Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

777 freezing

Hi,

I also had freezes happening while in flight since i installed the T7. FSX frooze with sound running for 8-10 minutes and then continued as normal. Only fuel consumption went on during the freeze. It happened randomly but very annoying. Never had this with any other addon, including the NGX.

After weeks of troubleshooting every addon, I isolated the problem to be sound related. As soon as I disabled the prerecorded ATC chatter I use in my ATC app, all freezes where gone!

I suspect the real culprit to be the fact that i used the default audio driver from windows. I lookup up my exact sound chipset and installed the latest driver. Have been flying now without any freezes!

So don't rule out your soundcard when having similar issues! Also you can try this:

Windows Control Panel > Hardware and Sound >Sound

1. Select playback tab

2.Right click play back device (speakers)

3. Select properties > Advanced Tab

4.Make sure there are NO ticks in the exclusive mode box

5. Click apply

Good luck,

Remko v G

This seems to have fixed my freezes and helped with my FPS in addition, reduced the amount to time seeing skeleton skin -less aircraft when I changed views....   .... thanks,

Ray Vlasek

Those frustrated - get DX10 fixer. Then run sim in dx10 - watch your frame rates soar, no OOMs at all, even after multiple turn around flights, fsx been running now for 56 hours solid with flights inbetween and aircraft left sitting at gate, and not a single freeze. I have nice cockpit shadows.

The extremes expressed in this thread leave me just feeling uncertain about the aircraft. Everything else in my FSX setup runs like a dream, so I've basically back-burnered enjoyment of this until a patch comes out. Even if I can get it running reasonably reliably most of the time, the constant tension of an unanticipated freeze or hang after a long round of prep, flight planning, setup and flight..... just makes it of less interest to me.

I've had a lifetime of fighting with software glitches, I'm generally patient with them, but I have better, more satisfying things to do with my time than fight with them. I increasingly just move on and do something else if it turns into time wasting. Getting to a certain point with the 777 is fun, but trying to complete a flight is not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've not being able to land on IVAO yet!  I take off, and some point in the flight fsx just freezes. Really anoying when you have to explain to the controller why you're just hanging right in the middle of his glideslope. Does anyone know when a patch is going to be released???

I had the freezing issue immediately after purchasing the 777 - of the exact nature described above.  What made it worse is that upon installing the 777, everything else started freezing - without fail - on every flight too.  The NGX and 747 both did exactly the same thing.  Sadly, my PC never seems to recover from the freezes - it hangs until I hit CTRL/ALT/DELETE.  I have repeatedly tested different things to try and resolve it (some at the suggestion of PMDG support) - to no avail.  Despite googling to see if anyone else had similar issues, I had no luck finding anything - until yesterday when I found this thread.

Sadly, that was too late.  As FSX has been unusable in the past 9 weeks since buying the 777, I sought help from PMDG in late September.  I was advised it was a hardware issue.  I was recommended to replace my graphics card.  Quite apart from the 777 issues, my PC has been a disappointment, so I bit the bullet and, rather than just upgrading the graphics card, I have invested in a whole new custom build PC.  That was my choice, and I do not hold PMDG to account for that.  However, whilst I'll be pleased with it, and I anticipate a vast improvement in performance, the thread above confirms two things: (1) it never was a hardware issue; and (2) my custom build PC may not run it either.  Both of these are painful to deal with, as my pocket is still burning from purchasing a new PC.  Oh - and the 777 cost $90 too, so that hurts too!

However, the question is: what do I do with my new PC?  Install it and take the risk it will screw up everything else again, or leave it and return to the more stable and reliable NGX and 737 - notwithstanding I've waited all year to try out the 777?  It's certainly been a huge disappointment so far - so much expectation, and so far I can't get the thing to fly more than an hour.  As others on this thread have commented - yes, I dearly want to fly it.  But it just gets boring and deeply frustrating when you know no flight will ever survive (well, unless you do something like KJFK to KEWR, which is hardly the point of the 777-200LR...)

However, the question is: what do I do with my new PC? Install it and take the risk it will screw up everything else again, or leave it and return to the more stable and reliable NGX and

You use your new PC ofcourse and with the 777 :-)

However, do yourself a favour and create a windows install that results in a high performance environment for FSX.

1) if you can, buy a separate SSD to install Win7 and FSX on (about 250Gb should do but it depends on your addons)

This will be your dedicated FSX boot!

I have another Win7 install that I use for Internet/Email/movies/etc on a separate SSD.

So 2 totally independ Win7 installs!

(it is like having two PCs in one housing!)

2)

The best advice I can give you is to use this link for your install.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I know it is a lot of reading but if you dont want to have the same (or other) problems again.....!

I used it and have had no problem with any addon, not with the 777 either.

3) after all is installed, create a backup image of your SSD with Win7 and FSX. Uou can do this with Win7 build in backup software.

This way you have something to return to in case of problems!

4) Then you can start adding addons.

Ps, what PC components did you get?

Rob Robson

Those frustrated - get DX10 fixer. Then run sim in dx10 - watch your frame rates soar, no OOMs at all, even after multiple turn around flights, fsx been running now for 56 hours solid with flights inbetween and aircraft left sitting at gate, and not a single freeze. I have nice cockpit shadows.

No, DX10 does not perform better than DX9. If it does for you, then this means you haven't configured DX9 optimally. What many people don't know, is that you need different fsx.CFG settings for both. That's the reason you see so many different reports, some say DX10 is better than DX9, some say it's the exact opposite. You wanna run PoolSize=0 for DX9, and RejectThreshold=131072 (without PoolSize=) for DX10. Do that, and both will perform the same.

