Sign in to follow this  
jsscvtx

MINS & BARO "small" Knobs on the EFIS control panel issue

Hello all new 777 Captains!

Here's what I noticed when I set the either the Altimeter or Minimums.  The big knobs that switch between "RADIO & BARO" and "IN & HPA" not a problem you right click or left click and it switches just fine.

However, when I use the small knob on top to put in the Altimeter setting or set the Minimums.  The knobs don't move at all when you scroll the mouse wheel.  

You have to right or left click like you do on the big knobs they sit on, and you only get 1 digit change at a time with each click which takes a long time.  

BUT... found that if you hold down either the right or left mouse button (depending on which way you need to go) and then drag the mouse courser down the screen at the same time it speeds up the rate at which it changes.

My question is shouldn't be setup to use the "mouse wheel" to turn the small knobs right or left to change the Altimeter or Minimums settings???

IMPORTANT:  No I have yet to read the manual I downloaded before work and just had to check it out... Damn if I wasn't two hours late to work! :lol:  

I have the NGX and the J41 and both of those are set to use the "mouse wheel"

So has anyone else noticed this???

I apologize for not being able to check the OPS manual.  I was going to download it at the office but there not available to download on the website.

P.S. Hats off to the PMDG team for such an outstanding product.  It's is worth every penny!!! :Applause:

Hotel Kilo

John

That's the way those knobs are designed to work. The 'small knobs' don't "scroll", you hold to the left or right to whichever Baro pressure you set; as this is done in the real aircraft. This is explicitly stated in the Introduction Manual.

The knobs don't move at all when you scroll the mouse wheel.  

Intro manual, good sir...

Read the intro manual.  Please.

Kyle Rodgers

Say three times please, this is not the NGX!

Write on the board 25 times, I will read the introduction documentation. :-)

Yes I know it's not the NGX or J41 x3 and to read the intro x25 (POH) just like I do before I get in and fly any real plane I have never flown before  :wink:

That being said and knowing the real plane you simple hold it right or left to set it.  

I think "user friendly wise" simulating that same hold motion by using the "mouse wheel" would be easier.  NOTE:  I am not asking for it to spin or anything.

Maybe just increasing the rate at which it changes settings, or having the option to use the "mouse wheel" instead???

I only tinkered with it for just a few minutes.  Don't worry I'm not going to demand a refund and make a big stick!  I just was curious and couldn't wait to get home to find out by reading the intro 25 times!  :lol:

Hotel Kilo

John

Maybe just increasing the rate at which it changes settings, or having the option to use the "mouse wheel" instead???

Wait til you get home, and read the manual.  :wink:

After that point, you may opine all you want.  You're missing something important.  Being the 400th person to mention this, however, I'm not in the mood to retype it all over again (or go looking for it to copy / paste...sorry  :smile: ) 

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, WILCO!  I've seen how busy you've been posting away... I wouldn't ask or expect anything more of you!!!  Keep up the good work!

Hotel Kilo... Out!

Kyle, WILCO!  I've seen how busy you've been posting away... I wouldn't ask or expect anything more of you!!!  Keep up the good work!

Hotel Kilo... Out!

Thanks!  Report any issues here and I'll be sure to check back.

Kyle Rodgers

Here is a tip (also mentioned in the Introduction document):

Set cockpit tooltips on from the FSX display settings->Aircraft menu.

We have added tooltips on all controls that need some "special" handling that they will guide you to the correct use.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

And just for the record the NGX knobs are modeled incorrectly. They work the same as the 777 in the real plane.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Plus: once you get the hang of it, it is much faster than using the mouse-wheel.