Sign in to follow this  
boris4356

FS Global Real Weather and WideView

Third party Weather with Wideview has always been hit and miss for me performance wise. I have ASE, REX, and OpusFSX, and all of them are great programs in their own right! But it was FS Global Real Weather that would make the difference for me.

Wideview, in my experience, was smooth as long as I used FSX weather. This is what Wideview was originally designed for. As soon as I tried to run it with any third party weather engine, the problems started. I tried running it with Active Sky Evolution, Real Environment Extreme and FS Global Real Weather. These were all installed on a separate PC without FSX, networked to the Wideview setup. I also have the Wideview server PC only displaying gauges with no scenery views.

When the Wideview weather page on the server was set to "By Weather Interpolation", the weather on the client PC's updated a minute or more at times after the server, and stuttered with cloud shifts every couple of minutes. There was also extreme lagging. When the Wideview weather page on the server was set to "By Multiple Nearby Weather Stations" the stuttering was milder, but the weather would not update when the server updated. I had to continually force a manual weather update.

There is a setting in Wideview "Do not update clients weather via Wideview" that allows weather for the clients to bypass the Wideview server and be injected directly from the source. I tried to set up multiple simconnect cfg's to do this, but could not get it to work with ASE, REX or FSGRW.

I sent the developer of FS Global Real Weather, Bernd Podhradsky an email, and described my dillema. I asked him if it were possible to have FSGRW handle multiple networked PC's. He thought it was a good idea, and said he would look into it for a future update. Build #12 was later released with this capability. I installed the new build, but I could not get it to connect. Bernd suggested that he call me, and set up a TeamViewer session so he could have a look at my setup to see what the problem was. He then issued Build #14 the next day with all the bugs ironed out. The customer service that Bernd provided was second to none! He really went out of his way to get things working. He is very patient and a pleasure to speak with!

I checked the top box in the Wideview Weather interface "Do not update clients weather via Wideview" to disable the client weather interpolation through Wideview, and then set up FSGRW for multi PC's. I placed the Wideview server PC's IP address in the main upper box of the FSGRW network settings, and used the provided default port. The client PC's IP addresses go in the bottom box, and use the same default port. You install the FSGRW network bridge on each client including the Wideview server. The weather injects into the Wideview server at the same time as the clients with this setting, so the physical effects of the weather are still felt on the airframe.

This has really revolutionized my cockpit simming experience! I finally have smooth consistant weather updates in a Wideview setup without stuttering or cloud popups. I can see the weather develop gradually around me, and it doesn't disappear before I get to it. The way FSGRW handles the weather just feels right, and looks like what I see out my window at home. I like their use of more stratus clouds versus cumulous when the forecast calls for it. They go for realism not style. There is a setting that you can adjust though, if you wish to see large puffy cottonballs all the time.

There is however an issue with haze appearing and disappearing instantly. This is a well known bug in FSX, and Bernd is trying to find a solution. There is also the white flashes issue with simconnect. There is a setting in FSGRW that will help with this, but you have to give up the clouds moving with the wind. I don't use it, and find that the flashes are not that frequent.

I have not experienced any violent wind shifts, and the upper level temps and pressures are stable with no wild swings. I also like the way it handles turbulance and wind movement. It really makes landings a challenge! Throw in the local weather effects, and you have a real magic carpet ride! The swaying, bouncing, and rocking effects of the turbulance on the airframe look good in a multi monitor setup with 2D full screen windows without a VC displayed, and they feel natural.

The user interface is simple, and easy to use. The current weather info is very detailed, and you can also get the weather for any ICAO you desire on route. There is also a nice flight planner.

If you are using Wideview, and have experienced some of the same issues that I have, I highly suggest that you get FS Global Real Weather. It will make a huge difference in the quality of your simming experience!

Bill

Thats good to hear Bill, will consider FSGRW with wideview if OPUS doesn't work out too well. 

Hopefully I can get my 2x 1080p projectors to test it out soon :)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Hello, i'm very intersting about FSglobal real weather, but i need informations first.This is my configuration:
- 1 pc fsx wideview server (scennery only)
- 4 pc fsx wideview clients (scennery only)
- 1 pc running gauges ( i use ifly cockpit builder)

I have read many posts that fsgrw work fine using network bridge without using wideview weather.
My questions are:
- where install fs global real weather (regarding my configuration)?
- where install the network bridge?
- do i install fsuipc on each client? (fsx wideview clients)
- What do i check in wideview weather to use only fsgrw?
- are all pc (server & clients) must have an internet connection?

Hope that help me with this questions.

Best regards

Ryadh

Hi Ryadh,

I have a separate PC that FS Global Real Weather is installed on, and I have the network bridges installed on all the other PC's. In your setup I would guess that you could install it on your PC that is running the gauges.

