Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

Installing FSX again...it's been a while

Awaiting arrival of new rig and anticpating transition from FS9.  I ran FSX a few years ago but my rig lacked the horsepower to run it and all the superb addons at a reasonable level of performance. 

I've read NickN, Word Not Allowed, and Paul Johnson's consolidated FSX tweaking information in preparation.  Having purchased nearly every addon for FS9, I'm going to be a bit more judicious in the way I approach FSX this time around.  My basic gameplan is to load FSX in a dedicated 250GB SSD along with the OS (Win 64 Ultimate) and have a 1 TB HDD for expansion capes.  As I recall when I installed FSX a few years ago, I installed FSX deluxe to a root directory...reboot...defrag..then FSX acceleration...reboot..defrag..reboot.  Is that sequence correct?

Following baseline (FSX.cfg) and Nvidia (GTX 770 PCie3 2GB) tweaks, I plan on installing FSGenesis global mesh, UTX, FTX Global (DX10 fixer as well), and REX E + to build the environment, and then FS Global Real Weather to drive the weather engine.  Since I use VATSIM (Squawkbox 4) exclusively, I won't install any AI. Any recommendations on those environmental/weather installations? 

On the A/C front, I plan to install PMDG NGX as short/mid range option and eventually the 777 for long runs.  I'll probably add a twin GA like Carenado King or C90.  That's it for a while. 

I'll progressively add airports.  I really enjoyed FSDT products (after fixing alpha/MIPs), FlyTampa in FS9.  ORBX stuff looks brilliant.  Probably begin SE/E USA and expand westward, then long distance global hubs to support 777.

Are there any must haves (relative question)?.  I enjoyed AES in FS9, FSBuild for FP.  GSX looks promising.

Appreciate any recommendations or comments on this basic approach to rejoining FSX.  Thanks.

Rich Perry

New rig specs: i7 4820 4.8Ghz/Nvidia GTX 770/16GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM/Samsung 250GB SSD/Black Caviar 1TB HDD 7200rpm/SB Recon 5.1/Win7 Ultimate 64 bit

As I recall when I installed FSX a few years ago, I installed FSX deluxe to a root directory...reboot...defrag..then FSX acceleration...reboot..defrag..reboot. Is that sequence correct?

In general yes, but be sure to start a flight before starting the installation of Acceleration, and also before starting to install addons. So the whole sequence should be:

Install FSX - Start and activate FSX, start a free flight - reboot and defrag - install ACC - start and activate ACC, start a free flight - reboot and defrag - install addons.

EDIT: Don't defrag a SSD! Thanks to Ray Proudfoot for pointing out my mistake.

As fro the Twin: I'd suggest to rather take a look at the Real Air Dukes or the MilViz B55 and C310. They seem to have much better flight dynamics than the Carenado birds.

IMO the must-haves for the US are: KPHL (freeware), KJFK and KLAS (FSDT), KSAN (LatinVFR), probably KSFO and KPHX (FlightBeam), PANC (SimWings/Aerosoft) as well as a few ORBX airports like PAKT (PFJ region required), KHQM (freeware, but requires PNW region), KJAC (requires CRM or NRM, I'm never sure) and KBZN (same as KJAC)

Edited by FloG

Here's how I do it:

1. GENERAL PREPARATIONS

Before you install FSX it is wise to analyze the general state of your computer. If you don’t know how to make your computer and operating system run properly you will never have an optimal FSX experience. A computer will never perform better than the weakest link in the chain! Here are some very general steps to take before you start with anything related to FSX:

