Sign in to follow this  

Tooltips > Windowed mode > Vsync

I switched to DX10 but now I am missing the tooltips, which I need for my A2A C172. So I thought about switching to windowed mode. Will this hurt performance with DX10 or is this the same as with DX9 (depending on the system)? I also wondered if Steve's upcoming tool fixes tooltip...? Anyway, vsync doesn't work in windowed mode (I use Inspector 1/2 Vsyn etc.). The DX10 pdf doesn't say anything about fixing vsync in windowed mode (at least I didn't find it) so I wonder if I should add the vsync tweak to the cfg or not...

As it is now I have to choose between DX9 and tooltips and no VC shadows or DX10 and tooltips in windowed mode and no vsync... I like neither of the options so I hope 1. vsync in windowed mode can be solved and 2. that windowed mode won't hurt performance... or 3. Steve's tool will fix this too!

In your fsx.cfg, Jeroen:-

[GRAPHICS]
ForceWindowedVSync=1

And here's an app which will give you borderless Windowed Mode. I went looking, and this is one that came up. It has a huge list of games that are compatible, so I have no reason to suspect that it won't work for you. Get  back to us, as this is a bit of a thorn for some folks.

Here's the link to the Steam forum where I found it. Note I have not tried this,

Here's the readme:-

Adding a game's window.

Run the app and start up a game.
    Make sure you run the game in windowed mode before adding it to the app.
    After you have set your game to run windowed, click the app's tray icon and select "Add window"
    Go back to your game and while the game window is active press "F3"
    Your game should now be in windowed border-less mode, your settings are saved so the app will recognize your game whenever it runs in windowed mode again and automatically set it to be borderless.

Removing a game
    Click the app's tray icon and select "Open game settings"
    select the game and press Delete, this app no longer manages that games window style.

Setting a windows position
By default the borderless window is positioned at coordinates 0,0 on your screen, in the rare event that the game's window is an odd one you can edit the coordinates in the config file by changing the "PosX" and "PosY" values in the Game settings.
Attempting to re-size a window
By default the game doesn't re-size, but in case its necessary you can do so in the game settings, which can be found by clicking on the tray icon.

======================
This app was made and tested on Win7 pro x64 and is meant to work on Windows XP or higher. on both 32 and 64 bit.

I just re-read your post, Jeroen...

I am missing the tooltips, which I need for my A2A C172.

Nooooo, noooo, surely not??

This is a very brave statement for the DX10 forum, Jeroen. I would never admit to this re: a Cessna 172......

:friends: :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I know from our MS Flight period that Jeroen already has a borderless Windowed app. Can't remember the name though, I used it too in conjunction with PlanG.. Hmm my memory seems to fail me more often now I'm getting older..  :wacko:

I've never used it with FSX btw.

Ok, so I indeed have to force vsync using the cfg. I wonder if the Inspector 1/2 Vsync trick to get good and steady performance also works in windowed mode...? Probably not since I get tearing? 

@Mark: you remembered well so your memory isn't as bad as you think. I also never used it with FSX (and I even dont' have it on my PC anymore) but it actually is the method described in the DX10 pdf...! It involves AutoHotkey and a script you can download from Avsim. It's all in the DX10 pdf so I am surprised to see Paul coming up with yet another solution. ^_^ Don't really know which one is better (for performance)... I might try them both (if performance doesn't suck in windowed mode).

About me needing the tooltips...  :friends:Yeah, I know, it's not very realistic, but I got used to them in the Legacy. I like to set my gauges to the EXACT OBS for instance and without the tooltips you are always guessing what you set it at. But if windowed mode performs worse, I will have to get used to not using tooltips.

It's all about compromises.. I used to think that EZCA was the cat's meaow when it came to "realistic" bumps and vibrations, and it was in a good degree, but the agravation of setting cameras while using TrackIR at the same time was such a pain, and sometimes not wanting to be bounced around when flying IFR (trying to set a frequency on a com/nav receiver, etc., - meaning one has to edit the two manifest files and disable EZCA before loading the flight) - made me just not use it any more - and of course - now it's slowly being replaced by the likes of A2A's "Accu-Feel" and Pilot's "FS Global Real Weather". I guess this also means that Marniftarr has somwhat missed his window of opportunity (EZCA v2.0) by taking a year off.

Appologies for the thread highjack.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Pseudo full screen or something similar is the name of a utility in the Avsim library that removes the windowed borders. It works great. The force vsync entry in the cfg file doesn't work in windows 8 as far as I can tell, but that doesn't bother me.

.......The force vsync entry in the cfg file doesn't work in windows 8 as far as I can tell, but that doesn't bother me.

Hi,

how do you know?

Spirit

I tried both pseudo fullscreen options (AutoHotkey and the WindowedBorderlessGaming (WBG)).

1. I like AutoHotkey more because you can still switch from borderless to normal windowed mode, which can be handy. With WBG it's fullscreen or nothing.

2. AutoHotkey worked flawlessy all the time; you only have to install the program and then you simply double click on the FSX script: it will launch the program in the background (you won't see anything happen) and then you can simply toggle between windowed mode and borderless using Windows-F11. WBG adds the program to a simple database and you have to load the program before it does its work (obviously). However, I had odd things happen every now and then like the game NOT being run borderless fullscreen but borderless quarter of a screen...

3. Both options seemed to perform the same but both performed slightly worse than normal fullscreen...

4. Forcing vsync doesn't always work, at least not on my PC.

My personal conclusion is to stick with normal fullscreen mode. I will have to get used to not using the tooltips. The slight loss in performance and no vsync are real deal breakers for me!

Hi,

how do you know?

Spirit

It hasn't worked for me, or at least i haven't noticed any difference with the tweak enabled. It only woks in Win7 windowed mode if Aero is enabled, but Win8 doesn't have Aero per se. That might be it.