Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Anybody using OpenVFR? How's their stuff?

Wondering if anyone is using OpenVFR scenery and how it is.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have it for Bulgaria and it's fantastic! Finally was able to find my street within FSX! It provides detailed forests, rivers, lakes, industrial zones as well. Every tiny village is there too! Mountains (which i know very good from RL) now look as i'm used to see them!

Wondering if anyone is using OpenVFR scenery and how it is.

I have been keeping an eye on this...if this works  with photoscenery then it could compliment Megascenery V2. i.e. if they ever put out NA OpenVFR.

I see Orbx is trying to partner with them..Maybe PCAviator need to partner with them as well.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi,

I had tried this with XP10 but it seemed really buggy and the frames went in the toilet. Maybe it was just a poor implementation, although I followed the instructions to the letter. It would be nice to know if there is anyone here that has worked with it successfully.

Bob

- It looks cheap ("just a few bucks for an addon!") until you want to cover a reasonable amount of ground: then you will discover it is extremely expensive.

- There are various different addons: Terrain, Objects, Mesh, Autogen and Buildings. There is no combined addon. This makes covering everything with everything even more costly.

- The website tells you nothing you need to know. I still haven't been able to figure out if the above products offer actual NEW stuff (textures, buildings, autogen) or only takes care of the replacement of what you already have...

- HUGE disadvantage is that for instance the vector roads gives you everything or nothing which means you will get a LOT of roads in cities which pushes the autogen out of it. I've also seen pictures of rural area's where roads were struggling for space. It looked ugly and it obviously brings down performance.

- Not all products are available for every region.

My advice: don't get it and get FTX Global plus the upcoming FTXG OpenLC and FTXG Vector.

EDIT

Example of the prices: to cover all of Europe with OpenVFR Terrain (which afaik is landclass and vector data but I'm not even sure) will cost you 160 euro's. Add objects to it and it will cost 316 euro. Add mesh (only 75m!) and the total will be 367 euro. And to make it complete add Autogen (( noticed Buildings have been combined with Autogen) and it will cost you all 459 euro... And that's Europe only...!

I think you are way better of to get FTX Global (which is autogen plus textures, which is something OpenVFR doesn't offer) and FTXG OpenLC (landclass) plus FTXG Vector. Cheaper and a LOT better PLUS it covers the entire world (which OpenVFR doesn't even do).

OpenVFR is only interesting when you only want to upgrade one country and absolutely nothing more.

Yea, they rave about it over on the XP10 forum but I just could not see what was so exciting. The FTXG and upcoming LC's and Vectorized roads and coastlines is the way to go and sure it will remain the standard for some time to come. But maybe the capitalistic juices will begin to flow and who knows, maybe something even better will come along.

Bob

There are some older releases of OpenVFR vector data in the Avsim library. I believe for Germany,Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Check them out!

I have quite a few of their sceneries. J van E has the negatives pretty well covered. There are some advantages. Where it looks good it's very good. They also cover areas of the world not covered by other vector products. That's all coming to a screeching halt here when FTC vector global is released, so I'm not going to go all out recommending it. If you are only interested in a few countries, I would say to try it.

Jeroen sums it up nicely. I was glad seeing them offering a huge variety of countries, especially when it comes to places where FSX still thinks Dragons are flying or something. ^_^ But you might run into typical OSM related problems whereas there are too many streets, suppressing the autogen for example.

And the price when getting more detail and more countries surely isn't as pleasing as it might seem, at first. I've also missed an opportunity to receive cheaper updates. Perhaps they've changed the last point in the meantime. Means they should, to sort of please the returning customers. B)