Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

New "revolutionary" version of Active Sky coming

While it is true that the engine has not changed, LM has included a much more powerful SDK from what I understand

Not for weather, at least not yet. Only the graphics have changed as stated previously. The weather API is identical at present to FSX and ESP.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

The pre-release Q/A section notes from HiFi say that the new version won't include generation of graphics for the weather but that one can continue to use AS2012 for that. I wonder if that will create a conflict of ambiguity with 2 separate parallel weather engines.... 

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

The pre-release Q/A section notes from HiFi say that the new version won't include generation of graphics for the weather but that one can continue to use AS2012 for that. I wonder if that will create a conflict of ambiguity with 2 separate parallel weather engines.... 

You just run AS2012, install the textures you want, then close it and open ASN to let it inject the weather. You dont run them both at the same time.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

LM will allow developers to "hook" into the program and bypass the engine.

That's what ASN does with FSX.

It's important to remember, this is not AS2012,  or ASE.  Forget how current weather programs do weather.  ASN is a different beast.

ASN handles weather in a whole new way by breaking into FSX. It uses a combination of Simconnect and hooks to manipulate the weather. There is no more "depiction modes", meaning there is no Direct Weather Control, Standard Depiction, or Smooth Cloud modes like in AS2012.

DWC was Global weather and caused wind problems at destination.

Cloud control caused winds aloft problems.

Standard Depiction caused the sky to flash and stutters in FSX.

None of these exist in ASN, and transitions are smooth.

Winds aloft are accurate according to the downloaded data, and they are smooth...no more jerking around, no more "S-Turns".

Each station has it's own weather.

Weather is injected using METAR data and also from International SIGMETS...If there are to be CBs over the Pacific from Hawaii to Fiji, you'll have CBs within the SIGMET zone (no more blank weather over the oceans).

Accurate radar....it rains when you move into the rain echo...it stops when you leave it.

Rain changes intensity...no longer will you sit at an airport and the rain is steady for an hour...it will actually intensify or wane or stop altogether as the clouds pass over you.

We've had a few beta members who were users of other weather programs...they haven't looked back! smile.gif

As for P3D, there will be no ASN for P3Dv1x, and the FSX version does not work well with it due to the way ASN interacts with the sim (program hooking). 

The P3Dv2 version is in the Beta stage.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

As for P3D, there will be no ASN for P3Dv1x, and the FSX version does not work well with it due to the way ASN interacts with the sim (program hooking). 

We're actually considering v1.4 support, but this is yet undecided.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks for the list of improvements Devin, as it helped answer some remaining questions I had.  I was curious about how ASN can live up to it's claims, as it would need to bypass the FSX code entirely and inject it's own interpretation of the weather, and until now I didn't see any information specific about it's ability to "hook" into the sim.  I have always dreamed that some enterprising developer would just break through the FSX code and do it's thing, and circumvent the "FSX limitations" roadblock that has been a drag on addon developers.  I knew this kind of project was possible, but I had resigned myself to giving up on the prospect for two reasons, the market is too small and it's a costly endeavor.   If only a similar product could "rewrite" the ATC and AI in FSX/P3D.   I have a long list of suggestions for making AI more realistic, but I can only dream that anything will be done to address that aspect of the sim.

I am so happy that Damian and his crew have taken on the risk, because if ASN lives up to expectations, they could surely become the second most valuable addon developer behind PMDG!

This is a no brainer buy. Stinks I can't get it and use it till the 11th but nevertheless looking forward to install it. FSGRW will be deleted at the same time. Opus as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Eric 

.... I have always dreamed that some enterprising developer would just break through the FSX code and do it's thing, and circumvent the "FSX limitations" roadblock that has been a drag on addon developers. ........

+1

Now all we need is a developer doing some bypassing like this for an ATC addon.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

You just run AS2012, install the textures you want, then close it and open ASN to let it inject the weather. You don't run them both at the same time.

