Sign in to follow this  
FlyVFR

Can PMDG work with HiFi to bring us a working weather radar?

Hifi announced their next project called Active Sky Next. 

They are promising very big things that have never been done before.

If it's all true all I can say is I'm amazed.

This was one of the statements that stood out to me.

Now that we know where the clouds are, we decided to make a detailed accurate NEXRAD radar precipitation overlay for both the Map and the included radar gauge. Real radar simulation.. not generic station-based imagery. You see the cloud, you see the rain cell, and when you enter it, it's all synchronized. Thread the needle between cells. Realistic avoidance procedures. This overlay data is also coming soon to aircraft NDs as we are working on an interface of our radar data to aircraft developers.

I hope this is something PMDG can consider doing.

I know they do not like to offer features that require other purchases from other developers but myself and I'm sure other Active Sky users would be willing to pay for the integration. 

Can this be done though the SDK?

Thanks,

Chuck

Here's the link to the announcement.

http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?1147-The-next-version-of-Active-Sky&p=5407&viewfull=1#post5407

Chuck Biggins

disregard

Why? After reading, I now believe you can make a weather radar that now shows something in the simulator.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Why? After reading, I now believe you can make a weather radar that now shows something in the simulator.

I meant my post, not the OPs :blush:

Well this is a fresh start for further debate I'd say.

spacer.png

Well this is a fresh start for further debate I'd say.

Exactly my thoughts while reading. It seems Hifi has restarted it. Well. we'll see.

Now that we know where the clouds are, we decided to make a detailed accurate NEXRAD radar precipitation overlay for both the Map and the included radar gauge. 

Now that we know where the clouds are,

BetaTeamD.png

They won't do it, probably to much work and why would they put a WX radar into say the NGX it's not like more people will buy it because of that. They'll probably just say " well maybe in a future SP".....just like the BBJ or the 900ER which we'll probably never see.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I think the correct thing to do is to wait to see what ASN actually offers. And then from there, wait to see how/if PMDG decides to work with it. It may still not be possible to the extent that PMDG would see as warranting further development/implementation. 

Speculation has a nasty way of turning into expectation. Which in turn, creates havoc on the forums. 

I think it's best to just wait and see.

They've been working on this little thing called the 777, Ron. Not sure you've heard of it, though.

Anyway, just knowing where clouds are won't be enough. To get a realistic weather radar, you need to have a reliable idea of where precipitation is.

If they can provide that, I don't see why PMDG wouldn't be interested, and so would I.

An important point to make about the PMDG products is that I believe PMDG has coded them in a way that they can "push" elements into the entire fleet (NGX, 777). They have said that multiplayer is coming along with an EFB. This makes me thing that IF they were to do a weather radar, it could be pushed to both the NGX and 777 with little changes in code.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I might be wrong but wasn't Damian part of PMDG a long time ago? I understand PMDG position in terms of weather radar, and their efforts for accuracy, but this sounds like a promising bit of information. I hope this can be integrated into their products, but only time will tell... let's see what happens.

Regards

John.

Whatever the case and regardless of what PMDG does, ASN certainly sounds enchanting... (reading Damian's full post).

They've been working on this little thing called the 777, Ron. Not sure you've heard of it, though.

Anyway, just knowing where clouds are won't be enough. To get a realistic weather radar, you need to have a reliable idea of where precipitation is.

If they can provide that, I don't see why PMDG wouldn't be interested, and so would I.

We directly control and determine ambient precipitation, so yes it's on our hands now. You just have to wait and see for yourself after release.

Kostas Terzides

Active Sky Next developer

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Would just the SDK be enough to simulate the weather radar, or would more cooperation with PMDG be required?

We directly control and determine ambient precipitation, so yes it's on our hands now. You just have to wait and see for yourself after release.

Kostas Terzides

Active Sky Next developer

I've been so curious to ask one of you folks. Have you solved the problem with precipitation when flying above the cloud layer?

BetaTeamD.png