Sign in to follow this  
sleightflight

latest ati driver doesn't work with fsx

Hi all, I installed the 13.9 drivers last night, I launched fsx & the home screen comes up as normal, I select aircraft, airport, time & date etc, click fly now & the loading screen comes up but not blacked out, I still see my desktop behind the centeal box loading bar. Loading takes twice as long & when it finally gets there I get the aircraft sounds but the screen shows my desk top. Put 13.4 in & all is back to normal. Weird., I've never known this with a driver before.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

What advantages did you expect from installing the new drivers?

What is it with you blokes? All the OP has said is what has happened. I suppose you've never installed new drivers, never updated software?

:rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Weird., I've never known this with a driver before.

I just posted as a heads up to other ati card users, I didn't expect any improvements nor was I seeking any as my sim was good anyway, I just tried it to see if it did give any visual improvement.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Hi all, I installed the 13.9 drivers last night, I launched fsx & the home screen comes up as normal, I select aircraft, airport, time & date etc, click fly now & the loading screen comes up but not blacked out, I still see my desktop behind the centeal box loading bar. Loading takes twice as long & when it finally gets there I get the aircraft sounds but the screen shows my desk top. Put 13.4 in & all is back to normal. Weird., I've never known this with a driver before.

I just installed the 13.9 drivers. I also had the 13.4 driver installed prior to installing the Catalyst 13.9 driver. Right after installing the newer driver I came on to the forums here and saw this thread. After reading your post sleightflight I was cringing with an "Oh no, I just installed them!" Of course, I decided to fire up FSX to see what would happen. Nothing wrong, no issue here that I can see so far. I loaded up the MilViz 737-200 and it seemed just fine. It was all I did before coming back to reply here. I haven't flown yet.

Anyway, whew! Sigh of relief on my end. I'd rather not have to go back to the older drivers if I don't need to.

My card is an HIS(ATI) IceQ Radeon HD 7850

You did uninstall the old driver before installing the newer one, correct?

Good luck,

Jim Richards

Yes I un installed the old driver first, although I have been doing a fresh install that I started around 4 weeks back & still have a lot to install, but I had only ever installed 12.4 as that was a good driver. My card is a msi 6970 twin frozr. I might try un installing 13.4 & trying again, although I like the way 13.4 looks & behaves, how are you finding the latest driver ?

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

Well, flying seems to work okay. Everything seems to look just fine. I just tried to go to the map and the sim crashed. Don't know if it has anything to do with the driver change or not. But anyway, I'm going to start the sim again and go to the map right away and see what happens. If it crashes again when trying to go to the map I'm going to revert to the 13.4's and see if the sim still crashes.

Cheers

Okay, I made a change in the Catalyst Control Panel before starting the sim again. I had previously been using 4x Adaptive Anti-Aliasing and I changed it to Multisampling just to see what that was like. I loaded up the plane and after a minute I went to the map. No crash. I then exited the sim to come here and report. I'll go back to Adaptive Anti-Aliasing to see if that causes a crash.

I must say I'm a little leery of the new drivers since you have reported having an issue, and I had a crash when trying to go to the map the first time after installing them. But I'll stick with the new drivers for little while to see how it goes.

Regards

Errr sorry, when I said Adaptive Anti-Aliasing I meant Adaptive Multisampling. I'll try Supersampling too.

Thanks for the link to that other thread abax2000.

I rebooted the computer for the second time since installing the 13.9's, just in case.

Well, there is something that has been happening that I didn't mention before but should have. Whenever I press 'Esc'(the Escape key) and either select to exit the flight or the sim, it crashes.

The 13.9's do seem to be wonky. I decided I'm going to go back to the Catalyst 13.4's which worked great.

Okay, another update.

I uninstalled the 13.9's fine using the Catalyst Install Manager. Installed the 13.4's with no problems to report. The sim is back to behaving great now. I hadn't flown in several days and upon switching between the two drivers, I believe that the color saturation was a little washed out looking under the 13.9's. With the 13.4's the coloration is good and crisp, no crashes going to the map view, nor when exiting a flight or exiting the sim from a flight. Everything seem pretty solid again.

Hope that helps fwiw,

Jim Richards