1. Backup! Before doing major changes to your computer make sure you have an up to date backup of all your important files. I routinely make backups on external hard drives that I store off site (in case of fire or burglary). Every two years I replace all my internal drives and store the old ones as up to date backup. Storage is cheap, and the most likely component to fail on your computer is your hard drives, so keep them fresh.
  1. Make sure your hardware is in good shape. Your computer should be cleaned regularly.  Dust accumulating on the internal components can create problems with cooling and introduce signal noise, hence making your computer unstable, and in worst case malfunction. Remember to unplug the power chord and use antistatic equipment when doing work inside your computer case.
  1. Reinstall and/or update Windows. If you have been running Windows for a long time (2+ years) and use a lot of software and hardware you should consider doing a complete reinstall of your computer’s operating system, software and hardware drivers. At least make sure all your Windows components and hardware firmware and drivers are up to date.
  1. Run diagnostics, malware and anti-virus software to test and clean your computer. That way you can identify problems with your computer before you start blaming FSX. There are countless options out there, but I use the following programs:
    1. Stability test: Passmark BurnIn Test .
    2. Graphics benchmarking: Futuremark 3DMark 06 (DX9) and 3DMark Vantage (DX10).
    3. Hard disk test and repair: Windows own Checkdisk (chkdsk).
    4. Malware: Malwarebytes.
    5. Anti-virus: Whatever tickles your fancyWindows Security Essentials

My Firewall and Anti-virus protection comes free from Microsoft. It is far from the best solution out there, but it works for me since I rarely have my PC connected to the Internet. You need to remember that there is no perfect solution out there. All protection software has flaws and you can’t catch every virus and trojan out there with a single program. That said, many gamers swear by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. It isn’t a resource hog like many other programs out there. Many of the most popular security suites do more harm than good. Some are almost impossible to uninstall, so do your research before you acquire such software!

Now, let’s get on with the show:

2. BACKUP FSX SPECIFIC FILES

If you are reinstalling FSX make sure you have backed up important files if you don’t want your logbook or rewards to be lost. I back up my saved flights, logbook and achievements/mission rewards regularly (you should too because the files might become corrupted), but if you don’t here are the files you need to save and back up:

1. Rewards:   \Documents and Settings\Computer Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\GrantedRewards.bin 
  1. Logbook:  \Documents and Settings\Computer Name\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\logbook.bin
  1. Saved flights:  \Documents and Settings\Computer Name\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

The simple way to do this is to copy and paste the “My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files” folder inside “My Documents”. That will create a new folder called “Flight Simulator X Files – copy”, then copy the file GrantedRewards.bin (from location shown in above list) to the new folder.

3. REMOVE INSTALLED ADDONS & FSX

Removing FSX and all installed addons takes almost as long as installing them. Beware that some addons require a manual approach, so keep those manuals close.

1. Remove all your addons first.
  1. Remove FSX from add/remove programs via the Windows Control Panel. Remember that you will need to uninstall FSX in several steps if you have SP2 or Acceleration installed.
  1. Delete the folder where FSX was installed. It will probably contain a lot of files left over from various addon installations. Then remove the following two folders (make sure you have backed up your logbook, rewards and saved files if you want to keep these):
  1. \Documents and Settings\Computer Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\
  1. \My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

CAUTION! Delete only the last folder in the tree, not the entire tree!
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, seek help!

1. I also like to remove hardware drivers for dedicated FSX peripherals like yokes, switch panels, instruments, pedals, TrackIR etc. Totally unnecessary, but I do it nonetheless to clean up everything properly.

Now that you have uninstalled every addon, utility, hardware driver, and FSX itself, restart your computer. It might be a good idea to scan through the Windows program list, the start menu and hard disk to see if all has been deleted.

3. PREPARING TO INSTALL FSX

Before we run the FSX installer there are a few more tasks to be done.

1. Clean your Windows registry.  Most software doesn’t clean up after itself when uninstalled, so a cleaning tool is necessary. I like to use CCleaner (got the tip from an Intel CPU factory manager, so I trust his advice).
  1. Run Windows Update to make sure all your windows components are up to date.
  1. Copy your FSX DVDs to a hard disk. It will save you time later when you need to reinstall FSX. It will also be a valuable backup if your DVDs get corrupted. Write down your serial codes in a text file and save it in the same folder as the FSX DVD copies.

4. STEP-BY-STEP INSTALLATION OF FSX

I would recommend everybody to get a copy of FSX Gold Edition if they still run the original retail edition. It contains FSX Deluxe and Acceleration in one package, includes the SDK (Software Development Kit), and saves you from downloading the service packs. Besides, the extra aircraft, scenery, missions and features are well worth it. Be aware that SP2 and Acceleration aren’t identical. There are features in Acceleration that aren’t present in SP2. For instance there are certain A2A Simulations addon aircraft that use some of these special features. Remember to follow the step-by-step guide religiously – don’t skip a step. Installing the SDK is optional and only for advanced users who develop or edit addons for FSX!

FSX

1. Install FSX.
    1. Don’t install FSX in the default Programs folder, but create a new dedicated folder on the root of a hard drive, preferably on a dedicated SSD drive (X:/FSX).
    2. Run FSX, activate it, start the default flight, then exit.
    3. Reboot your PC!
  2. Install FSX SP1.
    1. Run FSX and start the default flight, then exit.
    2. Reboot your PC!
  3. Install FSX SP2.
    1. Run FSX, start the default flight, then exit.
    2. Reboot your PC!

FSX + Acceleration

1. Install FSX.
    1. Don’t install FSX in the default Programs folder, but create a new dedicated folder on the root of a hard drive, preferably on a dedicated SSD drive (X:/FSX).
    3. Reboot your PC!
  2. Install Acceleration (it contains SP1 + SP2, so no need to install them separately).
    1. Run FSX Acceleration, activate it, start the default flight, then exit.
    2. Reboot your PC!

FSX DeLuxe

1. Install FSX.
    1. Don’t install FSX in the default Programs folder, but create a new dedicated folder on the root of a hard drive, preferably on a dedicated SSD drive (<DRIVE>:/FSX).
    3. Reboot your PC!
  2. Install SDK (located in a separate folder on the DVD).
    1. Since FSX isn’t installed in its default location, I recommend installing also the SDK in a custom folder right below the FSX folder (<DRIVE>:/FSX SDK/)
  3. Install FSX SP1.
    1. Run FSX and start the default flight, then exit.
    2. Reboot your PC!
  4. Install SDK SP1A.
  5. Install FSX SP2.
    1. Run FSX, start the default flight, then exit.
    2. Reboot your PC!
  6. Install SDK SP2.

FSX DeLuxe + Acceleration or FSX Gold Edition

1. Install FSX.
    3. Reboot your PC!
  2. Install SDK (located in a separate folder on the DVD).
    1. Since FSX isn’t installed in its default location, I recommend installing also the SDK in a custom folder right below the FSX folder (<DRIVE>:/FSX SDK/)
  3. Install Acceleration (it contains SP1 + SP2, so no need to install them separately).
    1. Run FSX, activate it and start the default flight, then exit.
    2. Reboot your PC!
  4. Install SDK SP1A (located in a separate folder on the Acceleration DVD).
  5. Install Acceleration SDK (located in a separate folder on the Acceleration DVD).

Download links for FSX and FSX SDK service packs:

FSX SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx

FSX SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx

SDK SPA1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10027

SDK SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FSXSDK-SP2Update.aspx

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

So the whole sequence should be:

Install FSX - Start and activate FSX, start a free flight - reboot and defrag - install ACC - start and activate ACC, start a free flight - reboot and defrag - install addons.

He's got an SSD so defragging should definitely not be done.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Oops, missed the SSD. You're right of course right then, Ray!

Corrected post above.

Thanks so much for the comprehensive recommendations. Do most of you run Win 7 64 bit in the windows classic mode?  Disadvantages/Advantages?  On my current system running FS9 (Vista 64 bit) I use CFF Explorer to "tell" FS9 to use more than 2GB memory--is there a similar step required for FSX with Win 7 64? 

Not to dwell on the OS (since there is another forum for that) but generally speaking, any big gotchas I should be aware of (I will be turning off UAC etc)?

Thanks again.

Rich Perry

On my current system running FS9 (Vista 64 bit) I use CFF Explorer to "tell" FS9 to use more than 2GB memory--is there a similar step required for FSX with Win 7 64?

No, that is solved with SP2 or Acceleration. FSX will use up to 4GB. Just be sure to apply this microsoft fix for heap limitation in Windows Vista and Windows7  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

p.s. UAC should be turned off

I just installed FSX last night on it's own PC by itself, nothing else will be on this computer.  Performance and FPS are amazing (never below 30, even over cities)  I only installed FTXG, OPUS and several payware airports.

Thanks so much for the comprehensive recommendations. Do most of you run Win 7 64 bit in the windows classic mode?  Disadvantages/Advantages?  On my current system running FS9 (Vista 64 bit) I use CFF Explorer to "tell" FS9 to use more than 2GB memory--is there a similar step required for FSX with Win 7 64? 

Not to dwell on the OS (since there is another forum for that) but generally speaking, any big gotchas I should be aware of (I will be turning off UAC etc)?

Thanks again.

Rich Perry

I run Win 7/64. Only advantages! Probably the best OS ever created by MS.

As for Windows turn off UAC and automatic updates. Also close any anti-virus/security programs while installing.

No need to tweak memory settings. FSX SP2 or Acceleration will take care of memory management for you.

After installation there are a few tips to keep in mind:

- Add the highmemfix=1 to the fsx.cfg

- Get hold of UiAutomationCore.dll and put it in the FSX root directory

- Install FSUIPC.

Just be sure to apply this microsoft fix for heap limitation in Windows Vista and Windows7  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

I wouldn't do that unless I had the problem it is supposed to solve "You may receive an "Out of Memory" error message because of the desktop heap limitation in Windows Vista or in Windows 7".

I haven't done the fix and have never experienced the error in two years running Windows 7/64 Professional.

As for Windows turn off UAC and automatic updates.

Could you please explain why you turn off automatic updates? Surely some of those could be critical? I would have it enabled but allow me to download at a time of my choosing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Could you please explain why you turn off automatic updates? Surely some of those could be critical? I would have it enabled but allow me to download at a time of my choosing.

Personal choice really. I rarely have my computers online, so I check for updates manually whenever I feel like it.

The reason you should turn off automatic updates is to avoid Windows starting to install things at the same time you do a major install, like FSX.

Also, if left fully automatic you might get driver updates that is plain wrong. It is also wise to not always install the latest release of a new update, patch or driver. They can come with bugs and be retracted. I like to wait a few days for some updates.

FSX users should be careful to update to the latest NVIDIA drivers for instance. If your current setup works, don't update before you are sure it is safe. If you use NVIDIA inspector new drivers might be incompatible.

Last, but not least, Windows Update itself is sometimes updated and settings are turned back to fully automatic! So check the WU settings regularly.

Personal choice really. I rarely have my computers online, so I check for updates manually whenever I feel like it.

Fair enough.

The reason you should turn off automatic updates is to avoid Windows starting to install things at the same time you do a major install, like FSX.

I can understand that would not be desirable.

Also, if left fully automatic you might get driver updates that is plain wrong. It is also wise to not always install the latest release of a new update, patch or driver. They can come with bugs and be retracted. I like to wait a few days for some updates.

Well certainly under XP it would never install the latest graphics drivers and I would hope that would remain the case with W7. That should not be part of the monthly OS updates anyway. On XP I do get notified by nVidia Control Panel later drivers are available but I just ignore it. I would hope that would continue to be the case with W7.

FSX users should be careful to update to the latest NVIDIA drivers for instance. If your current setup works, don't update before you are sure it is safe. If you use NVIDIA inspector new drivers might be incompatible.

I can't imagine any newer drivers benefiting FSX as it' such an old application. I'll probably stick with the latest certified drivers and would expect the OS or nVidia not to install them unless I granted permission.

Last, but not least, Windows Update itself is sometimes updated and settings are turned back to fully automatic! So check the WU settings regularly.

I can't remember that happening with XP but I'll keep an eye on that - thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I never install the NVIDIA control panel. Useless bloatware in my book. The less things running in the background the better, especially for an FSX computer.

It's been a while since I used XP, but I think the installing of hardware drivers through Winows Update is a new feature in Windows 7.