Sign in to follow this  
Jim Padgett

How to Move FSX to new drive.

I found myself with a 60 Gig SSD drive unused so I searched for ' How to ' move FSX to different drive with many varied methods from:

just copy FSX folder to new drive and change all registry keys to point to the new drive / folder ..

to:

FSX is like a virus when it installs... you are best to uninstall and reinstall to the new drive ....

These are all in my humble opion nothing more than hogwash ....

Here is how I did it with minimal effort...

Firstly... you can muck up your FSX if you don't understand the basics of files and folders of your computer system...  you  have been warned..

I run my system with UAC turned off so if you have it turned on be prepared to click a bunch more permissions buttons and such.

Now you can do this in a simplified safe manner if you are really scared .. so I will give you this method with notes for the non super safe method.

1 - Create a copy of your existing FSX install path on your new drive... 

Open explorer on your G: drive and select New Folder and name it Program Files (x86), select that folder and under it create another new folder and name it Microsoft Games ....

Example:

Current path for FSX :

for x64 bit windows 7

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games

for x32 bit windows 7     ( I am guessing at this because I have a 64 bit OS )

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games

So at this time you should have something like this  ( assume your new drive is  g: ) where the g: is whatever  your new drive letter is. (D, E, F...)

G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games

2. Copy your FSX folder to your new location  ( All files and folders in  your FSX folder HAVE to be copied....)

Open Explorer and select your FSX folder..  ( mine was Microsoft Flight Simulator X ) and copy it to your new drive..

( mine was G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games )

***  Non Super Safe Method ****

Move your  current FSX folder to your new drive ..

Open Explorer , select your FSX folder and ' cut '  then go to your new drive and select Paste

So at this time you should have something like this  ( assume your new drive is  g: ) where the g: is whatever  your new drive letter is. (D, E, F...)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

*** Non Super Safe Method****

G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

3. If you copied your FSX folder ...  rename it to something else on your original drive:

Change :  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X  to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\OLD Microsoft Flight Simulator X

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\OLD Microsoft Flight Simulator X

All we are doing  here is to make sure the original Microsoft Flight Simulator X  folder does not exist on your original drive.

Now for the fun part :

Open a cmd  or command prompt as administrator..

select your start button and type cmd in the search bar... right-click on the cmd.exe and select run as administrator

This will open a box with some text and something like   C:\Windows\system32> and a blinking cursor in it..

Note **  substitute your paths for mine ** 

Are we clear so far ?  good

Enter the command mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" "G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

The switch /d indicates that we are linking folders (directories). If your folder name has spaces, you have to enclose the path name in quotes.

If a link is successfully made, the command line will show a message “symbolic link created for ExistingName <<===>> G:\NewName”.

You should now be able to run FSX just like before, except all  your actual files will be located on your new drive.

If you copied your FSX folder you no longer need your  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\OLD Microsoft Flight Simulator X  folder..

but you can keep it if you want as a backup... it is your choice ..

From now on anytime you reference c:\program files (x86)\Microsfot Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X on your computer... you are actually pointing to your new drive install.... so always indicate when questioned ( for FSX install location ) your original C:\Program Files... path  ..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2