Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

What is this Resettable Wailer?

Since it seems just about everyone is having trouble with this concept, I figured I'd make a post to describe it to you (even though I'm pretty sure I'm repeating most of what's already written in the manual, which you all know drives me up the proverbial wall).

Okay, so, here goes:

Resettable Wailer is a operator option that allows you to shut the wailer up if it goes off...

...without clearing the issue causing the alarm.

It's essentially like your gear warning in many aircraft.  At a certain throttle position, or flap position, a warning goes off to remind you to not ruin an airplane by forgetting the gear.  In many aircraft, you can override this sound in cases where the warning is going off, but you need to leave the gear up a little longer.  By pressing that, you have cancelled the alarm without satisfying what the alarm is attempting to get you to do, which is to lower the gear.

Same goes for the Resettable Wailer:

Resettable Wailer - NO:

[1. Situation to Cause Alarm]

[2. Alarm Sounds]

[3. Has the Situation Been Resolved?]

--- YES [stop Sounding]

--- NO [Return to 3.]

Resettable Wailer - YES:

[1. Situation to Cause Alarm]

[2. Alarm Sounds]

[3. Has the Situation Been Resolved?]

--- YES [stop Sounding]

--- NO [Continue]

[4. Has the Attention Getter Been Pressed?]

--- YES [shut Up]

--- NO [Return to 3.]

What does this setting mean to resolving your AP Disconnect issues?

It's related, but not the cause.  Changing this setting will only put a bandage over the real issue:

1. You're not turning the AP off correctly (see the intro manual)
  2. There's an actual problem with something in the background where the wailer is not turning off (again, unrelated to the resettable wailer option).

Resettable Wailer is not your solution to your AP Disco problems.

Kyle Rodgers

I have to wonder why this is a customer option.  Aural warnings that can't be reset are a major nuisance.  Not resetting the master warning light is understandable but cancelling the wailer so you can actually think about clearing the problem seems an obvious and necessary thing to be able to do.  The only non resettable aural warning I know of on older Boeings is the gear warning horn with landing flap set.

ki9cAAb.jpg

We will be sure to go through our initial type training before asking questions on these forums. We wouldn't want to drive you up the wall or anything....

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

We will be sure to go through our initial type training before asking questions on these forums. We wouldn't want to drive you up the wall or anything....

When type training only requires you to go through a 160 page intro manual, then you can get huffy. Until then, you can check the lazy passive aggression at the door.

I have to wonder why this is a customer option. Aural warnings that can't be reset are a major nuisance. Not resetting the master warning light is understandable but cancelling the wailer so you can actually think about clearing the problem seems an obvious and necessary thing to be able to do. The only non resettable aural warning I know of on older Boeings is the gear warning horn with landing flap set.

Yeah. It doesn't make sense to me. If something's going on that's severe, I want my crew undistracted and on task. The wailer continuing on would just add stress in my opinion.

Kyle Rodgers

When type training only requires you to go through a 160 page intro manual, then you can get huffy. Until then, you can check the lazy passive aggression at the door.

Oh I'm sorry, did I hit a sore spot? I never knew flightsim could make someone so callous. But what do I know....I only see what's on the forums.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Hear Hear!!!

Jimmy Nestor

That was quite uncalled for. The reason we write such a detailed Intro and Tutorial and license the real manuals from Boeing is precisely so people have all the information available and don't have to come onto the forum reporting "bugs" that are just the result of them not understanding the aircraft. The Resettable Siren/Wailer thing has been one of the most commonly reported things since we released because people aren't bothering to open those manuals before coming to complain here or in a ticket.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Oh I'm sorry, did I hit a sore spot? I

Don't  think you did , Kyle is most annoyed at is that all the answer to 90 % of  the so called bugs  and issues  are answered in the introduction and if  not  there in the fcoms  doesn't  take much time in searching  for  your  answers.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The Resettable Siren/Wailer thing has been one of the most commonly reported things since we released because people aren't bothering to open those manuals before coming to complain here or in a ticket.

What about those of us who don't have the time or care to pour through thousands of pages of a manual to find the answer to one simple subject. I believe its wiser to ask a simple question on a forum first before reporting a bug. There will always be those librarians that have a need to study manual then there are those of us who have never even opened a manual and been flying the aircraft since it's release with zero problems. If I cant figure it out after a few flights. i have a learning disorder. Its not like, to the disappointment of some, are real world aviators. OJT. Simism.

