Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Which Traffic Program best for GA Flying?

I have searched the FSX forums with the key word 'traffic' and have come across some very good posts that seem to imply the top two traffic programs are Ultimate Traffic II, and myTraffic X Pro.

Since I exclusively fly GA aircraft, my question is which traffic program is the best for GA pilots, and why?  I couldn't find much on this by looking at the other posts.

Thank You,

Of the two; Ulitmate Traffic II.  The reason being that it splits Commercial and GA traffic into two separate traffic streams (for lack of a better description).  This means that you can control the % of GA and Commercial separately.  So 30% Commercial, 100% GA, etc. 

You can add GA aircraft from other sources (HTAI, DWAI, WOAI, etc.) to provide a greater variety of GA aircraft. They also provide a tool that allows you to add additonal flight plans to increase the number of GA aircraft.

Nothing against MyTraffic X Pro.  I own both UT2 and MyTraffic.. I just prefer UT2 because of the above.

A quick way to add GA traffic is to purchase the HTAI Cessna Single Engine prop pack from HTAI Models.  It includes a flight plan in FS9 format that you'll need to convert with AIFP, but once done you'll have tons of Cessnas flying about.

GA Traffic by Markus Brunner is another possiblilty.. Just do a search on "marcus brunner" in the Avsim library.  The program is self-explanatory (if you can get it to work. :-)\

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

One good free package comes from Orbx. Just check their support or freeware page. Plenty of models with one big installer. Might be a regional product but it will cover NA and Australia plus NZ I think.

/ sent from a mobile thingy /

airernie - Once again, you have come through for me.  Thanks.

Coolp - A very good idea and I thank you.

Opinions are also appreciated from other GA flyers.

Happy flying!

If you want mainly GA AI (e.g. because you fly mainly in sparsely populated areas, to and from small airfields, avoiding major airports), none of the two are really good. In that case I suggest to either set up your personal traffic using HTAI and others (I know that can be a really hard and long work, but it might be worth it), or use ORBX's freeware AI packages, as CoolP suggested. The latter will only give you AI in the NA and AU areas, though, but for sure they're the best option there.

If you really want a commercial package(as said above, that is probably not really advisable in your situation): I don't remember about UT2's GA aircraft - it's been too long that I quite using that - but many of the MTX GA aircraft are of very low quality (IMO, some of those are the weakest part of that program), so that can kill the immersion.

Finally, I'd like to say, that I am overall a satisfied MTX customer, but when it comes to GA flying (I nearly exclusively in Tongass Fjords, which comes with its own set of AI traffic and ORBX PNW, PFJ and SAK), I really enjoy diabling MTX and using solely ORBX traffic. That's IMO the best option there is, despite of its of course a bit limited coverage area

airernie - Once again, you have come through for me. Thanks.

Thanks.. However, I missed on the spelling of the name.  It should be "Markus Brunner" with a "k".  Got it confused it with a friend's name. :-)

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem