Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Angle of Attack now charging subscription fees to download videos

Hmmm I was thinking of signing up for 737 groundwork but if you have to subscribe just to download what's the point?

I was going to watch them offline during my daily commute.

Since it took them a year after the 737's release to begin putting out anything on how to actually *fly* the 737, I learned from the many YouTube videos that were cranked out from day one.

I use Firefox with the Video DownloadHelper plugin to download local HD copies of YouTube videos and watch them offline. Simple and entirely for free.

AoA will choke on this one for sure. Bad business decision.

Dirk.

I use FlashGot and DownloadHelper in Firefox to download streaming vids.

Is this plugin available for chrome and will it work with the aoa stream?

AoA is now telling me I only have 7 days to download the videos I want. Sheesh.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

You guys may want to reconsider talking about the "free streaming downloads", as if you are downloading copyright content that is highly illegal.

AoA is literally run by a teenager, well he at least sounds like one so let him do as he pleases...he'll learn.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

You guys may want to reconsider talking about the "free streaming downloads", as if you are downloading copyright content that is highly illegal.

It's not illegal, we purchased the content in the first place. The problem is, we suddenly won't have access to local downloads of the lessons after one week, a feature we all paid for in the first place, unless we now ante up an additional subscription fee. Like $80 wasn't enough.

This is of course after most of us have been waiting...what...since sometime in 2011 for him to finish the 737 training we paid for?

That guy should be giving us free stuff for our patience, not taking away things we in fact paid for.

Goodness me this is a shambles, if what is being suggested is true.

That said, this is how Avsim works best, arming the potential purchaser with invaluable feedback. It should also act as a spur to AoA to get it sorted in favor of their existing customers.

It's not illegal, we purchased the content in the first place. The problem is, we suddenly won't have access to local downloads of the lessons after one week, a feature we all paid for in the first place, unless we now ante up an additional subscription fee. Like $80 wasn't enough.

This is of course after most of us have been waiting...what...since sometime in 2011 for him to finish the 737 training we paid for?

That guy should be giving us free stuff for our patience, not taking away things we in fact paid for.

Not knowing what subscription you purchased or what the Terms of Service use said in them at that time, it doesn't matter.  I'm also sure the Terms of Service said that the company can change policies at any point in time that they like.  Either way, it is still illegal.  Just because you feel you are entitled to something doesn't make it legal.  You are still getting the product you paid for - just not able to download them.

Not knowing what subscription you purchased or what the Terms of Service use said in them at that time, it doesn't matter.  I'm also sure the Terms of Service said that the company can change policies at any point in time that they like.  Either way, it is still illegal.  Just because you feel you are entitled to something doesn't make it legal.  You are still getting the product you paid for - just not able to download them.

If you're through playing the internet police, I'll repeat myself - we purchased the content. We have been allowed to download the lessons for the last 2 years. Now we have 7 days to download everything before they pull the plug and make you pay a subscription fee. Hence, at this moment, we can do whatever we like to obtain those videos. That includes either a straight download, a browser plugin, or whatever our little hearts desire. Clear? Deciding after the fact that you don't want to honor what you sold to people, especially for a fairly hefty fee, is bad business.

Regardless of your interpretation, we are entitled to precisely what we paid for.

Ridiculous --

This is the e-mail I just received:

Hello Members!

Since the launch of our new website, the biggest question has been, "Why are you charging for Downloads?" The answer is a bit complex, and to be 100% honest, it's something I wish we didn't have to do. However, for business reasons, we had to move this direction. 

I'm really sorry this has caused so much confusion. 

The biggest oversight I personally had when setting this up was I got so wrapped up in the launch of the PMDG 777 and the quick launch of our website, that I failed to notify you loyal customers of the new policy changes. For that, I apologize. It's 100% on my shoulders, and I want to make it right. 

So here is the plan that I have devised:

You can now sign up for ANY DOWNLOAD ADDON PACKAGE. All you have to do is use the coupon code xxxxxxxxxx at checkout, and you will get the downloads. 

Here are the restrictions:

• This coupon is only live for 2 Days
  • The Downloads will only be unlocked for 1 Week (7 Days) from the time you sign up
  • You can use the coupon on most download packages, for any product you have, even if you buy a new training during this time
  • This won't work on Aviator90 Downloads (The product itself is downloads)
  • AviatorPro has also been restricted because of the amount of content in that product

-

Wow Chris P, do you take us for idiots? To try and 'fix' the problem he is offering free downloads with a coupon that is only active for 2 days and only works for one week. 

Rubbish.

AoA is now in my fail books. I do not recommend you buy any content from this company. There is better material out there on youtube at a better price (free). 

Poor business decision for existing customers and to be honest that email I received from them was a bit of a joke, they got so wrapped up in the 777 release that they forgot to notify customers!

Gavin Price

Hah. http://support.flyaoamedia.com/customer/portal/articles/1291842-unlock-downloads-and-paying-for-downloads

From their website - "You'd be surprised to know that Angle of Attack has the largest products (in terms of file size) in all of flight simulation. If you think of your most popular scenery add-ons out there, you're going to get into the 10-15GB range. Our largest single product, for example is over 45GB with the 737 Captains Package. "

And you want me to download all of that in one week? I don't even have that much quota in one month.