And... cockpit shadows? I thought they didn't work in PMDG aircraft?

No, DX10 does not perform better than DX9. If it does for you, then this means you haven't configured DX9 optimally. What many people don't know, is that you need different fsx.CFG settings for both. That's the reason you see so many different reports, some say DX10 is better than DX9, some say it's the exact opposite. You wanna run PoolSize=0 for DX9, and RejectThreshold=131072 (without PoolSize=) for DX10. Do that, and both will perform the same.

By nature of it being a more advanced feature set(even though unfinished) DX10 should give performance/visual enhancements - otherwise everyone might as well go fish out their commodore 64s

My DX9 was optimised perfectly with good smooth frames etc - I do have a different setting for dx9 and dx10 - However running the PMDG 777 in DX9 results in freezes, eventual OOM - Ive been DX9 for years, never bothering with DX10 as was perfectly happy(ish) with setup.

I hasten to add I run this across 3 22 inch monitors using eye infinity (so AMD card) and under DX10 - I left my FSX running for 15 days - did various flights each day, some over 10 hours - even when I was not flying I left FSX running day and night, flown online etc...and not a single OOM, freeze or crash - totally impossible in DX9 which would more than likely crash after a couple of flights.

Cockpit shadows.....Believe me I have them in the 777 thanks to the DX10 fixer! But as you pointed out about performance benefits of DX10, perhaps I imagine them also!

Rubbish. You have no idea what your talking about. My fsx cfg is the same as my previous DX9. Don't know how many flamin times I have told you. Your like a broken record.

The only difference is, I have bloom enabled and Dx10 selected. 

Please tell us if you have tested Dx10 with the fixer ?

Furthermore, you posted on Avsim some weeks back, that you had enough of FSX and you were going to walk away from it, And now you are an authority on DX10 ?

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Rubbish. You have no idea what your talking about. My fsx cfg is the same as my previous DX9. Don't know how many flamin times I have told you. Your like a broken record.

The only difference is, I have bloom enabled and Dx10 selected.

Please tell us if you have tested Dx10 with the fixer ?

Furthermore, you posted on Avsim some weeks back, that you had enough of FSX and you were going to walk away from it, And now you are an authority on DX10 ?

First, could we please treat eachother in a mature manner?

Second, I never said I was leaving FSX, not sure where you got that from. All I said was I would leave FSX if I would get the problems that others were reporting in that particular thread. You can call me a "broken record" (which I am not), but by the looks of it you are someone who reads half of someone's sentences or posts, and then just jumps to completely random conclusions. And your post proves just that. You come flaming at me how wrong I am because allegedly you have been running the same fsx.CFG settings in DX10 as in DX9. But didn't clearly state that your settings should be DIFFERENT? If you run PoolSize=0 then DX9 will perform better than DX10, remove this line and just set RejectThreshold=131072 then DX10 will perform better. So if you have always been running anything other than PoolSize=0, then of course DX10 will perform significantly better. I have been experimenting with both in DX10 fixer and these were the results and will be the same for similar systems. Instead of being such a @$$@@!#$# every single time, maybe you should try experimenting yourself. Please do, try both settings for both DX9 and DX10 and see yourself.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cockpit shadows.....Believe me I have them in the 777 thanks to the DX10 fixer!

Could you please show me a picture of that because that can't be true. I have my shadows working perfectly fine in the default planes and they look amazing, but they do not work in neither of the PMDG planes for me. And yes, I have the fixer.

Go to the fixer dir in windows explorer, run the DX10Toolbox.exe. With that tool you can enable cockpit shadows by selecting the T7 mdl file. The fixer tool makes a backup so you can return it to default. It is all in the manual.

Why I get p@#$$# off with you, is you never believe anyone. It is your way or the highway. Saying that shadows in the T7 can't be true is an example. A simple How do I do that is more like it. never mind anyway, we will just agree to dis agree.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Go to the fixer dir in windows explorer, run the DX10Toolbox.exe. With that tool you can enable cockpit shadows by selecting the T7 mdl file. The fixer tool makes a backup so you can return it to default. It is all in the manual.

Why I get p@#$$# off with you, is you never believe anyone. It is your way or the highway. Saying that shadows in the T7 can't be true is an example. A simple How do I do that is more like it. never mind anyway, we will just agree to dis agree.

I never believe anyone? I always believe everyone, that's how I got my knowledge about FSX in the first place. If someone says their DX10 performs better than DX9 I believe that's the results they are getting, but all I was telling him was why I think that is. Let's say I have never been running BP=0 and enabled DX10 then I would have said it performs much much better. But if I would then the difference would be negligible. See what I am getting at here? It's not about raw performance but rather about relativity to other things.

When I said "that can't be true" I meant nothing more than "I can't believe it" which obviously has got a sarcastic meaning, and you know that too damn well.

When I get onto these forums I often do that just to try and help others out. I mostly do that by PM and most of the times people get to solve their problems just by changing a little setting. I've playing FSX for four years and have been tweaking since three. So you can assume the things I say are not ###### but hased on lots of testing, troubleshooting and overall experience messing with FSX. If I say I get x result you don't believe me either do you? So why cone flaming at me about that?

Thanks for the info about the tool btw, I will try that next weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I realy do believe he did not mean to say that what you said is Bull S... but rather that he was surprises you got it working. (of course I dont know of any disputs you might have had in the past).

Having said that...one should realy read his/her reply before posting to make sure that also people whose native tongue is not English (not saying your is not) dont misinterpret things.

Rob Robson