Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Best FSX addons

I use NotePad++ (Google).  It lays it out better than the Microsoft Notepad and you can see where entries begin/end better.  It's not a chore for the timid though.  If you have entries in there that you don't want loaded it is better to simply change the one line that has 'False' to 'True'. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If I could make one suggestion to the topic starter, I would try to go as native FSX as you can to start. You only need one add-on plane. I would recommend something easier to fly, because you have a lot of other stuff to learn. No need to throw a T7 on top of that. I would forget weather, traffic and just about every other add-on. Just fly for a while first.

After a few months maybe start looking at the other stuff.

JMHO

I don't run any mesh programs and I'm happy with my sim experience. I only fly props and jets so I don't have a reason to get all into the mesh thing. I would suggest that you take your time and don't rush in. The info provided here can be overwhelming to say the least.

1-For starters a good joystick like the Logitech Extreme 3d pro can get you going in the right direction.

2- Boeing 737 you cant go wrong with the PMDG NGX, the iFly 737 is good also but the NGX is the best 737 simulation for fsx period.

3- The only good Embraer jets that are worth it are the wilco/feelthere ones but they are dated.

4- For a good weather program look no further than FS Global Real Weather. Its the best weather program out there and it's very simple to use.

Now, with all that said and done....

Take your time and enjoy a vanilla fsx first. Then slowly build up. You'll avoid a lot of issues by taking it slow, seeing what works for you and build on that.

Reik Namreg

I use NotePad++ (Google).  It lays it out better than the Microsoft Notepad and you can see where entries begin/end better.  It's not a chore for the timid though.  If you have entries in there that you don't want loaded it is better to simply change the one line that has 'False' to 'True'. 

Best regards,

Jim

I will be sure to use that then. I am guessing that there are guides somewhere that explain how to do all the editing of the files?

I have used FS9 before so flight sims aren't totally brand new to me. I just never messed with any type of add on program or editing any file within the game.

Another suggestion is Rex Essential plus overdrive the textures will blow your mind away. Weather engine interface is pretty neat also i have been using rex for many years and until this date i have not came across a single problem.

Rex latitude is also another brilliant add-on to bring some realism into your flights i got this as soon as it comes out.

and i'm also interested in REX simair which is currently imminent release

heres the link http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/

I will be sure to use that then. I am guessing that there are guides somewhere that explain how to do all the editing of the files?

Yes.  This is the best one that I know of and provides guidance on editing or checking it for errors - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a92/dllxml-information-and-troubleshooting.aspx.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

For me its

REX Essentials + OD for WX

REX Latitude

Lots of Aerosoft airports and the Airbus X Extended

PMDG Aircraft

Carenado Aircraft

Alabeo Aircraft

Lots of OrbX regions and airports for bush flying

UK2000 Airports

and a lot more but I don't want to take up a whole page with one post. lol

Cheers

More great information thank you. I had not read much about the REX program before. So I take it that it's either Active Sky 2012 or REX+overdrive for weather and not both?

As I have been reading about all these programs it has amazed me how many different choices there are. I am really glad I asked about this or I would have just been buying stuff randomly and having no idea if it would work together.

Any PDMG is great (NGX, MD-11 and JS-41

Carenado GA

REX+overdrive to give me great cloud textures and good real time weather

Orbx Scenery is a must.

Any PDMG is great (NGX, MD-11 and JS-41

Carenado GA

REX+overdrive to give me great cloud textures and good real time weather

Orbx Scenery is a must.

I was going to ask if ORBX Global worked with the REX textures for like runways and everything. It appears it does so that's good. I did like the videos I saw of the REX program. The clouds and everything looked fantastic.

Also I haven't been able to find this answer. Do FS2crew and FSCaptain work together?

If they don't try to claim the same window or gauge position, I can't imagine they would.

Well you might have two co-pilots telling you to do this or that, but eventually you would know which one to listen to at what time.

Have to agree with REX Essentials+OD for great textures and weather engine. I use UTX and GTX for ground textures. AI traffic MTX is the best for being current and the best support.

Good luck.

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Sportsfan23, on 26 Sept 2013 - 2:11 PM, said:

I was going to ask if ORBX Global worked with the REX textures for like runways and everything. It appears it does so that's good. I did like the videos I saw of the REX program. The clouds and everything looked fantastic.

Yes, REX and FTXglobal work together great. I can't imagine FSX without both. And the plus with REX+OD is you get a top notch

weather program for realistic and accurate weather depiction along with all the textures. And since you will fly Jets, only one

choice.....PMDG. But I love all of A2A's aircraft also. So many choices so little time (and Money)sigh!

Have Fun,

Glen

Thank you all very helpful info. Ok well I know which weather program to get now. Glad that can be added to the list. I thought I saw a video on youtube of a guy that had both FScaptain and FS2crew working at the same time so maybe he was able to change the gauge position or something so they both could function at the same time.

It seems like FS2crew is like a real co-pilot and the FScaptain co-pilot is more there to tell you if you mess up or something but it doesn't go through checklists or anything like the FS2crew one does. Unless I am mistaken about that?