I have some questions. I now understand that one would have to run AS2012 first before loading ASN, in order to get "graphics for the weather" (whatever that means). Then close AS2012 and load ASN (new tool to inject weather). Here are some questions:

(1) At what point one starts FSX? before AS2012? (I believe I read instructions saying that you should load AS2012 first and then FSX).

(2) Do the "graphics for weather" generated by AS2012 go in some folders to be used by FSX before AS2012 closes? If that is the case those would be static graphics.

(3) I suppose then that one needs to upload the Flight plan first into AS2012 (so that the right "weather graphs" come out from it) and then again into ASN (so that the right Real time weather come out). And if one diverts the flight then what? kill ASN, open AS2012, load the new FP, then close AS2012, open ASN and load again the new FP?

I hope that because of my ignorance I may well be over-stating the issue; it just seems a bit unfriendly.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

I don't believe that you have to run AS2012 graphics - you could use anything you want. I'll be sticking with FEX. It's just that if you're used to using AS2012 for this purpose then you can carry on doing so. Many don't because they prefer REX, FEX or any other ...EX that takes yer fancy.

Andy

I have some questions. I now understand that one would have to run AS2012 first before loading ASN, in order to get "graphics for the weather" (whatever that means). Then close AS2012 and load ASN (new tool to inject weather). Here are some questions:

(1) At what point one starts FSX? before AS2012? (I believe I read instructions saying that you should load AS2012 first and then FSX).

(2) Do the "graphics for weather" generated by AS2012 go in some folders to be used by FSX before AS2012 closes? If that is the case those would be static graphics.

(3) I suppose then that one needs to upload the Flight plan first into AS2012 (so that the right "weather graphs" come out from it) and then again into ASN (so that the right Real time weather come out). And if one diverts the flight then what? kill ASN, open AS2012, load the new FP, then close AS2012, open ASN and load again the new FP?

I hope that because of my ignorance I may well be over-stating the issue; it just seems a bit unfriendly.

1. To use ASN, you don't need AS2012 at all. The only thing you'd use AS2012 for is to have the cloud graphics installed into FSX before you start FSX. AS2012 is just an example. You can use any cloud set graphic you want, as long as you install them into FSX before you start it. It's not a weather engine limitation...it's an FSX limitation.

2. All the "graphic for weather" generated by AS2012 does is choose what it thinks is the most appropriate cloud sets for the weather you are flying into according to a flight plan you give it. It sends those cloud sets to FSX, and that's all FSX uses. Once AS2012 puts the cloud into FSX, it is static.

There is no way in FSX to change the cloud sets on the fly.

3. ASN (or any weather engine out there) doesn't know what cloud set you are using in FSX. FSX has all the cloud sets you need. ASN only calls up the appropriate cloud when needed. Once you start FSX, the cloud set that is there when you start it is there until you shut down FSX and change the cloud set manually, or with a weather engine that has the ability to change those cloud sets, like A2012. ASN will depict the weather no matter where you are or where you divert according to the stations METAR...it doesn't care.

ASN is a start and forget program with a few tools. You can be a Sunday flier who only wants to fly and have the weather thrown into FSX. Or, you can be the OCD user who needs everything perfect and all the bells and whistles. ASN caters to both...you can use as much or as little of the tools you want, but ASN will just sit quietly injecting the weather into FSX either way. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

A question after reading the last post...

Is necessary to load the texture set in REX before every flight? I always think no. It's correct?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S con Tapatalk

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

A question after reading the last post...

Is necessary to load the texture set in REX before every flight? I always think no. It's correct?

No.

FSX by default comes with cloud textures. All AS2012, REX, FEX, etc does is REPLACE these textures with another set. If you like the set you have, then just start FSX normally...don't go change the texture set.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

No.

FSX by default comes with cloud textures. All AS2012, REX, FEX, etc does is REPLACE these textures with another set. If you like the set you have, then just start FSX normally...don't go change the texture set.

Ok just how I always do...

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

The P3Dv2 version is in the Beta stage.

Is there big advantages or differences that ASN was able to use in p3dV2 that could not be used with FSX?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png