Sign in to follow this  
bhorsoft

For ATI Catalyst/Radeon users

My FSX was working beautifully until yesterday.  All the sudden, I started getting all the usual CTD symtoms.  What was peculiar was I could fly the standard FSX aircraft without changing airports or anything, but if I used a non-FSX aircraft (Feel There, Just Flight, PMDG, Abacus, etc.) it would CTD almost immediately after pressing the Fly button.  Uninstalled FSX and all aircraft and utilities and stuff, re-installed, still same after the fresh install.  Moved and removed all the standard DLL fixes - still no luck.  Finally went to the Windows application error log (I'm running Win7 x64).  I'm seeing FSX crashing on atiumdag.dll.  Google that and find out that is an ATI video DLL.  I had just updated the drivers to the 13.9 version for my Radeon 6900 series to the latest ones from 13.4 version.  When I completely uninstalled the Catalyst software and drivers and installed the older version back - FSX works fine now.

So, warning to you Catalyst users - latest versions for your Radeon cards might cause problems.  Wish I had figured this out first instead of last.

Thanks for the info.  We just had another individual here with that exact same faulting module and I told him he needed to reinstall his ATI video card drivers. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I second this. I had black screens and random CTDs with each CTD giving different dll faults ( atiumdag.dll being one of them ) when I select Free Flight after updating to 13.9. Strangely missions were loading fine though. Had to roll back my drivers to 13.4 and everything went back to normal again.

There are at least two other threads on this.

Do not install 13.9.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know where I can download this older version?

Thanks

Jacob

Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 9700k @ 5.1ghz | RTX 3090 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 RAM | 2 x Samsung Evo plus M.2.

Can confirm with my 2x 6870 HDs I get CTDs in 13.9 and 13.10 (all good with 13.6 beta 2 and earlier).  I did a bunch of testing and it must be something with DX9 cause DX10 works just fine.  DX9 does work as in you can get into flying, but the first time you open any menu item, it will cause FSX to crash.

A shame really sense 13.9 and 13.10 show great crossfire performance improvements in other games.

Disregard my last reply I found it was available on AMDs site, reinstalling win 7 now so hopefully fsx will work now :) 

Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 9700k @ 5.1ghz | RTX 3090 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 RAM | 2 x Samsung Evo plus M.2.

Hi,

Same here. I couldnt download the previous version 13.4.

I removed AMD/ATI catalyst

reboot

Installed the cd that came with the card.

Now fsx is running ok again.

I had CTD on exit, end flight, save flight.

Spend a lot of time reinstalling etc. I looked at the AMD forum but no reaction there on this issue, while there are several people mentioning it...

Hello guys. 

I read this topic a few months ago and I had the same problem after properly installing  the 13.9  update.  Went back to previous driver  and FSX is working fine again.  I just checked in again to see if there were any new updates.

I see that I have driver version 12.104 and Catalyst Version 13.4.. Would this be reasonable, meaning the Catlyst Control Version  13.4 has driver version 12.104?

Any suggestions as to which driver or Catalyst Control Center I should go to?

I have Radeon HD 6950 series, W 7, 64 bit.

Thanks for any help

Jack

Just use the new 13.11 Beta 9.2 or stick with 13.4

Dont mix and match Catalyst and driver. Just use whatever is the full package you download.

C.

Thanks. don't mix them. I was just wondering about future updates down the road ... may have to do the same thing again which is .... see if it works, if not revert  back to the old one... and only try it if it has the Catalyst control Center and Driver combo.  Would you agree?

Jack