Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Sit back and enjoy the ride...let your A.I. crew take you there....

I downloaded a 'bus' 320 (freeware) today, and after flying a big iron route, decided to place myself into a seat just aft of the left wing, in the rendered cabin. After getting myself set up in height and such, and with looking out the window upon the rear edge and flaps of the left wing...hit 'let A.I. fly your plane'.

I had a ball, as XPX in A.I. control mode took me..er..'us'...out of the gate with A.T.C. happening between the A.I. flight crew (female on this trip) to our active at Pearson International (CYYZ), Toronto, and taxied to the active. It felt so real world, as the wing view out the passenger window swung into alignment on the runway. We started our roll....and soon, I actually had a small feel in the pit of my stomach as we rotated and quickly climbed at around 1800 FPM at lift-off. The sounds in the cabin, the flap motors, the undercarriage, were all there...and even the timbre of the big twins changed as the A.I. pilots adjusted for max climb.

If you haven't tried this....it sure was fun!

How do you get back into the cabin?  Well...you rotate yourself (view from the Captain's seat) so you are facing towards the left cockpit window. You then use your left arrow on the keyboard to 'move' your virtual self back through any bulkhead and features....just keep going until you 'arrive' at the seat position you want. Then you 'turn yourself' facing forward and then use the up/down arrows to place your head at the level of the backrest of the seat. 

Then....turn yourself to view out the window (if there is one for your model....) behind the wing, so you can enjoy any control action upon its elements and such...and sip that coffee, enjoy that magazine/book...and be a passenger right until you make the destination gate.

It was fun...and the XPX world with custom scenery I have...really looked the part at the assigned FL350 we were at cruise with, for the flight.....

I enjoy being a passenger-in-view, just as much as also of course, being the P.I.C. of the aircraft.

Try it, if you have not...and enjoy letting XPX get you there.......all the more if you have a very detailed inner virtual cabin to enjoy the flight....(smiles from the virtual cabin crew are free...so are the peanuts....). :)

Post Edit:  We just took off from EDDF (Frankfurt, Germany) and the latest OSM is stunning and most believable as it sweeps under my left trailing edge, wing view....the A.I. handles it all...and I'm looking forward now to our trip to Spain.....:) The highways are full of traffic...trains are moving down the tracks...and the OSM is sheer wonderful! BTW, the taxi to the runway as seen out the window...was just GREAT!  EDDF is handsomely rendered.....

Mitch

I get a kick out of being a virtual passenger too. And the more animation with the wing, the better.

I get a kick out of being a virtual passenger too. And the more animation with the wing, the better.

Yes sir, just another angle of enjoyment to try.  Had a great flight...and Larry...that OSM scenery REALLY looks the part as you view it just below the trailing edge of the wing. I enjoyed the taxi out from Frankfurt, the roll, rotation, and the sounds from the undercarriage hydro pumps and flaps are very well done in XPX. What a hoot!  The A.I. routine in XPX needs work, as sometimes the crew has gone off course and keeps acknowledging that from ATC, and then does no correction, stuff like that, but it is rare. The landing and approach is awesome, and again, so looks the part. I wish that FSX had such an option!

I have used my sims from every entertainment angle, such as I regularly cruise around the Carib (in real time, no less) in some of the best motor yachts you can get for FSX, and also, that is very realistic as per that sim. I like to create real-world events on my flights, such as having a virtual cottage on a chosen lake to fly into, dock at my water front, and then save the situation,...come back to it, and take out a good speed boat upon any of Orbx's well rendered regional lakes, etc.  Enjoy...cruise the shoreline, (do some fishing, lol) and then pack up and fly home to my FBO.  Good stuff, and if I ever win the Power Ball (yeah...right...right...)  that would be made a reality. So...I practice the Power Ball Scenario in XPX and FSX, lol until my ship might come in before the dock rots.....

Cheers,

This sounds like fun. I am curious, how do you choose your route for this?

You don't...it arbitrarily picks for you. You can start your flight from any airport though.