Sign in to follow this  
FlyVFR

Can PMDG work with HiFi to bring us a working weather radar?

Guys,

There is no product we have seen yet - all of this speculation is completely meaningless until we see what the product actually is and what its capabilities are.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guys,

There is no product we have seen yet - all of this speculation is completely meaningless until we see what the product actually is and what its capabilities are.

True....   But IF this product is able to allow for a realistic WR I hope there would be a option for those that have ASN  to make use of it. I would hate to see top notch products like yours not come with it just because other Weather add-on's do not have this capability..

Maybe a functioning WXR for ASN owners and a  non functioning one for owners of other weather programs. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

By learning the technology ASN uses to detect cloud position is essential, and if Hifi did pull it off correctly, I think a WXR is the next step for the NGX/777 and beyond. It's a feature we know we all wish worked, even if we didn't think it was possible. I think Hifi has opened the door to this technology.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

By learning the technology ASN uses to detect cloud position is essential, and if Hifi did pull it off correctly, I think a WXR is the next step for the NGX/777 and beyond. It's a feature we know we all wish worked, even if we didn't think it was possible. I think Hifi has opened the door to this technology.

Bascially they know the cloud position because they are the ones that put it there, at least if I understand correctly.

Tell me the next update of the NGX will come with a weather radar in the ND?

No

Just, No

No

Just, No

Do we know when PMDG is releasing SP2 for NGX? No.

Do we know if some new groundbreaking WXR product is or isn't actually going to be what we expect at the time of its release? No.

Do we know if PMDG will accept the new product and add it to next add-ons somehow? No.

The truth is, you. don't. know.

It's a can of worms all the way. People can't accept current WXR's as they are "ridiculous and unrealistic" but they want features like pause at TOD or when an emergency triggers, and other stuff but anyway, let's don't go there again or the Kraken will be released by some guys here who think they should've created FSX of something.

Not MD11, Probably NGX and 777 (& 747v2)

On the Nav display, in a similar way to the Majestic Q400.

You'd then run Terrain on ND on one side (First officer ND for instance) and Weather on the other side ND. Swapping between WX and TERR would be just a button press and waiting for the WX to populate with the next 'radar sweep'.

Now if only they could stop it raining 5000ft above the clouds with nothing but blue skies above....

And put it in the JS4100, (yes I know, dreamin')

Well, it's certainly a nice dream... and you never know when it'll stop being a dream  :rolleyes:

The more realistic option (IMO) would be for PMDG to allow active-sky to inject weather radar data into the ND. That way people that buy ASN will have weather radar, without PMDG having to work out some kind of bundling deal. I.e. to use the FS2Crew business model.

Of course I don't know if the current SDK would allow for something like that. I can imagine that at the very least PMDG might have to code the WXR control buttons, which would be extra effort that they might not consider to be worth it.

The more realistic option (IMO) would be for PMDG to allow active-sky to inject weather radar data into the ND. That way people that buy ASN will have weather radar, without PMDG having to work out some kind of bundling deal. I.e. to use the FS2Crew business model.

It's just not that simple.

Of course I don't know if the current SDK would allow for something like that. I can imagine that at the very least PMDG might have to code the WXR control buttons, which would be extra effort that they might not consider to be worth it.

Yeah... that's a pretty huge oversimplification of the work involved lol.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Wow... After 1000 topics about this subject and 10 years waiting, it`s the first time I read something that is not like "this can't be done" or "this is useless"... So, let's wait for Active Sky Next...

Well... having a proper weather radar in barebone FSX is still impossible....

Implementing the ASN weather feed into the system do deliver a working, proper WXR might not be impossible, but will still be a pretty big undertaking.

Well that'll teach me :). I guessed as much.

I mainly thought that allowing ASN access via an SDK (or however it would work exactly) would be more likely / easier for you guys then actually bundling a weather radar with the plane as other people were suggesting. I didn't mean to suggest that my option was realistic or easy to do, just that it was more easy than bundling the radar into the plane.

Thanks again for correcting me and for all the work you guys put in.

I mainly thought that allowing ASN access via an SDK (or however it would work exactly)

Well the thing is - it would work exactly the other way round. ASN will supply some kind of data... and the PMDG guys will have to take it, transform it, and put it on the ND in the right format, right position, right interaction with ranges, modes etc.

Gents-

Given that nobody has seen what HiFi is promising, it is impossible for us to make any evaluative statements on what can/cannot be done with it.

When HiFi feels ready to reach out with information on what thy are doing and how it all works, PMDG can make an evaluation as to whether we now have the information necessary to accurately simulate an effective radar model for our products.

I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's enthusiasm, but given what we already know of the FSX weather modeling system- I will remain cautiously pessimistic, yet hopeful that Damian and crew can pull a good sized rabbit out of their hat.

Now- lets pretend for a moment that they come up with a perfect model the first time, and it includes every piece of data required for us to accurately simulate the functionality of radar (a stretch- but we are pretending here for a moment):  I can tell you that we will not drop what we are already working on to put such functionality into existing product lines.  You wouldn't see us support it until we have had an opportunity to work it into the normal product development cycle.  (Which in this case would look like the 744v2.0 or later).

So don't get yourselves all wound up over something that 1) hasn't debuted yet and  2) may/may not meet our needs and 3) will take us time to adapt even if it does meet all needs.

Just a little dose of reality from your friend, RSR.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com