What about those of us who don't have the time or care to pour through thousands of pages of a manual

I think there is  a search option that one  could  use

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Oh I'm sorry, did I hit a sore spot? I never knew flightsim could make someone so callous. But what do I know....I only see what's on the forums.

hah - no.  Plus, callous is a bit of a dramatic overstatement.  I might be callous towards those who don't read the manual and talk negatively of anyone who encourages it, but that's only because it seems they feel entitled to waste everyone else's time because they're too lazy to read.

I mean, really...there's a summarized intro manual that hits all the highlights you're going to need.

Nah...too much...

What about those of us who don't have the time or care to pour through thousands of pages of a manual to find the answer to one simple subject.

1 6 0

...in a PDF.

...which is searchable.

People are so lazy that they won't bother to read - or even easier, search - a 160 page manual for a study sim, but they'll come here and tap out posts that rival some of mine in length to ask a question, only to sit and wait for an answer to be spoon fed to them.

Key strokes to answer the PILOT RESPONSE question yourself:

CTRL+F (2)

"pilot response" (14)

ENTER (1)

Total: 17

Total time: ~ 5 min

[Extra benefit: you probably glanced at some of the other features in there while researching your answer]

Key strokes to ask the resettable wailer question on the forum:

I see this "Pilot Response" come on screen sometimes in long cruises and I believe my action is to press the warning button (or a FMC button works too).

Is this like the safety feature in modern trains?  To keep the attention of the pilot from sleeping?  I did not know this feature was in any aircraft!

It is another interesting and amazing feature created by PMDG.    Just out of interest though - in case I need to leave the PC - can this be turned off?

I did not see it in the FMC settings, by maybe I missed it?    Maybe it has a different name in settings?

(Actual post of someone on the forum - name removed)

Title: "Pilot Response" (14)

Text: (562)

Total: 576

Total Time: ~ 27 min (~ 6 min of typing at 19 WPM [composition average] + 20 minutes before the first post answering the question was posted)

[Extra Benefit: you probably got a couple sarcastic posts for not reading even the basics...]

People always complain that it's "so much work" to go teach something to yourself over coming to the forums, when it really isn't.

Don't  think you did , Kyle is most annoyed at is that all the answer to 90 % of  the so called bugs  and issues  are answered in the introduction and if  not  there in the fcoms  doesn't  take much time in searching  for  your  answers.

Bingo.

Kyle Rodgers

I have to wonder why this is a customer option.  Aural warnings that can't be reset are a major nuisance.  Not resetting the master warning light is understandable but cancelling the wailer so you can actually think about clearing the problem seems an obvious and necessary thing to be able to do.

I agree, this non-resettable wailer is a very bizarre customer option. I mean once you engage the autopilot there's no proper way to switch it off without the non-resettable wailer constantly going off, so in order to avoid the wailer you're sort of forced to do autolands which cannot be legally done on Cat 1 ILS available in most airports.

The only non resettable aural warning I know of on older Boeings is the gear warning horn with landing flap set.

For the 737 there's a gear horn silence switch on the throttle quadrant, somewhere between the throttle levers and the start levers. It becomes un-resettable only when the aircraft descends below a certain radio altitude. The system (along with the GPWS system and its "Too low gear" warnings) can be silenced completely by pulling a circuit breaker in case of a malfunction or during a "gear unsafe" landing. Other sirens, such as the takeoff configuration warning, can also be silenced this way, and I remember there was a DC-9 crash many years ago when the pilots pulled the Takeoff config warning CB and subsequently forgot to set flaps for takeoff.

I mean once you engage the autopilot there's no proper way to switch it off without the non-resettable wailer constantly going off

That's not correct, you use the AP Disconnect button on the Yoke (mapped to a joystick button), or right click the TOGA screw click spot on the MCP, wait 2 seconds, then click again. Voila, silence

Steve Caffey

That's not correct, you use the AP Disconnect button on the Yoke (mapped to a joystick button), or right click the TOGA screw click spot on the MCP, wait 2 seconds, then click again. Voila, silence

OK, last time I tried flying with the non-resettable wailer I pressed the yoke switch many times and it didn't shut up. I'll try it again later.