On the Wideview server PC, check the top box in the Wideview Weather interface "Do not update clients weather via Wideview" to disable the client weather interpolation through Wideview,

In the network settings tab of FS Global Real Weather on your gauge PC,  set it up for multi PC's. Place the Wideview server PC's IP address in the main upper box of the FSGRW network settings, and use the provided default port. The client PC's IP addresses go in the bottom box, and use the same provided default port.

You install the FSGRW network bridge on the rest of the PC's, including the Wideview server. I think all PC's have to have a copy of FSUIPC(free copy or paid) and be networked to the PC that FSGRW is installed on.

I am not sure if all PC's need an internet connection, or just the one that FSGRW is installed on

Hope this helps!

Bill

Exactly what I have been looking for! Thank you Boris4356 for taking the time to work with FSG and getting around the wideview weather situation- you are a life saver, have tried them all! Opus,Rex,AS2012,ASN with WidevieW,  Just downloaded FSGRW - looking forward to trying it - 

Cheers

DustBeats

SIM: X-Plane 11r2

180 degree view- 3 x 55" scenery Monitors -

Multi-pc Network_Each PC connected to Master VIA CAT6e crossover cables on dedicated PCIe Network Adapter....HARDWARE: various Desktop Aviator and Aurduino Boards / GekoSystems Motion Chair / SigtronicS-18 AviationHeadset / SpeechmaticUSBAdapter / GoFlight / FlightIllusion ForceFeedbackYokew/PFC Beech Control Wheel

IMG_2777.jpg?dl=0

Exactly what I have been looking for! Thank you Boris4356 for taking the time to work with FSG and getting around the wideview weather situation- you are a life saver, have tried them all! Opus,Rex,AS2012,ASN with WidevieW,  Just downloaded FSGRW - looking forward to trying it - 

Cheers

DustBeats

Your welcome DustBeats!

Bill

Except..;) im having trouble getting remote pc with fsgrw to send to server pc via the network bridge for P3Dv2.1. Think I read that 2.1 support is due out soon. When I test the network connection Fsuipc connects successfully but I keep getting simconnect failure to connect to simulator. Could I be missing something?

* Fsgrw installed on laptop

* network bridge installed on server

* network setup for file sharing.. (opus works fine)

* correct server address input on fsgrw

* correct sim selected during data transfer

* both sim and network bridge are running on server during network test

* scratching head

Thanks,

Dust

SIM: X-Plane 11r2

180 degree view- 3 x 55" scenery Monitors -

Multi-pc Network_Each PC connected to Master VIA CAT6e crossover cables on dedicated PCIe Network Adapter....HARDWARE: various Desktop Aviator and Aurduino Boards / GekoSystems Motion Chair / SigtronicS-18 AviationHeadset / SpeechmaticUSBAdapter / GoFlight / FlightIllusion ForceFeedbackYokew/PFC Beech Control Wheel

IMG_2777.jpg?dl=0

Except..;) im having trouble getting remote pc with fsgrw to send to server pc via the network bridge for P3Dv2.1. Think I read that 2.1 support is due out soon. When I test the network connection Fsuipc connects successfully but I keep getting simconnect failure to connect to simulator. Could I be missing something?

* Fsgrw installed on laptop

* network bridge installed on server

* network setup for file sharing.. (opus works fine)

* correct server address input on fsgrw

* correct sim selected during data transfer

* both sim and network bridge are running on server during network test

* scratching head

Thanks,

Dust

Hi Dust,

I don't have P3D, but as far as I know the current version of FSGRW will not work with v2.

I think the P3D v2 compatible version is due out very soon.

Bill

The P3D2.1 version should be released within the next 24 hours, as per their Facebook. Page.

Sent from my Mobile thing

FSGRW was working fine with my WideView setup until I updated to Build#29.  

FSGRW downloads weather as usual but then cannot transfer into FSX or P3D....I get a message that FSGRW cannot connect to FSX/P3D.

At first I thought it perhaps was a corruption of my FSX installation so I embarked on a complete rebuild.....all new visual computers and conversion to P3D.  But now the same exact thing happens with P3D.  

The FSGRW network check facility always indicates all is OK with communications...FSUIPC and SimConnect.

I have found that a new installation of FSGRW will always work on the first weather download, but then fails on the next download even on the same flight when set up as dynamic weather.

Again, all was working perfectly prior to Build#29.  

Any ideas on this?

Fred K

Version 29 working fine with FSX and Wideview here.

Some time ago, it became necessary to update the Network bridge, which version do you have there ? Mine shows a date of 21-08-14 and according to the log, its version 25.

Erhard

I9 11900k RTX 3080 TI 3 x 55" LED TV 4K, 2 more PCs for displays and hardware connection Prosim A320