Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Winds uplink in the FMC

Hi Mike, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not sure this is the most feasible solution, because if I was to create a new filename, I would have to erase/replace the existing route in the FMC and that can throw things out of balance, having to redo the sids,stars,etc.   That is just my first thought on this workaround.  But I do see in the FMC legs page there is no option to load a specific file, it reads the filename created initially that is connected to the original route.

AJ,

There is no need to erase the existing route in the FMC, there's also a way to select a specific file. Obviously i didn't explain things very well, so here's another attempt. This is all with AS2012.

First I did what I you already know how to do. I loaded a flightplan named CYULEGLL1, and copied the winds to CYULEGLL1.wx. These winds were actually from a previous flight, which was only to make sure they were different than the current winds I'll be using in a bit. Then I went to the RTE DATA page and did a wind data request. In the first picture, those winds are currently loaded, and as you can see, it's showing me arriving in EGLL at 415z with 16.2K pounds of fuel remaining.

So from here, obviously you might want to update the winds at some point during the flight. First I copied the new winds from AS2012 to a new file named CYULEGLL3.wx. Then I entered the name of this new file into the scratchpad. Again looking at the first picture, you can see that I've done this. From here it operates just like it did before. Click the request button for wind data, then execute it. This loads the winds from the file that was named in the scratchpad (CYULEGLL3). The second picture is after I executed the wind data request on CYULEGLL3. You can see that the fuel lines on the RTE DATA page have changed slightly, and that the progress page is now showing me arriving in EGLL at 5 minutes earlier (410z v 415z), and with an extra 1.2K pounds of fuel (17.2 v 16.4). This is due to the new winds I just loaded into the FMC.

Hope this helps.

image.jpgz

image.jpg

That's cool! Thanks Mike!

Been using the updated version of Opus and having it export the PMDG data for the winds is very nice, no cut and paste to text file anymore!  :biggrin:

Jeff Hendershot
"Roger, Roger...What's Our Vector, Victor?"

As a long time Active Sky Evolution user on the fence about updating to AS2012, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the upgrade.  I can now say I wish I had done this earlier, the overcast cloud depiction is incredible!   I do hope Damian adds the functionality to this program to seamlessly export the wind data to the 777 FMC without user intervention.

Is anyone aware if this is in the works?

Mike, thanks so much for the detailed followup.  I'm sorry I didn't follow before, I was thinking that the new filename would have to be pasted into the scratchpad in the main RTE page, overwriting the original company route/requested route filename.   Your presentation makes perfect sense, and is a welcome relief as the new functionality PMDG has programmed is of little use if it can't be refreshed on a timely basis.

As a long time Active Sky Evolution user on the fence about updating to AS2012, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the upgrade.  I can now say I wish I had done this earlier, the overcast cloud depiction is incredible!   I do hope Damian adds the functionality to this program to seamlessly export the wind data to the 777 FMC without user intervention.

Is anyone aware if this is in the works?

Mike, thanks so much for the detailed followup.  I'm sorry I didn't follow before, I was thinking that the new filename would have to be pasted into the scratchpad in the main RTE page, overwriting the original company route/requested route filename.   Your presentation makes perfect sense, and is a welcome relief as the new functionality PMDG has programmed is of little use if it can't be refreshed on a timely basis.

In answer to your question regarding what's in the works: http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?1181-Feature-request-for-PMDG-777

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hello all ....anything tested for REX ??  sorry for jumping like that :)

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Nope.  The name just has to match the route [AirportICAO][AirportICAO].  It can match the COROUTE as well, but it really just needs the two airport codes.

Make sure the file in the folder is not KIADKLAX01.wx.txt.  That's hugely important.  If you have "hide known filetypes on, uncheck it to be sure.

No.  It needs the exact format as mentioned in the manual...

Thanks for sorting my problem out Kyle, I am now able enter winds even in mid flight. The problem I was I was saving my text file as ICAO1ICAO2.WX.TXT. When saving in notepad, you need to change the file type to all files not just txt, I had to use the pageup key top change it. Thanks ever so much, what a great feature

Ceri

Hello all ....anything tested for REX ?? sorry for jumping like that :)

A quick look into this on my part the other day did not lead to anything. I could not find the relevant data in the format needed for the PMDG 777 FMC.

Maybe somebody else with more experience out there who knows how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Martin Jancke

Flight Simulation & PMDG Enthusiast

IVAO Pilot (if time permits)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It keeps telling me invalid entry when I request wind data. Will this feature only work if I requested a company route? Can't I manually enter the route than request weather? I did all the steps, just didn't use the co route.

Mark Javornik

EDIT: My mistake, as Tony says below, no need to manually enter the name of the .wx file. Just entering the airports is enough to get the FMC to read the proper file if you have it named correctly. Wasn't thinking clearly.

With AS2012 you don't need a company route.

Copy the winds aloft data into windows note pad and save it ICAOICAO.wx DO NOT PUT O1 etc at the end of the ICAO. You save the data into the PMDG WX Folder within the FSX folder ( make sure when you save that you select " All File Types") . Start up your 777. In the FMC enter your ICAO's in to your ORIGN and DEST, enter your route/Legs, click RTE DATA, bottom left then Request Winds and that should do it.

I think where it's going wrong for people is adding a number ie 01 Etc when saving your wx file. For example EGKK-KMCO should be saved as EGKKMCO.wx

Hope that helps

Could you guys upload a specification or some working sets? I'd like to write an interpreter from SimBrief data, don't own AS2012 nor Opus though.

Peter,

There's a readme file in the FSX\PMDG\WX file that should have the information you're looking for.

Hello all ....anything tested for REX ??  sorry for jumping like that :)

REX does not give you the same type of data that ASE / AS2012 does. You will have to type the numbers in manually as indicated in the manual.

Make sure the file in the folder is not KIADKLAX01.wx.txt.  That's hugely important.  If you have "hide known filetypes on, uncheck it to be sure. 

Those of you still having problems, please be sure this is done as it solved my problem. This is an important step one cannot miss as it may be masked and you would never have known. Use the help function to find it within windows and type "hide known file types" then follow those instructions.

Why doesn't this feature work with forecast winds on the FORECAST page?