits and are just crying out for a proper MCDU. He and JAR should get together that would be good.