Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

MSVCR80.dll - how to fix

Hi everyone,

I've had this CTD for the first time a very very long while ago. They only occured at FSDT sceneries and nowhere else. No matter what I tried, even using the help from Umberto from FSDT, I couldn't fix it and at the end of the day I got it fixed by reinstalling FSX.

So today I just installed the trial for CYVR and for the first time in a very long while, this crash occured to me. I searched a bit a Google this time, and found a very easy fix for this which you find on the bottom of this post. First I will tell you a bit about this file and what causes it to crash (please correct me if I'm wrong).

This MSVCR80.dll is related to the Microsoft Redistributable 2005 version and is in this case required for the Add-on manager, which is again required for FSDT sceneries to operate. By default, FSX installs this redistributable. However, if you have lots of add-ons such as sceneries, there is a chance that one of these installers will install a different version of this redistributable which screwing up the original version installed, rendering any add-ons using the Add-on Manager useless. Umberto from FSDT suggested me a few years ago - the last time this happened to me - to uninstall all redistributables, deleting all of its traces, and then reinstalling all of them. This however, never fixed it. Back then I tried everything, and eventually ended up reinstalling FSX fixing the problem. However, when this occured to me today once again, I found one simple fix.

How to fix

All you gotta do is simply uninstall SP2 of FSX, then reinstall it. But before you do that let me tell you the steps:

1. Go to Add/Remove programs and remove Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2. Don't worry, this will only remove service pack 2, not FSX itself.
2. Reboot.

3. Download and install FSX Service Pack 2.
4. Reboot.
5. Start FSX, and you shouldn't have this crash anymore.

Why? I'm not entirely sure, but I think the SP2 installer "magically" fixes this by installing the correct Microsoft Redistributable 2005.

What add-on causes it?

I can't be a 100% sure, but I installed some UK2000 scenery lately, while previously my FSDT stuff was working fine. I think this UK2000 scenery screwed up this redistrutable along with something else in FSX.

Good info Arjen.  Wonder if the same procedure applies for Acceleration users.  Everyone who has just Acceleration or SP2 installed, just need Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 w/SP1.  SP1 didn't make it with the release of SP2/Acceleration.  Here's a link to the latest -

Here's the latest - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26347. 

I have found that a lot of problems can be solved by uninstalling SP2 or Acceleration if you are having issues, running FSX without them then reinstalling SP2 or Acceleration.  Just remember SP2 and Acceleration will reinstall MSV C++2005 if it is NOT found on your system.  So you should be okay if you have the latest version of 2005 installed.  I think most of FSDT products require Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 w/SP1 but, again, it will be automatically installed if not found on your system.  I know the PMDG737 and probably the 777 are using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010.  The MSV's are used to make sure your product is installed as intended by the developer.  If you remove it, FSX will not start up.

Microsoft dotnet's are more important in that they are used by the developers to manage their product, including managing the memory (uiautomationcore.dll is one of the components).  You must have versions 2 thru the latest installed.  Just like Microsoft Visuals, Microsoft.net Framework packages are not backward compatible (for the most part).  If you just have the latest installed (which means you had to uninstall the old ones), FSX and FSX addons may function for a while but eventually you will have problems depending on the situation.  I know FTX/Orbx was using the dotnet 3.5 package.  Not sure what the other developers used but again, the proper package is installed with the addon developer's install program.

You should be aware that no addon or other program will overwrite a later version of MSV 2005, 2008, or 2010.  The installer will look for the proper version and, if it sees it, it will not be reinstalled.  Same goes with Microsoft.net packages.  It is impossible for an earlier version to overwrite a later version.  You can do some research on this by Googling "does an earlier version of Microsoft Visuals overwrite later versions" or "are Microsoft Visuals backward compatible".  I know I did a lot of research on them some time ago.  This is why I cringe when someone moves an FSX installation into a new installation of Windows and then runs that Flight One Registry fixer.  That would be okay if they also install MSV 2005, 2008, and 2010 and the various dotnet packages too.  Still, any addon requiring security for its product must be reinstalled in any case.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I used Arjens solution for this annoying problem and on the basis of a number of recent flights I would say that the procedure seems to work indeed. However, a word of caution for anyone who intends to use it: As reinstalling SP2 implies that a new (or rather an old) terrain.cfg file is being written, backup your terrain.cfg file (it is in the FSX root) before uninstalling/reinstalling SP2! Especially since nowadays the terrain.cfg can contain a lot of important info about e.g. ORBX and also UTX products, the backup will save you a huge amount of work.

Regards,

René